Rumor: Manny to Mets - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rumor: Manny to Mets

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:39 pm

Agent Greg Genske told ESPN's Peter Gammons today that Manny Ramirez still isn't interested in going to the Mets.
Then where can Manny go? According to the Boston Globe's Gordon Edes, the Angels might be out, as neither Ramirez nor Garret Anderson wants to be a DH. Ramirez's other supposed preferred choice, Cleveland, doesn't seem very interested. If Ramirez would really block a trade to the Mets, then there's a good chance he'll be stuck in Boston. Nov. 8 - 5:42 pm et
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby brandnew » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:43 pm

Petit's got sick stats, however he gets it done. For Mets fans, you gotta hope that it's not because of his delivery that he gets guys out, but rather his location and ability to pitch.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:04 pm

I don't get my hopes up (too highly) about pitching prospects. I think TINSTAAPP is pretty accurate and I lived through Generation K. I get much more excited about a guy like Milledge.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:07 pm

Amazinz wrote:Do the Sox even have a GM yet?
AngelFan416 wrote:I don't think so. They're like sending 4 guys down to the winter meetings or something.

So it's most likely that everything we're hearing now is media baloney. I have trouble believing the Sox are hammering out a deal with the Mets without a GM.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:16 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Amazinz wrote:Do the Sox even have a GM yet?
AngelFan416 wrote:I don't think so. They're like sending 4 guys down to the winter meetings or something.

So it's most likely that everything we're hearing now is media baloney. I have trouble believing the Sox are hammering out a deal with the Mets without a GM.

Yeah, I've had the same thoughts here... :-°
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby baseball6791 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:21 pm

dannyolbb wrote:Petit and Milledge are two of the top 20 prospects in baseball. I just can't see them being traded for an overpaid, declining slugger, no matter how good that slugger is. Especially since Reyes/Wright could use another year to really turn into the players they could be.

I agree for the most part, I wouldn't say that Manny is declining in particular, but I doubt that the Mets would give up both Petit and Milledge, especially if the Sox don't eat most of Manny's contract, which the Sox probably arn't too keen on doing. If a deal like this did go through, what do you guys think that the fantasy ramifications would be? I would have to say that Manny's value would probably decline (as a result of Shea), but it would give a good bump to guys like Wright and Reyes who would benefit greatly from having Manny hitting behind them.

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:35 pm

baseball6791 wrote:
dannyolbb wrote:Petit and Milledge are two of the top 20 prospects in baseball. I just can't see them being traded for an overpaid, declining slugger, no matter how good that slugger is. Especially since Reyes/Wright could use another year to really turn into the players they could be.

I agree for the most part, I wouldn't say that Manny is declining in particular, but I doubt that the Mets would give up both Petit and Milledge, especially if the Sox don't eat most of Manny's contract, which the Sox probably arn't too keen on doing. If a deal like this did go through, what do you guys think that the fantasy ramifications would be? I would have to say that Manny's value would probably decline (as a result of Shea), but it would give a good bump to guys like Wright and Reyes who would benefit greatly from having Manny hitting behind them.

I said almost the exact same thing regarding the first part of your statement, and I definitely agree about the relative values of the players involved as well.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby acapulco » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:44 pm

I don't see the Sox making a trade of Ramirez for Cameron and rookies, no matter how talented the rookies may be. From top to bottom the Red Sox organization believes in OBP and Cameron has never been a get on base guy. Additionally, I think that the Sox and Damon are still hoping that they can work something out. BTW the Sox have their own talented rookies in the pipeline. If they get rid of Manny--which is what HE has asked for numerous times over the past 3 yrs--they need some hr pop back. Or an ace pitcher. Their reason for wanting to trade Manny is to redistribute his $19 million per year salary more sensibly. I can't see how paying the Mets to take Manny would be sensible.
acapulco
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stevethumb » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:53 pm

i think the core of that deal will happen but a 3rd team will have to get involved to make it happen...look for arizona to move tglaus to the bosox .. the mets should not give up petit and milledge ...i see cameron glaus heilman to the redsox and manny to the mets and milledge and anibal sanchez and cash to ariz
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Wozzyck » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:43 am

stevethumb wrote:i think the core of that deal will happen but a 3rd team will have to get involved to make it happen...look for arizona to move tglaus to the bosox .. the mets should not give up petit and milledge ...i see cameron glaus heilman to the redsox and manny to the mets and milledge and anibal sanchez and cash to ariz

I don't see why Arizona needs to be involved to make this happen, as what you've described isn't really a 3-way trade, it's two 2-ways. It goes:

NY gets: Manny
BOS gets: Cameron, Milledge, Heilman, then

BOS gets: Glaus
ARI gets: Milledge, Sanchez, Cash (and I don't quite understand why ARI gets cash here).

Why would BOS make that 2nd awful trade? True, the main reason for Boston's interest in Glaus is as part of a Manny trade, but as you describe it, his inclusion isn't necessary.
Wozzyck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers