Hideki Matsui Negotiations - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

Hideki Matsui Negotiations

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby WharfRat » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:58 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:Looks like we're close...

The Yankees and outfielder Hideki Matsui are nearing an agreement on a four-year deal worth about $50 million, The Associated Press reports.
That'd be quite a raise for a player who was little better than expected while fulfilling the $21 million contract he received three years ago, and considering that he's now 31, he's a worse bet for the future than he was back then. Of course, since he brings in revenue just by being on the team, he doesn't need to be a $12 million-per-year player to be worth the money. Nov. 14 - 7:47 pm et
Source: The Associated Press

:-° This was making me nervous for a while...looks like it's heading home though. Just in the nick of time too - after today Matsui is free to enter the market fully. :-o
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tony Clark is my son » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:40 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Tony Clark is my son wrote:Matsui is worth the $50 M. But I like him in center, acquiring gGiles and putting him in left. Personally, I think Matsui's defense is quite good, but that's just me. He represents a complete player, one of very few.

I'm pretty sure Giles is a much better fielder than Matsui... :-?

Yeah, I could really go either way. My only thinking is that Giles is older and has much less experience in CF. Remember, Matsui played there his entire career and Giles has only really play there sporadically, and never really consistantly. But I do agree that, as far as defense is concerned, it could probably go either way...
Tony Clark is my son
College Coach
College Coach

Postby blankman » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:29 pm

I sure hope they got him wrapped up today :-o
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:51 pm

Hideki Matsui's four-year deal with the Yankees is now expected to be worth $52 million.
The deal will likely be officially agreed to tonight. If not, the two sides can push back the midnight deadline. Nov. 15 - 6:13 pm et
Source: The Associated Press

More of the same. $13 million per year is alot of money for him but he makes the Yanks alot of money just by being on the team. The international interest he draws to them is second to none. Hopefully they get the deal done tonight and we can focus on other big issues.
Last edited by BronXBombers51 on Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:06 pm

Not to nit pick, but that's $13 million per. :-o I guess for the Yankees that's no big deal (and no, I don't mean that as a dig), but has anyone actually produced any hard numbers on exactly how much he brings in from this abstract "foreign interest"? I'm genuinely interested in knowing because, I would think it would have to be on the order of $5-$6 million a season for the Yankees to break even on this new deal. I'm sure that's just mere pennies compared to what he actually brings in, but I'd be interested in knowing nonetheless. :-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby WharfRat » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:17 pm

I've wondered that myself, about the revenue Matsui really brings in. 13 mil isn't a huge amount relatively speaking (less than 7 percent of the annual payroll). When you think about Gojira's popularity in Japan, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Yanks were raking in the dough, between broadcast rights and cross-promotional deals, and the like.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:57 pm

WharfRat wrote:I've wondered that myself, about the revenue Matsui really brings in. 13 mil isn't a huge amount relatively speaking (less than 7 percent of the annual payroll). When you think about Gojira's popularity in Japan, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Yanks were raking in the dough, between broadcast rights and cross-promotional deals, and the like.

Yeah, I'm sure that his contract is mere peanuts compared to what they bring in globally by just having him. Guess I was just thinking outloud more than anything on that one. O:-)
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby da1chipo » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:54 pm

Yanks resign Matsui for 4 years, 52 mil. ;-D ;-D
da1chipo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Award-Winning Graphics Expert