A's to San Jose? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A's to San Jose?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby davidmarver » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:56 pm

Yoda wrote:
Half Massed wrote:
BritSox wrote:I thought they tried this before, but it failed because the SFG had the territorial rights?

They do. And I for one am hoping the A's don't move. I heard they're going to stop selling upper deck seats though, which are the largest amount of seats in the stadium. It would force fans to buy more expensive tickets and effectively shrink the ballpark.

Oh I'm sure that will go over very well for paying customers. ;-7

Face it. Oakland does not deserve a baseball team. I can come up with at least 10 cities that would kill to have them.

Yeah, I'd rather see Oakland move to Portland.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby baseball6791 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:55 pm

BritSox wrote:I thought they tried this before, but it failed because the SFG had the territorial rights?

Basically.

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:17 am

Half Massed wrote:

They do. And I for one am hoping the A's don't move. I heard they're going to stop selling upper deck seats though, which are the largest amount of seats in the stadium. It would force fans to buy more expensive tickets and effectively shrink the ballpark.

they actually did that a few years back at Quallcom. They took big blue tarps with all of the other teams logos on them, and blocked off the upper decks and tried to force people into the more expensive seats. The public outcry here changed all of that quik! I think that was back when Werner had the team. An era we like to call the Rosie O'Donnel days.

I don't understand why they don't just move the team to Vegas.
It makes sense ..
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby Yoda » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:02 am

I'm not sure if Portland would be an ideal place for a baseball team. Vegas makes the most sense but MLB is still balking at the idea of putting a team there. Proly has to do with gambling.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:13 am

Portland is not an option ...

A) The minor league team there doesn't even have an owner. Its owned by the league just like the Nationals.
B) They just built a new minor league park there at the taxpayers expense.
C) In order for it to hold an MLB team they would have to expand it even more, at the tax payers expense.
D) Portland economy is suffering.
E) The city of Portland barely supports the team now ..
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby davidmarver » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:17 am

wrveres wrote:Portland is not an option ...

A) The minor league team there doesn't even have an owner. Its owned by the league just like the Nationals.
C) In order for it to hold an MLB team they would have to expand it even more, at the tax payers expense.

Well, you can't really say that the team is a success in Oakland either...there aren't many West Coast options...Salt Lake City...could they handle a baseball team???
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby wrveres » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:25 am

davidmarver wrote:

Well, you can't really say that the team is a success in Oakland either...there aren't many West Coast options...Salt Lake City...could they handle a baseball team???

Portland would seem like a nice fit geographically for a MLB team in the future, it is just that the timing is off now.

I think that the A's should go to Vegas. I really do. Vegas has grown up enough, but the question is will the city support them?
It has been argued that since Vegas is a 24 hour town, at any given time, 35% of the population is asleep, and another 35% percent are working. Its not like a normal city where for the most part, the population is generally 9-5.

just a thought
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pedantic » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:35 pm

What are you smoking? The ballpark has been there since 1926. It's a minor league team; do you really expect major league attendance, or even close to that? Portland is a city that has been subjected to the likes of the Trailblazers for major league sports. I have no trouble believing that Portland could easily support a major league baseball franchise -- all they need is an opportunity.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby wrveres » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:15 pm

Pedantic wrote:

What are you smoking? The ballpark has been there since 1926. It's a minor league team; do you really expect major league attendance, or even close to that? Portland is a city that has been subjected to the likes of the Trailblazers for major league sports. I have no trouble believing that Portland could easily support a major league baseball franchise -- all they need is an opportunity.

Here let me put my bong down and make quik correction ..
They renovated the park at the taxpayers expense.

PGE Park: A $38.5 Million Renovation
In 2001, PGE Park was given a $38.5 million renovation, making the stadium a showpiece for the city and providing an affordable, safe and fun place for families, fans and children of all ages.

:-t :-t :-t
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers