Centerfield Solution: Corey Patterson? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

Centerfield Solution: Corey Patterson?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:11 pm

dyuen87 wrote:So with Winter Meetings over here are the remaining options for CF.

1. Johnny Damon- has come out in Boston papers and said he would like to play for the Yankess. :-o
2. Corey Patterson- with the acquisition of Juan Pierre, and maybe Bradley on the horizon, the Cubs will be looking to deal him. He's still young and has a good amount of potential. If the price is right (basically if they're looking to unload) i'm sure cashman will give them a call.
3. Nomar Garciapara- nomar's agent contacted the yankees and has said he is willing to play in center field. how seriously cashman considers this is anyone's guess right now.
4. Bubba Crosby- my choice until Cashman solidifies the bullpen. i can live with him IF we have a strong pen. decent defense and should be fine in the yankee lineup. this'll give cashman a shot next offseason to get a good defensive cf, maybe cameron.

1. No.
2. God no.
3. Good God no.
4. Well, it will be worse than Bernie but not as bad as Womack.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby luckygehrig » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:22 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:
dyuen87 wrote:So with Winter Meetings over here are the remaining options for CF.

1. Johnny Damon- has come out in Boston papers and said he would like to play for the Yankess. :-o
2. Corey Patterson- with the acquisition of Juan Pierre, and maybe Bradley on the horizon, the Cubs will be looking to deal him. He's still young and has a good amount of potential. If the price is right (basically if they're looking to unload) i'm sure cashman will give them a call.
3. Nomar Garciapara- nomar's agent contacted the yankees and has said he is willing to play in center field. how seriously cashman considers this is anyone's guess right now.
4. Bubba Crosby- my choice until Cashman solidifies the bullpen. i can live with him IF we have a strong pen. decent defense and should be fine in the yankee lineup. this'll give cashman a shot next offseason to get a good defensive cf, maybe cameron.

1. No.
2. God no.
3. Good God no.
4. Well, it will be worse than Bernie but not as bad as Womack.

So what would you have the Yankees do this year? I always see you on here complaining but never offering up solutions. I don't think Bubba can be worse than Bernie was last year. The Yanks really don't need power out of their CF. What they need is someone who can get on base in front of the big hitters and someone who plays solid defense. It's anyones guess as to what Crosby can do in the starting lineup for a full season.

I guess my point here is, Who would you rather have in CF this year, that the Yanks could get for a reasonable price?
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:52 pm

I'd try to deal cheaply for someone like Jason Michaels or Nook Logan but if it's not possible, I'd stick with Crosby. He will not be worse than Bernie for the sole fact that he can play defense. We don't need a big bat from CF based on the rest of our lineup. Good D in CF should be adequate enough.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby sashababe » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:09 pm

Patterson's a very good defensive player. He's just struggled in the last couple of years. He used to be a great lead-off. Super fast, that man. I would be sad though, because I like Corey, even if he sucked this season. But he's better than Johnny and Nomar for center. Just because no one wants Red Sox on the team. Haha.
NO BUBBA. He's good, but he, according to me, ruined the Yanks chance for the WS. If he hadn't tried to get Sheffield's ball in the game that decided who would play the White Sox, that wouldn't have been a triple, which wouldn't have scored more runs, which would've given the Yankees a better chance to win. Yeesh.
sashababe Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby WharfRat » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:03 pm

sashababe wrote:Patterson's a very good defensive player. He's just struggled in the last couple of years. He used to be a great lead-off. Super fast, that man. I would be sad though, because I like Corey, even if he sucked this season. But he's better than Johnny and Nomar for center. Just because no one wants Red Sox on the team. Haha.
NO BUBBA. He's good, but he, according to me, ruined the Yanks chance for the WS. If he hadn't tried to get Sheffield's ball in the game that decided who would play the White Sox, that wouldn't have been a triple, which wouldn't have scored more runs, which would've given the Yankees a better chance to win. Yeesh.

You can't judge a player's worth based on one bad postseason moment.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby luckygehrig » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:21 pm

sashababe wrote:Patterson's a very good defensive player. He's just struggled in the last couple of years. He used to be a great lead-off. Super fast, that man. I would be sad though, because I like Corey, even if he sucked this season. But he's better than Johnny and Nomar for center. Just because no one wants Red Sox on the team. Haha.

Patterson only topped .300 in OBP twice. I think this last season he reverted back to his prior self rather than "slumped" for a season. Also his defense hasn't been that impressive the last couple of years either. Go to espn.com and check out his Zone Rating or Range Factor. He wouldn't be much of an improvement over Bernie last year. His RF was higher but his ZR was even lower. Career-wise his defensive numbers are almost identical to Bernie's. Meanwhile, Bubba's ZR and RF are much higher in CF. Granted, it's a smaller sample size, but there's still 41 games counted into it. Yeah, he's probably not the ideal CF for the Yanks, but he's not that bad either, and he's much better than Patterson.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby davidmarver » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:25 pm

He may be out of the question due to 2004, but I just wanna throw out there that Dave Roberts currently doesn't have a starting spot.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:49 pm

davidmarver wrote:He may be out of the question due to 2004, but I just wanna throw out there that Dave Roberts currently doesn't have a starting spot.

Who's your LF? I thought Roberts was? :-?

I wouldn't want him anyway though. He's a subpar offensive option, and his defense has been pretty bad over the last few years. The only thing that he has going for him is his speed, and that is offset by the fact that he's always injured.

Plus the Yankees would have to give something up for him. I'm not sure what it would be, but Boston was going to give up David Wells, and that price seems a little steep.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby sashababe » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:50 pm

WharfRat wrote:

You can't judge a player's worth based on one bad postseason moment.

Oh, I know, and I never do. This time is an exception because I didn't want the Sox to win.
sashababe Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby sashababe » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:01 pm

luckygehrig wrote:

Patterson only topped .300 in OBP twice. I think this last season he reverted back to his prior self rather than "slumped" for a season. Also his defense hasn't been that impressive the last couple of years either. Go to espn.com and check out his Zone Rating or Range Factor. He wouldn't be much of an improvement over Bernie last year. His RF was higher but his ZR was even lower. Career-wise his defensive numbers are almost identical to Bernie's. Meanwhile, Bubba's ZR and RF are much higher in CF. Granted, it's a smaller sample size, but there's still 41 games counted into it. Yeah, he's probably not the ideal CF for the Yanks, but he's not that bad either, and he's much better than Patterson.

I agree with everything you said except that he returned to his "prior" self as opposed to slumping for 2005. But that's just personal opinion, so no matter.
sashababe Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Previous

Return to New York Yankees