Should we drill in ANWR? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Should we drill in ANWR?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby chadlincoln » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:44 pm

acsguitar wrote:
StlSluggers wrote: I'm risking getting fired just posting this.

Ladies and Gentlemen this is what a huge pair of balls looks like...

Bravo STL

;-D :-D
8-o 8-o :,-(
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:33 pm

RugbyD wrote: Being familiar with Real Time (its a political debate/satire tv show on HBO) would have gone a long way in creating understanding.

debate?

I have yet to see any Debate on that show.
Lets call it what it is. Seriouslly ..
Its a Republican bashing show brought to you by the same people that bring you the Daily Show, a more popular republican bashing show.

:-t :-t

using a Bill Maher reference for anything should be grounds for a yellow card, IMO . ;-7
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 687)

Postby RugbyD » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:42 pm

wrveres wrote:
RugbyD wrote: Being familiar with Real Time (its a political debate/satire tv show on HBO) would have gone a long way in creating understanding.

debate?

Its a Republican bashing show brought to you by the same people that bring you the Daily Show, a more popular republican bashing show.

using a Bill Maher reference for anything should be grounds for a yellow card, IMO . ;-7

oh, come on, there's about 5-7 minutes of good points sprinkled between the platitudes and slogans. ;-)
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby wrveres » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:51 pm

RugbyD wrote:
wrveres wrote:

debate?

oh, come on, there's about 5-7 minutes of good points sprinkled between the platitudes and slogans. ;-)

sure, if you consider the credits, "5-7 minutes of good points" .. :-)

The only debate I have ever seen on his show, is when they take some unknown "Rebulican spokesman" who is brave enough to go on, and Maher and his weekly liberal panelists rip him to shreads in a 4 on 1 type of "Debate".

I may be wrong here, but isn't HBO and the Comedy Channel both owned by Viacom?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 687)

Postby acsguitar » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:22 pm

wrveres wrote:

debate?

As the Liberal Wacko that I am I agree with Wveres Bill Mahr's show is a republican bashing show... It rules!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby RugbyD » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:50 pm

wrveres wrote:
RugbyD wrote:
wrveres wrote:

debate?

sure, if you consider the credits, "5-7 minutes of good points" .. :-)

The only debate I have ever seen on his show, is when they take some unknown "Rebulican spokesman" who is brave enough to go on, and Maher and his weekly liberal panelists rip him to shreads in a 4 on 1 type of "Debate".

I may be wrong here, but isn't HBO and the Comedy Channel both owned by Viacom?

One time I saw Darrell Issa on there and he had Maher worshipping him by the end of the show. Issa was totally unfazed by everything.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Half Massed » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:31 pm

wrveres wrote:

debate?

I can't speak for Real Time as I've never watched it, but you obviously have never actually watched The Daily Show. First off, Jon Stewart consistantly states that it is fake news. Anyways, an outlet critiquing those in power is really something to get indignant about. ;-7 I watch The Daily Show, and I've never seen Stewart "bash" republicans. He pokes fun at Bush and other political officials, but I've never seen him make generalizations about your average Joe Republican. As for the debate aspect of it, two things:

1. If you're tuning into a channel called "Comedy Central" to find thought-provoking unbaised debate, then you've already made a mistake.

2. Stewart does bring some outspoken Republicans on the show and debates with them one on one. He's always respectful and doesn't attack them, from what I've seen at least.

Real Time may do these things, I don't know, but don't group the Daily Show with it.

As for the topic at hand, I think we should put more energy into finding alternate energy sources and less focus on the ANWR. Once we go in there, it will be permanently changed. How large the change is, I can't say, but it's not a two way street. Considering the time it'll take to access the oil, it may be best to see where we can get with alt. energy sources before altering a unique ecosystem first. If we wait and further perfect technology that would use less space and do less harm to the ecosystem there while developing alt. energy, then I'm all for it.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:53 am

Half Massed wrote:As for the topic at hand, I think we should put more energy into finding alternate energy sources and less focus on the ANWR. Once we go in there, it will be permanently changed. How large the change is, I can't say, but it's not a two way street. Considering the time it'll take to access the oil, it may be best to see where we can get with alt. energy sources before altering a unique ecosystem first. If we wait and further perfect technology that would use less space and do less harm to the ecosystem there while developing alt. energy, then I'm all for it.

But see thats kinda where were at. They have developed techiniques and technology that minimize the affects of drilling on the ecosystem. It does use less space and it does do less harm than the techniques used 20+ years ago. The reports coming back regarding the drills that are up there basically show that for the most part, they have a very minimal affect on the surrounding ecosystem.

Also - this isnt an either/or type of situation. Yes, we really really need to put more emphasis on developing alternate forms of energy - I havent seen one person here say that they disagree with that. The argument is why not do both rather than focus more on one or the other.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:16 pm

If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:23 pm

Coppermine wrote:Image

hahah that kid is stupid
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert