auction spending - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

auction spending

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

auction spending

Postby grammysboy » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:12 am

I'm under the impression most people here don't play in leagues that use auctions. I'm interested in finding out what kind of bidding rules some of you follow in an auction for a H2H daily league. Assume very liberal transaction policies. In a standard Roto auction with 23 players and no bench, I establish some guidelines I follow on how much to spend for certain positions (roughly $78 or 30% for pitching, double for a good MI than a C) these are rules of thumb I use in a Roto draft with weekly transactions.

Those of you who play daily H2H leagues, do you use any percentages of your money for certain positions?

The guys in my league have lived very sheltered lives and we are very comfortable with the rules we use. I'm trying to let them see there are literally thousands of variations on the original fantasy baseball concept.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thomasps3 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:18 am

My auction $$ league uses an old school 4x4 system, AL only. We have 23 players, including 9 pitchers. Bidding is quite simple. You have a max of 14 keeps, then you need to fill your holes based on how much $$ you have out of a cap of $260. For example, I have 13 keepers right now, with a total salary of $113. This leaves me $147 to pick up 10 players, with a breakdown of postions like this:

C
C
1b
3b
CI
2b
SS
MI
OF
OF
OF
OF
OF
DH
P
P
P
P
P
P
P
P
P

This is the old school, roto league that really dictates a deep knowledge of AL players. It is a lot of fun and you can win some nice money as well.
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Re: auction spending

Postby wrveres » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:07 am

grammysboy wrote:I'm under the impression most people here don't play in leagues that use auctions. I'm interested in finding out what kind of bidding rules some of you follow in an auction for a H2H daily league. Assume very liberal transaction policies. In a standard Roto auction with 23 players and no bench, I establish some guidelines I follow on how much to spend for certain positions (roughly $78 or 30% for pitching, double for a good MI than a C) these are rules of thumb I use in a Roto draft with weekly transactions.

Those of you who play daily H2H leagues, do you use any percentages of your money for certain positions?

The guys in my league have lived very sheltered lives and we are very comfortable with the rules we use. I'm trying to let them see there are literally thousands of variations on the original fantasy baseball concept.

I think you are talking about a very fringe game here, so you may not get a ton of responses. Personally, I don't know anybody that plays auction style H2H daily league. Auctions are usually more geared towards roto in general

I think most fans would love to do auctions, but until somebody comes up with a better way to do them online, snake drafts are pretty much the norm.

I personally prefer auctions, and I prefer an 80/20 split .. ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby Mookie4ever » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:25 am

Yeah, the only auctions that I have done have all been roto.

I usually go for a 70-75/30-25 split, trying to get one stud SP and one stud closer and the rest bargain pitchers. I hardly ever works though. :-B
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Return to Baseball Leftovers