Manager of the Year: Cox, Guillen - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Manager of the Year: Cox, Guillen

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:00 pm

davidmarver wrote:Bochy deserves a few third place votes, at the very least.

+5 over the pythagorian record for the Padres was the best in the NL. Padres were also 29-20 in 1-run games. No one hit over 18 homeruns. One player hit over .300 (.301). One player got 500 at-bats. He actually did a lot (I know, barely over .500) with what he had.
+5 best in the NL??? Maybe you didn't see the D-backs Pythagorean record.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 449)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davidmarver » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:53 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:

+5 over the pythagorian record for the Padres was the best in the NL. Padres were also 29-20 in 1-run games. No one hit over 18 homeruns. One player hit over .300 (.301). One player got 500 at-bats. He actually did a lot (I know, barely over .500) with what he had.
+5 best in the NL??? Maybe you didn't see the D-backs Pythagorean record.

Wow, I did not. Still, my argument was that Bochy deserves a few third place votes and I don't think the pythagorian record difference between first and second stops that.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby baseball6791 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:56 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:those were definitely the obvious 2 for these awards.... ;-D

Yup ;-D

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby DK » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:57 pm

No surprises or complaints from here.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby NY Yankees Fan 2004 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:33 am

;-D ;-D ;-D Atleast no problems with this one
[color=blue][size=24]2005 Fantasy Baseball Champion[/size][/color]
NY Yankees Fan 2004
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rotterdam_82 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:08 pm

Pythagorian, shmythagorian. All that matters is winning. The job Bobby did rebuilding on the run and Guillen taking a decent, but not great team all the way like he did are the reasons they won.

Not some dodgy meaningless stat.......

(not knocking you david ;-) )
Rate my team, leave me a link!
[url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349]English Villains[/url]
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:14 pm

rotterdam_82 wrote:

Pythagorian, shmythagorian. All that matters is winning. The job Bobby did rebuilding on the run and Guillen taking a decent, but not great team all the way like he did are the reasons they won.

If all that matters is winning should LaRussa won the NL award? ;-)
There is more than one way to judge a manager. Winning record vs. expected record seems as good as measure as I've seen.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby rotterdam_82 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:32 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
rotterdam_82 wrote:

If all that matters is winning should LaRussa won the NL award? ;-)
There is more than one way to judge a manager. Winning record vs. expected record seems as good as measure as I've seen.

I think LaRussa had a good shot at winning manager of the year yes, and I'm sure he was in the running. He did a great job too concidering all the injuries they had.

My main grip is, who decides how many games a team should win? I've looked at the 'theory' and it sounds like complete nonsence to me.
[url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349]English Villains[/url]
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:41 pm

rotterdam_82 wrote:My main grip is, who decides how many games a team should win? I've looked at the 'theory' and it sounds like complete nonsence to me.
Pythagorean standing aren't perfect but they are far from dodgy or nonsense. Year to year they are remarkably close to the actual standings.

Runs scored [squared] / (Runs scored [squared] + runs allowed [squared])
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby rotterdam_82 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:46 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
rotterdam_82 wrote:My main grip is, who decides how many games a team should win? I've looked at the 'theory' and it sounds like complete nonsence to me.
Pythagorean standing aren't perfect but they are far from dodgy or nonsense. Year to year they are remarkably close to the actual standings.

Runs scored [squared] / (Runs scored [squared] + runs allowed [squared])

Yeah, I know how it works. But there are far too many tangables in baseball. So for example, a team may win more close games than they should have, but how much of that is down to the manager/coaching staff getting the best out of their hitters, or bringing in the right relief pitcher at the right time? You know, the things you can't measure. Like taking your chance on rookies and getting them to perform......

Baseball isn't played on paper, thank god.....
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers