Rumor: Manny to Mets - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rumor: Manny to Mets

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:23 pm

well, i certainly don't think boston would pick up "most" of manny's contract. i mean, they're giving up a certifiable STAR. millidge has looked good and i don't doubt that he'll be productive at the major league level, but players like manny don't just come along. i wouldn't be surprised to see boston pick up as much as 1/3 of the contract, but any more than that would be silly, IMO.

and with manny in their lineup, i think even the mets would be very hard-pressed to under-perform next year. i mean, they should be able to lock up that NL WC spot pretty solid.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Half Massed » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:58 pm

I really don't see this particular trade happening, but I do see rumors surrounding the Mets and their prospects to continue.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Yoda » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:02 pm

They've been talking about this trade forever. I think if something was going to be done, it would've been done a long time ago.

I can see Manny being moved this offseason but I highly doubt it will be a straight Mets/Red Sox trade. It will be a monster trade involving numerous salary dumps. That is the only way this deal will get done.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bronxxbomber » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:25 pm

the mets will pull the trigger if they can, but i doubt they'll do it unless boston picks up a significant part of manny's contract. they had to have learned from the kazmir disaster about making rash trades of their top talent. not that manny isn't worth the prospects, but the mets can't grow talent like petit or milledge.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:29 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:8-o Wow. If that is true Boston has to be picking up alot of Manny's contract.

Yeah, I'd say. There's no way that is going to happen unless the Mets are getting a nice deal on his contract. And when they say 2/3 of those prospects, I doubt the Mets would ever include both Milledge and Petit. Heilman is going to have to be included.

Lastings (who i think will be a very good player) won't put up Manny's power numbers for a while.

So the Mets get one of the best hitters in baseball, a future hall of famer, who just matched a career high in homeruns.

No way the Red Sox would eat much, if any of Manny's contract, which at this point is a better deal than Beltran's.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:44 pm

hmm. what about just manny for beltran? :-D
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:51 pm

thedude wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:8-o Wow. If that is true Boston has to be picking up alot of Manny's contract.

Yeah, I'd say. There's no way that is going to happen unless the Mets are getting a nice deal on his contract. And when they say 2/3 of those prospects, I doubt the Mets would ever include both Milledge and Petit. Heilman is going to have to be included.

Lastings (who i think will be a very good player) won't put up Manny's power numbers for a while.

So the Mets get one of the best hitters in baseball, a future hall of famer, who just matched a career high in homeruns.

No way the Red Sox would eat much, if any of Manny's contract, which at this point is a better deal than Beltran's.

I stand by what I said. If they are going to get Milledge/Petit, I think they will eat some. If not, I don't think it will happen for that reason. But I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again. I guess we'll see.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Amazinz » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:52 pm

Do the Sox even have a GM yet?
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AngelFan416 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:25 pm

I don't think so. They're like sending 4 guys down to the winter meetings or something.

I don't think the Mets give up Petit though. I think they're already still feeling possibly Kazmir getting stolen from their clutches, and don't want to give up a potential SP stud. Obviously, key word is potential, but hey, Petit looks good.
AngelFan416
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dannyolbb » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:35 pm

Maybe it's just me, but I can't see the Omar Minaya Mets making this move. Maybe the Steve Phillips/Jim Duquette Mets, yeah, but not Omar.

Petit and Milledge are two of the top 20 prospects in baseball. I just can't see them being traded for an overpaid, declining slugger, no matter how good that slugger is. Especially since Reyes/Wright could use another year to really turn into the players they could be.
[size=18]03[/size]
dannyolbb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers