Carpenter wins NL Cy Young - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Carpenter wins NL Cy Young

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:55 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Yoda wrote:With Carpenter winning the Cy, one thing is for sure. He will be the most overvalued pitcher going into the 06 draft. I will avoid him like the plague. :-D

I don't quite understand this. He has always had the talent but was never able to put it together, mostly cause of injuries. Granted expecting a repeat of this year is a bad idea but his 2004 year shows that he isn't a fluke.

he's not even close to being a fluke. i'd be more scared about drafting dontrelle willis than carpenter next year. he's the sure thing. even in 04 he had a great season, and that was after he was out all 03.

his august and september in 04 look like

august:
25.1IP 27K 2.13ERA 0.97WHIP

september:
22.1IP 18K 2.42ERA 1.07WHIP

pretty impressive, huh? ;-)
Last edited by kimchi_chigae on Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:22 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
Yoda wrote:With Carpenter winning the Cy, one thing is for sure. He will be the most overvalued pitcher going into the 06 draft. I will avoid him like the plague. :-D

I don't quite understand this. He has always had the talent but was never able to put it together, mostly cause of injuries. Granted expecting a repeat of this year is a bad idea but his 2004 year shows that he isn't a fluke.

he's not even close to being a fluke. i'd be more scared about drafting dontrelle willis than carpenter next year. he's the sure thing. even in 04 he had a great season, and that was after he was out all 03.

his august and september in 03 look like

august:

september:

I won't be touching D-Train either.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Yoda » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:23 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
kimchi_chigae wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:

august:

september:

Exactly
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:15 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:
SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:Clemens should have won it, but I'll take it. ;-D Now it's up to Pujols to make it a Cy/MVP sweep. O:-)

When Derek Lee should be getting it? :-D

No, I completely agree. I think Lee deserves it more than anyone else hands down considering who he was surrounded by and the fact that he single handedly kept them withing any kind of sniffing distance of mediocrity most of the year IMO.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby baseball6791 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:20 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
kimchi_chigae wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:

august:

september:

Me too, I've seen both going as high as the 2nd round, Carp even in the back end of the first in some places, which is way to early for either of them.

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Apollo » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:32 pm

all three deserved to win. i think the AL should have given it's Cy Young to the NL to use.

See, I've heard this several times, but I don't know about this.

Best pitcher in the AL:
Code: Select all
231.2 IP, 180 H, 22 HR, 238 Ks, .210 BAA, 0.97 WHIP, 2.87 ERA.

Best pitchers in the NL:
241.2 IP, 204 H, 18 HR, 213/51 K/BB, 231 BAA., 1.06 WHIP, . 2.83 ERA.
211.1 IP, 151 H, 11 HR, 185/62 K/BB, .198 BAA. 1.01 WHIP,  1.87 ERA.
236.1 IP, 213 H, 11 HR, 170/55 K/BB, .243 BAA. 1.13 WHIP,  2.63 ERA.

That AL pitcher is at least on par with any of the NL pitchers. More Ks, the only WHIP below 1, right up there in IP with the best of the NL--and all while not having the pitcher to strike out.

Of course, that AL pitcher didn't WIN his Cy Young Award... :-P

It's funny that Santana would have been my choice for the best pitcher in either league, and didn't get a Cy.
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Yoda » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:57 pm

Apollo wrote:
all three deserved to win. i think the AL should have given it's Cy Young to the NL to use.

See, I've heard this several times, but I don't know about this.

Best pitcher in the AL:
231.2 IP, 180 H, 22 HR, 238 Ks, .210 BAA, 0.97 WHIP, 2.87 ERA.

Best pitchers in the NL:
241.2 IP, 204 H, 18 HR, 213/51 K/BB, 231 BAA., 1.06 WHIP, . 2.83 ERA.
211.1 IP, 151 H, 11 HR, 185/62 K/BB, .198 BAA. 1.01 WHIP,  1.87 ERA.
236.1 IP, 213 H, 11 HR, 170/55 K/BB, .243 BAA. 1.13 WHIP,  2.63 ERA.

That AL pitcher is at least on par with any of the NL pitchers. More Ks, the only WHIP below 1, right up there in IP with the best of the NL--and all while not having the pitcher to strike out.

Of course, that AL pitcher didn't WIN his Cy Young Award... :-P

It's funny that Santana would have been my choice for the best pitcher in either league, and didn't get a Cy.

Actually Clemens was the best pitcher in either league and didn't win the Cy. What is your point?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:15 pm

Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby George_Foreman » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:41 am

hmm. i think of carp as something of a "compromise candidate" :-)
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Apollo » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:06 pm

Actually Clemens was the best pitcher in either league and didn't win the Cy. What is your point?

Ouch, the hostility. :,-(

My point was just that I've heard a bunch of people say "It's too bad the AL can't give their Cy to the NL, because nobody in the AL deserved it," and I didn't think that was true. That's all.

As to whether Clemens was the best pitcher in the league or not, that's debatable. He was definitely the best in the NL, I'll agree. But Santana had a better WHIP even though Clemens got a free out every 2 1/2 innings. The fact that Clemens couldn't put up numbers as good as Santana's his last few years in the AL suggests to me that the change in leagues made a big difference for him, and that in Santana's position he wouldn't have put up the same numbers. So I say Santana did a better job given the circumstances. But yes, I'll agree the wrong person won both awards.
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers