Batting Average versus Hits for roto scoring - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Batting Average versus Hits for roto scoring

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Batting Average versus Hits for roto scoring

Postby fimk3777 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:38 pm

Please give me your 2 cents. I am commish of a private league for a few years now. Non keeper, AL only. 2 owners are stating they want to switch the batting average category to hits for next season. I am thrying to think of why. Other than the fact that hits would reward someone who manages their team better (a numeric category versus an average) I cannot think of why I would make this switch. It would also benefit teams that score a lot, as batters who get more at bats would have a chance for more hits. We play a 6x4 - HR, avg, sb, walks, runs, rbi, wins, era, saves, k.

What are they up to? What do you think? Thanks and leave a link.....
fimk3777
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Gags Sports » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:55 pm

As for what they could be up to? No idea, but does one of those managers have Ichiro? How about Michael Young?

What you could do is propose it to your league and have everyone vote on whether or not they want to make that change.
Gags Sports
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby Tavish » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:01 pm

It would benefit teams that score alot slightly, but more so players who bat in the top of the lineup of any team. The more active the owner in regards to daily lineup setting (assuming it is a daily league) the better off they will be with Hits as opposed to BA. If the activity level of the league is fairly even then it really won't make all that much of a difference.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby dannahann » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:22 pm

If there are no games played limits your league scoring already HEAVILY favors roster churners. I mean you only have 4 pitching cats and 3 are counting cats? Even worse 5 of your 6 hitting cats are counting cats, and they want to replace the lone hitting ratio cat with another counter??? Maybe you have some owners with a serious ADD problem and they need to inccesantly work over the waiver wire :-D
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 40)

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:45 pm

Tavish wrote:It would benefit teams that score alot slightly, but more so players who bat in the top of the lineup of any team. The more active the owner in regards to daily lineup setting (assuming it is a daily league) the better off they will be with Hits as opposed to BA. If the activity level of the league is fairly even then it really won't make all that much of a difference.

I agree. As long as there is a games played limit, it's not that big of a deal.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby fimk3777 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:04 pm

There is a 162 games played limit........
fimk3777
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Apollo » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:07 am

I think that's a kind of silly idea for your league. You already count walks, and counting hits punishes hitters that take a lot of walks (and hence have less opportunities to get a hit). I like the idea of counting walks, as it is an overlooked attribute in most 5x5 leagues, but changing BA to hits takes a lot of that benefit away.

Stay away from it, I say.
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:05 pm

Apollo wrote:I think that's a kind of silly idea for your league. You already count walks, and counting hits punishes hitters that take a lot of walks (and hence have less opportunities to get a hit). I like the idea of counting walks, as it is an overlooked attribute in most 5x5 leagues, but changing BA to hits takes a lot of that benefit away.

I wouldn't do it, either, but isn't the point in finding a happy balance?? If you have hitters that take a lot of walks, why have other cats that benefit them further?? You never want to have cats that completely favor 1 type of hitter.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby chadlincoln » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:29 pm

Apollo wrote:I think that's a kind of silly idea for your league. You already count walks, and counting hits punishes hitters that take a lot of walks (and hence have less opportunities to get a hit). I like the idea of counting walks, as it is an overlooked attribute in most 5x5 leagues, but changing BA to hits takes a lot of that benefit away.

I agree with this. Hits takes away from the walks category.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:33 pm

chadlincoln wrote:

I agree with this. Hits takes away from the walks category.

Why don't you care that walks take away from the hits category?? I'm really not a fan of either but I don't see why you need to cater your cats to walks.
Lofunzo

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers