100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rumor: Jorge Posada Trade?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rumor: Jorge Posada Trade?

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:44 pm

BY SAM BORDEN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

INDIAN WELLS, Calif. - Tino Martinez won't be back with the Yankees next season and the Bombers are putting out feelers to see if they might be able to move Jorge Posada, too.

In Martinez's case, the situation was simple: The Yanks are looking to cut their payroll, so they declined the 2006 option on Martinez, paying him a $250,000 buyout instead of bringing him back and paying his $3 million salary.

Posada's situation, on the other hand, is more complex. The Yankees have been trying to gauge interest in their catcher for nearly a year and a half, but have found few takers because of Posada's bulky contract.

Of course, that contract is the reason the Yanks are interested in moving him. Posada, 34, will make $8 million next season, and if he starts just 81 games at catcher, a clause in his deal guarantees his 2007 option at a massive $12 million salary.

That, obviously, isn't something the Yankees are interested in paying. In addition to the trade discussions, there have been internal talks about shifting Posada to first base - even part-time, with some time at DH, too - in an effort to avoid that contract trigger.

The first base idea, however, hasn't been met with much organizational support, according to sources. GM Brian Cashman said the Yankees are looking at Andy Phillips as the likely replacement for Martinez at first, since he provides a cheap, righthanded option to complement Jason Giambi.

"We'd like to see what (Phillips) can do," Cashman said of the 28-year-old. "That's our initial thought and we think he'd do very well if given the chance. We're not locked into it, but it's a direction we're looking at."

Cashman was quick to add that Giambi is no guarantee to be the every-day first baseman next year. Although Giambi has made it clear he feels more comfortable at the plate when he's playing in the field (as opposed to DHing), the Bombers have grown weary of Giambi's erratic fielding - he's shown good hands but has trouble throwing - and will explore other options, including free agents (John Olerud and Eduardo Perez are among the first basemen available).

That's also a reason why they've considered moving Posada, who has played 16 games at first base in his career (compared to 1,088 at catcher), the most recent coming in 2001.

Trading Posada is a more attractive option, but that has proved extremely difficult. On the surface, it might seem easy - after all, Posada is one of the few Yankees who doesn't have a no-trade clause - but every executive here knows about the trigger in his contract, and few, if any, are interested in paying so much for an aging catcher.

If the Yanks were able to move Posada, they could get into the bidding for Angels free agent Bengie Molina, a player that some of their evaluators give high marks.

But assuming they're unable to find a deal, the Bombers may be stuck with Posada. The Yanks would be able to pay him a $4 million buyout after next season if he doesn't start 330 games at catcher between 2004-06, but he's already at 249; making matters worse, if Posada reaches that plateau and 2007 becomes guaranteed, then Posada receives a player option for 2008.

Originally published on November 9, 2005

It would make sense for the Yankees if they could get reasonable value, and then sign Ramon Hernandez or Benjie Molina, but I'm not sure this will happen.

What teams could be interested in Jorge?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:51 pm

I don't think there are any teams that would be interested in Posada at this point in his career unless the Yankees intend to eat half the contract. Which is not outside the realm of possibility but then defeats the purpose of dumping him when they don't have an internal replacement. The idea of moving Posada is more media speculation than anything IMO.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bronxxbomber » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:05 pm

definitely going to be tough unloading that contract, but i'm happy cashman is trying fix this ship and make the yanks better ;-D .
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Iconoclastic » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:09 pm

I traded Posada straight up for Bengie Molina this year in a keeper league and haven't looked back since. Yanks would be wise to follow in my footsteps.
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dr. StrangeGlove » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:11 pm

It would be hard for NY to unload an aging catcher with a big contract. B-Mo is a good catcher and his playoff performance is probably fresh on their minds but the Yanks would be replacing an aged catcher with another aged catcher. The Yanks don't need anymore age.
Dr. StrangeGlove
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby George_Foreman » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:11 pm

unfortunately, the yanks arn't blessed with a gullible team.

trust me, if posada's contract wasn't guaranteed, they'd dump him and go for bengie or ramon hernandez in a heartbeat....
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dyuen87 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:27 pm

calm down guys posada isn't TERRIBLE. he's a pretty good defensive catcher, considering the whole pitching staff doesnt hold on runners. and he's pretty healthy for most of the year. ramon hernandez and bengie molina arent great upgrades. posada has proven he can do it in new york. lets not go crazy, address cf and the bullpen before you try to deal posada.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby kentx12 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:34 pm

:-? 12 million if he starts 81 games at catcher. That is awful for the Yanks. I love it ;-D

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:36 pm

kentx12 wrote::-? 12 million if he starts 81 games at catcher. That is awful for the Yanks. I love it ;-D

It is awful but it's not like the Yankees can't handle it. In the grand scheme of things, it really isn't a huge deal to them, though it would be great to find someone to take that off of our hands and let us get better with Molina or Hernandez.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:37 pm

dyuen87 wrote:calm down guys posada isn't TERRIBLE. he's a pretty good defensive catcher, considering the whole pitching staff doesnt hold on runners. and he's pretty healthy for most of the year. ramon hernandez and bengie molina arent great upgrades. posada has proven he can do it in new york. lets not go crazy, address cf and the bullpen before you try to deal posada.

Who says they can't address other needs by trading Posada?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers