Multi-part questions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Cafe Games Talk

Multi-part questions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Zoob » Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:57 am

Multi-part questions are always a bad idea in any trivia. Why? Asssuming it's just a 2 parter, someone may get the first part right while missing the second.... Then, someone comes along and gets the second half right...so nobody really wins.

It gets worse...

Who hit the very first homer and...
...what time was it in Tokyo?
...under what rules?
...who was manager?
...exactly where?
...was it snowing?
...who was President?
:-#

Also, why bother with answer multiple-answer q's when a single answer q will win? :*)
[color=blue]Coors Field [u]#1[/u][/color]
Zoob
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:04 am

I don't really see anything wrong with multi-part questions, as long as the individual answers are all a logical part of the question (unlike the time in Tokyo, for instance). A question such as "Name the players who had the five longest hitting streaks ever" seems perfectly reasonable; so does giving the point to whoever completes the question, since the last part of the answer will usually be the most difficult. Knowing who is fourth or fifth on the list should count for more than remembering that DiMaggio is tops...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dinocam » Mon Mar 10, 2003 8:10 pm

I agree that in moderate doses multiple answer questions should be okay. The main reason I asked the question about middle names is that it was a personal thing that I started noticing when collecting Donruss cards. I don't intend to ask those types of questions all of the time. Just to clarify too, is it not okay to put multiple answers in the same post? Should you hazard one guess and wait for a reply before posting again. I just don't want to step on any (more) toes when participating. I checked here now to see if there was a definitive answer to this question but didn't see it. I sense that I have offended one member already as had problems with one of my questions and with one of my posted answers (with multiple answers). So I am trying to resolve this now so that we can move on. Thanks.
dinocam
College Coach
College Coach

Trivia Time Trial Champion

Postby Arlo » Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:17 am

You certainly haven't stepped on any toes; if anything, we're to blame for not including this in the original rules. From here on out, the rules will limit responses to just one guess. Thanks for bringing this to our attention! :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dinocam » Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:26 pm

Actually I posted an answer with multiple responses a while ago and got this response (in partial).

>Well, your next guess started with Smead Jolley which is correct >but listing players in one post really isn't allowed.

Then I refer to the rules and see that this is not written and ask about it. Now we have a rule so we can live by it.

>Well done...I think.

This, and the same user has posted snide comments about 2 of the 3 questions that I have asked as well. And while looking around this board I see that he has been 'threatening' to leave this group due to the way people have phrased their questions and/or ruled on answers. This seems like a very curious way to operate on this type of a board. :-? However as previous posts have said (and I agree 100%) we are here to have fun - I will not let the actions of an individual intefere with that. I'm just not going to pay any attention to his posts unless he guesses one of my questions correctly.
dinocam
College Coach
College Coach

Postby metsfan1969 » Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:35 pm

It's a funny thing but sometimes some of us lose sight of the fact that we are here to have fun. I can't imagine some of us are here not to have fun.

Sometimes we also forget that someone else supplies us with the opportunity to come here and participate in a community that we otherwise would not have access to. I, for one, am grateful to have the chance to participate here because of the quality of the members and creators of the site.

I will, as mod, try to exhibit the qualities that make this site a worthwhile and fun experience. As always, feel free to contact me with any opportunities that may arise. In the meantime I will continue to try to monitor the Trivia board with fairness and a sense of humor.

metsfan
Well Look who has come to the cafe, It's Mr. Met!
metsfan1969

Cafe Writer

April Standings

Postby dinocam » Mon May 05, 2003 7:54 am

I believe that goody1313 and I tied for the most correct answers during the month of April and according to the rules we should both be labelled as 'trivia experts of the month', for some reason he is, and I am not.....
dinocam
College Coach
College Coach

Postby menyak » Mon May 05, 2003 8:10 am

Sorry for that - you're definitely a "trivia expert of the month" as well. ;-D The tags are awarded automatically, and it seems like there's some kind of bug - I'll look into it right away.

In the meantime - did you read the thread about introducing trivia playoffs? Do you think it's an exciting idea, or is it rather a turn-off when you're already fighting so closely for the lead in the overall table?
"Never argue with an idiot. People won't know who's who."
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dinocam » Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:41 am

Sorry for the delayed reply I've barely been able to keep up with questions what with a new 3 week old baby in the house....

:-?

I think that the Trivia Playoffs are a good idea, the only downside is if the winner from the first month of the year isn't around the message board any more. It seems as if there's a lot of turnover. I for one am in for the long haul..
dinocam
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Cafe Games Talk