Centerfield Solution: Corey Patterson? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

Centerfield Solution: Corey Patterson?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Centerfield Solution: Corey Patterson?

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:40 pm

I've been checking out some possible CF solutions for the Yankees and I've seen Corey Patterson's name come up a few times. I think it might be something to look at, though I'm not yet sure how I feel about him.

Initially, I thought he would be a very good fit. He's 26 years old and the Cubs are looking to trade him. He's got potential on offense. Most people thought/think he had/has the ability to be a 30-30 type player. He could fill in at the bottom of the order and could likely be gotten fairly cheaply.

I thought he played good defense but I was shocked when I looked at his numbers. His RF has been pretty bad over the past few years when put into context with other CFs. His ZR is mediocre as well, and his assists suggest that he has a decent arm.

If it weren't for those RF numbers I'd say this guy would be a very nice fit, but now I'm not so sure. What is your take on Corey Patterson, and feel free to throw in some other under the radar names that could potentially fill the CF hole on the Yankee roster.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WharfRat » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:06 pm

I do not want Corey Patterson anywhere near the Bronx, unless it's as a visitor. :-P

Tons of talent, but little to show for it by way of on-field improvement. If he can't learn to play, he's useless. I'd been under the impression for a while that Patterson is no ace fielder, so I'm not all that surprised by those numbers.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

No thanks

Postby The Big Stick » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:02 pm

Corey Patterson
Career stats:
AVG .252 OBP .293 HR 70 (13 HR in 2003, 2004 24 2005 13).
RBI 231 (RBI 55 2003, 2004 72, 2005 34) I think NOT :-t
Signature by: RedWoodTree824
Minor League Mentor

Re: No thanks

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:12 pm

The Big Stick wrote:Corey Patterson
Career stats:
AVG .252 OBP .293 HR 70 (13 HR in 2003, 2004 24 2005 13).
RBI 231 (RBI 55 2003, 2004 72, 2005 34) I think NOT :-t

Who cares about his offensive numbers. It's his defense which has turned me off to him. If he played solid defense like I initially thought, I'd be all for him.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Big Stick » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:02 pm

Who cares about his offensive numbers. It's his defense which has turned me off to him. If he played solid defense like I initially thought, I'd be all for him.[/quote]

Last I checked no one wins a 0-0 games. The point is that I much rather have a guy on my team who has the ability to win baseball games with both hitting and D. I DO NOT feel like he has that ability. With all due respect thanks but, no thanks!
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tony Clark is my son » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:15 pm

Patterson is not a good defender. Patterson is not a good hitter. He was demoted to the minors in midseason last year. He's been critisized for his "lack of instinct." I don't really think he'll ever be a great player, and moving the the Bronx would be a horrible decision.

Give me Giles.
Give me Hunter.
Give me Pierre.
Give me flippin' Bubba Crosby.
Just color me not a Corey Patterson fan.

:-t
Tony Clark is my son
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Big Stick » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:21 pm

Thank you..... I agree no C Paterson
Minor League Mentor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:32 pm

The Big Stick wrote:Who cares about his offensive numbers. It's his defense which has turned me off to him. If he played solid defense like I initially thought, I'd be all for him.

Last I checked no one wins a 0-0 games. The point is that I much rather have a guy on my team who has the ability to win baseball games with both hitting and D. I DO NOT feel like he has that ability. With all due respect thanks but, no thanks!

Last I checked, teams with Alex Rodriguez, Gary Sheffield, Hideki Matsui, Derek Jeter, Jason Giambi and Jorge Posada don't usually score 0 runs.

Of course you'd like a great hitter with a great glove. Who wouldn't? The fact is, there aren't players like that out there that exist. Patterson, or any other CF available's offensive numbers are not something we should be concerned with. I'll take a .220 hitter to play CF if he can play gold glove defense in a second.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mugwump » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:45 pm

NO COREY PATTERSON!
I was in Los Angeles, and the team was playing in San Diego, but I didn't know it. I had taken LSD at noon. I thought it was an off-day. At 1pm, my girlfriend and trip partner looked at the paper and said, "Dock, you're pitching today!"
Mugwump
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dyuen87 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:52 pm

So with Winter Meetings over here are the remaining options for CF.

1. Johnny Damon- has come out in Boston papers and said he would like to play for the Yankess. :-o
2. Corey Patterson- with the acquisition of Juan Pierre, and maybe Bradley on the horizon, the Cubs will be looking to deal him. He's still young and has a good amount of potential. If the price is right (basically if they're looking to unload) i'm sure cashman will give them a call.
3. Nomar Garciapara- nomar's agent contacted the yankees and has said he is willing to play in center field. how seriously cashman considers this is anyone's guess right now.
4. Bubba Crosby- my choice until Cashman solidifies the bullpen. i can live with him IF we have a strong pen. decent defense and should be fine in the yankee lineup. this'll give cashman a shot next offseason to get a good defensive cf, maybe cameron.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to New York Yankees