Watcha think? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Fantasy Logo & Avatar Requests

Watcha think?

Moderators: deluxe_247, kimchi_chigae, Mookie4ever, Baseball Moderators

Postby menyak » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:23 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:here are some ideas... :-B

let's make this contest H2H. B-) let's see how many guys have replied to the contest thread saying that they would be interested in participating:

LooseCannon
da1chipo
go_jays_go
_Simulacrum_
RynMan
baseball6791
bigh0rt
leal72
RyanK
sfgfan4life
gogogadget
MMoNeY24
Crimedogg32
menyak
kimchi_chigae
mustangs might also participate if we twist his arm.

that's 16 right there. let's make a bracket and have these guys face each other. say bigh0rt faces leal72 in the first round and whoever gets more votes on that matchup gets the winner of say...MMoNeY24 and RynMan in the 2nd Round.

each round we would have a different theme. we can decide this later or let the mod decide himself and annouce the theme a week or two before the deadline to submit the sig. a first round theme could be current shortstops, then in the second round we could have a AL East theme and so on.

each artist must submit only one sig per round and the sig should be PMed to the moderator. the mod then sets up the matchup, but does not post the name of the author of the sigs, those would be revealed at the end of the voting period for each particular matchup.

this contest would have to fit the cafe sig limit. IMHO 12k or full size won't make much of a difference on how the artist makes the sig, they are prolly gonna be made the same way and one of the two he will choose to downsize to 12k, but as we can see with MMoNeY24's current dontrelle willis sig, you can still do some pretty amazing work under 12k. if anything, 12k should be harder to make than a full size sig, this is a contest, so let the best artists shine.

let's say we have a field of 16 for the contest. the two finalists would have to make 4 sigs to win the tourney. we would get to see more of the artist's works on different themes. we could also add a repechage round for those knocked off the first round still have a chance of winning the contest.

perhaps we could set up another forum just for this battle and the whole contest would take about 2 months depending on how much time we give the artists to make a sig for each round. most of us are cafe regulars, so i don't think 2 months would be a problem.

;-D

Like those ideas! ;-D If we do a bracket over such a long time, maybe you'd have to enter a new sig for every round? :-?

Let me sum up what I think: the BIG annual contest should be following the same rules as on the football side. There's still a lot of time left, but probably it'll be close to what I suggested in my first post to this thread.

The smaller contests throughout the year will be pretty flexible, with an emphasis on variety (different themes, different rules, different formats, brackets, sometimes animation, sometimes limits, sometimes not). If we find a procedure that's ultimately cool, we can also adopt the main contest to accomodate it.

Speaking of themes - it might also be interesting to do a contest with certain criteria, e.g. "funniest sig" where the artistic value isn't that important.

Who wants to be in charge of this anyway? Mookie? Kimchi? Anybody else? :-?
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
WebmasterCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 3050
Joined: 4 Jan 2002
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Offline on even days

Postby go_jays_go » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:32 pm

I'll help out with this. I think it's a great idea KC.

When doing the brackets though, we shouldn't tell who's sigs they are until the end of the matchup. Once the votes have been tallied, we will tell the winner. That was it gives it more secrecy and eliminates some of favourism.

Sound good?
Image
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 10462
Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto, Canada

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:48 pm

menyak wrote:Like those ideas! ;-D If we do a bracket over such a long time, maybe you'd have to enter a new sig for every round? :-?


yes, we'd have to submit a new sig for every round.

go_jays_go wrote:When doing the brackets though, we shouldn't tell who's sigs they are until the end of the matchup. Once the votes have been tallied, we will tell the winner. That was it gives it more secrecy and eliminates some of favourism.


yep. i also think the names shouldn't be revealed until the voting is over, just like it was in the football side.

menyak wrote:Let me sum up what I think: the BIG annual contest should be following the same rules as on the football side. There's still a lot of time left, but probably it'll be close to what I suggested in my first post to this thread.

The smaller contests throughout the year will be pretty flexible, with an emphasis on variety (different themes, different rules, different formats, brackets, sometimes animation, sometimes limits, sometimes not). If we find a procedure that's ultimately cool, we can also adopt the main contest to accomodate it.

Speaking of themes - it might also be interesting to do a contest with certain criteria, e.g. "funniest sig" where the artistic value isn't that important.


sounds good to me. i like the idea of the big annual contest and also having smaller contests througout the year to keep you guys busy. :-b

menyak wrote:Who wants to be in charge of this anyway? Mookie? Kimchi? Anybody else? :-?


i'd be happy to help out. ;-D working with mook might be a problem, but i think we can manage that for the good of the cafe. :-D
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 14875
(Past Year: 194)
Joined: 27 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Osaka Jail

Postby LooseCannon » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:33 pm

The H2H thing will be awesome... it should probably be "seeded" by artists "invisibly" so Leal and Money or someone don't face in the first round with amazing sigs...
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4769
Joined: 17 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: In leather chair surfing the World Wide Web

Postby baseball6791 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:34 pm

LooseCannon wrote:The H2H thing will be awesome... it should probably be "seeded" by artists "invisibly" so Leal and Money or someone don't face in the first round with amazing sigs...


Yeah I agree, although I think that we should definitely have a chance for guys to get back in because if you end up having to face Leal or Money or Hort etc. in the first round then you are done !+)
Image

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4368
Joined: 23 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:38 am

baseball6791 wrote:
LooseCannon wrote:The H2H thing will be awesome... it should probably be "seeded" by artists "invisibly" so Leal and Money or someone don't face in the first round with amazing sigs...


Yeah I agree, although I think that we should definitely have a chance for guys to get back in because if you end up having to face Leal or Money or Hort etc. in the first round then you are done !+)


that's why i suggested a repechage round after round one. :-)

that way the losers in the first round will get a change to make another sig and get back in the main bracket. ;-D
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 14875
(Past Year: 194)
Joined: 27 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Osaka Jail

Postby go_jays_go » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:42 am

kimchi_chigae wrote:
baseball6791 wrote:
LooseCannon wrote:The H2H thing will be awesome... it should probably be "seeded" by artists "invisibly" so Leal and Money or someone don't face in the first round with amazing sigs...


Yeah I agree, although I think that we should definitely have a chance for guys to get back in because if you end up having to face Leal or Money or Hort etc. in the first round then you are done !+)


that's why i suggested a repechage round after round one. :-)

that way the losers in the first round will get a change to make another sig and get back in the main bracket. ;-D


This is sounding better every post.

I can't wait. :-)
Image
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 10462
Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto, Canada

Postby Crimedogg32 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:19 am

sounds cool
Crimedogg32
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 299
Joined: 30 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Target Field

Postby LooseCannon » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:09 am

So we are going to have a consolation, too? Sounds great. ;-D
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4769
Joined: 17 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: In leather chair surfing the World Wide Web

Postby WickedSmaat » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:52 pm

It's been kind of stagnat now, but I would be very interested in doing this. The sig I'm wearing is actually my first one.

I like the ideas that are flowing out of everyones mouths ;-D
Image
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2068
Joined: 2 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Shooting for par

PreviousNext

Return to Fantasy Logo & Avatar Requests

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 13:43 hours
(and 95 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact