Carpenter wins NL Cy Young - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Carpenter wins NL Cy Young

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Carpenter wins NL Cy Young

Postby The_Met_Threat » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:05 pm

From MLB

ST. LOUIS -- When it mattered, Chris Carpenter was at his best.

Carpenter, who was unbeatable from early June until well into September, was named the National League's Cy Young Award winner on Thursday, giving the Cardinals their first Cy Young since 1970. The New Hampshire native edged out Florida's Dontrelle Willis in the closest vote since 1998.

Carpenter received 132 points in the 5-3-1 voting system used by the Baseball Writers Association of America. Out of 32 ballots, the right-hander received 19 first-place votes and 12 second-place mentions, with just one voter placing him third.

Willis, the league leader in wins, finished second and was the only other pitcher named on every ballot. The Marlins lefty received 112 points on 11 first-place votes, 18 second-place and three third-place tallies. Clemens, who paced the league in ERA, was a distant third with 40 points (two first-place, two second-place, 24 third-place).

No other pitcher received any higher than a third-place vote. Roy Oswalt of Houston was third on two ballots, and the Nationals' Chad Cordero and the Astros' Andy Pettitte received one mention each.

Carpenter finished the season with a 21-5 record, 2.83 ERA and 213 strikeouts against 51 walks over 241 2/3 innings pitched. He racked up seven complete games and four shutouts and ranked in the top 10 in the league in at least 12 different pitching categories.

Following a loss to Boston on June 8, Carpenter went on one of the most amazing runs baseball has seen in quite a long time. In each of his next 16 starts, Carpenter lasted at least seven innings and allowed no more than three earned runs, and the Cardinals won all 16 games. He totaled 17 straight starts without the Cardinals losing, and 18 in a row without being charged with a defeat himself.

His numbers tailed off a bit over his final starts, as Carpenter lost a bit of focus after the Cardinals secured their second straight National League Central championship. Willis passed Carpenter in wins and ERA, inserting himself back into the discussion after a July slump. Clemens, meanwhile, was utterly dominant in what he could control, posting a ridiculous 1.87 ERA at tricky Minute Maid Park. However, he fell 30 innings short of the other two candidates.

Probably more important to voters, a serious dearth of run support limited the future Hall of Famer to 13 wins.

Carpenter is the second pitcher in Cardinals history to win the Cy Young, joining Bob Gibson, who won the award in 1968 and 1970. It was the third award for Carpenter this fall, following recognition as NL pitcher of the year by The Sporting News and in the Players' Choice Awards.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rotterdam_82 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:11 pm

He deserved it I think. He has the best all-round numbers esspecialy when you concider how many innings he pitched.

I'm amazed Clemens came third behind Willis though. I think in this case the big 'W' has been overated slightly.

Well done Carp ;-D
Rate my team, leave me a link!
[url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349]English Villains[/url]
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:16 pm

Congrats to Carp. ;-D
Still it is kind of sad to see that the voters are still fixated on wins.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby chadlincoln » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:26 pm

Congrats. I think he deserved it too.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Yoda » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:28 pm

BS. Clemens was the better pitcher. :-t
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby rotterdam_82 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:33 pm

Yoda wrote:BS. Clemens was the better pitcher. :-t

Clemens had the better ERA. That does not automaticly make him the better pitcher.
Rate my team, leave me a link!
[url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349]English Villains[/url]
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby dyuen87 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:40 pm

all three deserved to win. i think the AL should have given it's Cy Young to the NL to use. :-D
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby bronxxbomber » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:44 pm

dyuen87 wrote:all three deserved to win. i think the AL should have given it's Cy Young to the NL to use. :-D

good idea. glad to see the voters got this one right :-b .
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WharfRat » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:51 pm

dyuen87 wrote:all three deserved to win. i think the AL should have given it's Cy Young to the NL to use. :-D

LMAO, great idea. ;-D

I'm shocked Clemens finished 3rd behind Willis. Clemens was an extremely close second on my ballot, but I would have guessed that if he were to finish third, it would have been behind Pettitte, given his stellar second half. Willis had a terrific year, but.... :-?
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:06 pm

congrats carp. ;-D

the blue jays miss you. :-)
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers