Watcha think? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Fantasy Logo & Avatar Requests

Watcha think?

Moderators: deluxe_247, kimchi_chigae, Mookie4ever, Baseball Moderators

Watcha think?

Postby menyak » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:59 am

Guys,

Before we run our first sig contest over here, let me run this by you first. :-)

We're already having big plans on the football side, and I was wondering if maybe we just want to tie the baseball side into that system (with similar rules and all). If we want to do things differently over here, that's cool, but then I think it should be a conscious decision, after seeing what we plan for the "other" side, and dismissing it. ;-) Anyway, here are the basics:

- No sigs should ever be bigger than 468x100.

- One big contest per year (comparable to THE academy awards), with the winner getting a special icon and (at some point in the future) possibly even a prize. For football, that's in October, for baseball - maybe early May?

- Two main categories, #1 freestyle (468x100, but animations and as many MBs as you want), #2 cafestyle (no animations, 12k limit).

- Only one entry per person/contest.

- Smaller contests arount the year, mostly wrapped around a special "theme" - e.g. Xmas sigs (or avatars?), Homeruns, etc.

Hope I didn't forget anything. In my book, keeping the 468x100 limits is fairly important (that's what sigs simply look like here at the Cafe - otherwise this will turn into a more general graphics contest), other than that, we're more or less open to suggestions. Let me note however that I think it would be cool if baseball and football side could be in the same boat with this. Instead of having a WBO and a WBC who mostly care about themselves, we'd be more in the direction of a Pro Tour with two ultimate season highlights and a couple of smaller events. Different preferences would be ok (if the baseball side doesn't allow animations - fine) - comparable maybe to tournaments on hard court vs. clay court tennis. But it would be good if in the end it's still recognizable as the same sport - I'm pretty sure that, in the long run, it would benefit everyone. ;-)
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:14 pm

Woo Hoo! more artist icons! ;-D :-D

I love all of the ideas but I would be more in favour of a baseball graphics king and a seperate football graphics king. If we just had one title and it was a contest that we voted on then I'm pretty sure that the voting would be split on cafe allegiance lines with football guys voting for the football artists and the baseball guys voting for the baseball artists and Cornbread Maxwell's head exploding :-b

If we could hand out two crowns that would be great and then maybe there could be a showdown between the two winners doing either hockey or basketball sigs or on a subject that is chosen at random so that the voters do not know if they are baseball or football guys. So it would be kind of like the AL and NL champs fighting out the WS.

The holiday and special event themes would be great too. I personally would like to see menyak and Arlo offer to wear the winner's sigs for these contests. There would be a certain amount of honour in having the boss wear your sig :-B

I'm sure the baseball artists will have a lot of suggestions to make as well.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby menyak » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:23 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I love all of the ideas but I would be more in favour of a baseball graphics king and a seperate football graphics king. If we just had one title and it was a contest that we voted on then I'm pretty sure that the voting would be split on cafe allegiance lines with football guys voting for the football artists and the baseball guys voting for the baseball artists and Cornbread Maxwell's head exploding :-b

Absolutely - that's what I meant, one big yearly contest per Cafe. Sorry for the confusion! O:-)

Mookie4ever wrote:The holiday and special event themes would be great too. I personally would like to see menyak and Arlo offer to wear the winner's sigs for these contests. There would be a certain amount of honour in having the boss wear your sig :-B

You mean, Arlo get's to wear a "menyak stinks" sig, and mine will say "Arlo is dumb"? :-? And all with Rudolph the Reindeer in the background? Yay! :-B Anyway, realistically I'm not quite sure if this would still be a contest about artistic value. ;-)
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby LooseCannon » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:28 pm

Well personally I think that for the contest alone we should move the height to 125... more stuff to fit in... and also we agreed that there shouldn't be animations....

BTW I think we should decide if people are allowed to enter more than one sig. The football side had some people enter more than one sig.
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Watcha think?

Postby baseball6791 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:16 pm

menyak wrote:Guys,

Before we run our first sig contest over here, let me run this by you first. :-)

We're already having big plans on the football side, and I was wondering if maybe we just want to tie the baseball side into that system (with similar rules and all). If we want to do things differently over here, that's cool, but then I think it should be a conscious decision, after seeing what we plan for the "other" side, and dismissing it. ;-) Anyway, here are the basics:

- No sigs should ever be bigger than 468x100.

- One big contest per year (comparable to THE academy awards), with the winner getting a special icon and (at some point in the future) possibly even a prize. For football, that's in October, for baseball - maybe early May?

- Two main categories, #1 freestyle (468x100, but animations and as many MBs as you want), #2 cafestyle (no animations, 12k limit).

- Only one entry per person/contest.

- Smaller contests arount the year, mostly wrapped around a special "theme" - e.g. Xmas sigs (or avatars?), Homeruns, etc.

Hope I didn't forget anything. In my book, keeping the 468x100 limits is fairly important (that's what sigs simply look like here at the Cafe - otherwise this will turn into a more general graphics contest), other than that, we're more or less open to suggestions. Let me note however that I think it would be cool if baseball and football side could be in the same boat with this. Instead of having a WBO and a WBC who mostly care about themselves, we'd be more in the direction of a Pro Tour with two ultimate season highlights and a couple of smaller events. Different preferences would be ok (if the baseball side doesn't allow animations - fine) - comparable maybe to tournaments on hard court vs. clay court tennis. But it would be good if in the end it's still recognizable as the same sport - I'm pretty sure that, in the long run, it would benefit everyone. ;-)

I really like this setup personally, the only change I would make is that for the "cafestyle" side of the contest we should be able to make the sig full size. One questions though, would you be allowed to enter one sig each in freestyle and cafestyle or 1 total?

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby MMoNeY24 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:24 pm

Seperating animation and regular cafe style is probably a good idea. I've messed around with some animation, but I'm not good at all. As seen in the last football contest, the animated ones finished on top and wrecked some other pretty solid sigs. Not taking away from the artists who did the animated ones as the sigs were still nice without animation, but animation is appealing to alot of voters and it's just better to seperate.

Overall, good ideas - I'm already looking forward to get involved. ;-D
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby LooseCannon » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:25 pm

Mmoney, You should have waited to enter that D-Train sig it's absolutely amazing...
Last edited by LooseCannon on Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Watcha think?

Postby menyak » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:26 pm

baseball6791 wrote:I really like this setup personally, the only change I would make is that for the "cafestyle" side of the contest we should be able to make the sig full size.

Well, in theory, there are four categories:
- 12k, animations
- 12k, no animations
- full size, animations
- full size, no animations

The idea was that too many categories would just water things down and make it less interesting. So we tossed out "12k, animations" because it's probably hard/impossible to animate on that level anyway. The other thought was that there should be at least one category that applies to Cafe standards. Doesn't make much sense when virtually all sigs from the Cafe contest actually can't be used at the Cafe. :-? So that's how we came up with the idea of a "strict" class (where part of the art is making the best out of the limited ressources available) and an "open" class where almost anything goes.
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby go_jays_go » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:28 pm

Menyak, I'm really digging the idea. ;-D;-D

Would you notify us when all the mini-contests arise?

Also, for the no limit ones, maybe if we could just leave animations in their own category, because they usually get all the votes because of the effect.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby leal72 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:19 pm

I agree that the dimension limits should be that of the cafe 468x100

I like the classes

- 12k, no animations
- full size, animations
- full size, no animations

but 12k animation 8-o, I guess never say never but I highly doubt that will work out.
leal72
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to Fantasy Logo & Avatar Requests