Rumor: Manny to Mets - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rumor: Manny to Mets

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rumor: Manny to Mets

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:21 pm

The Boston Herald reported today that Manny could end up in New York in a trade that would send Mike Cameron and two of the three prospects, Lastings Milledge, Aaron Heilman and Yusmeiro Petit to Boston.

Link

Manny-to-Mets trade is alive
By Michael Silverman
Tuesday, November 8, 2005 - Updated: 05:28 AM EST

INDIAN WELLS, Calif. – The Mets not only have interest in trading for Manny Ramirez, they also believe that the Red Sox outfielder has interest in playing for them.

Recent reports have suggested that Ramirez does not want to play in New York and prefers to play for Anaheim, Arizona or Cleveland. A baseball source, however, said yesterday that the Mets have received indication that reports of Ramirez not wanting to play too close to his hometown may have been a smokescreen aimed at diverting attention from the Mets’ pursuit. Ramirez does have veto rights over any deal, so his consent is key.

The Red Sox and Mets spoke at the trading deadline this past July about both a two- and three-team deal, the third team being the Devil Rays. Now, the Mets are believed to be ready to deal directly with the Sox.

The centerpiece of the deal, coming from the Mets’ side, would be center fielder Mike Cameron and two of the following three prospects: outfielder Lastings Milledge and right-handers Aaron Heilman and Yusmeiro Petit.

The Red Sox have not indicated whether they wish to trade Ramirez, but word leaked out last month that he had told owner John Henry that he wanted to be traded or else he would not report to spring training.

A trade for Cameron would certainly seem to rule out a return for Red Sox free agent center fielder Johnny Damon. Cameron will make $6 million next season, with the Mets holding a club option worth $7 million, or a $500,000 buyout, in 2007.

Ramirez is owed close to $60 million over the next three seasons.

If this particular trade with the Mets were to materialize, the Red Sox would still have to find a cleanup hitter to try to replace Ramirez’ prodigious production.

Ramirez batted .292 last season with 45 home runs and 144 RBI in 152 games. He was second in the league in RBI behind teammate David Ortiz.

Cameron batted .273 with 12 homers and 39 RBI in only 76 games last year. He missed a good part of the season after a horrific outfield collision.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:24 pm

8-o Wow. If that is true Boston has to be picking up alot of Manny's contract.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:27 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:8-o Wow. If that is true Boston has to be picking up alot of Manny's contract.

Yeah, I'd say. There's no way that is going to happen unless the Mets are getting a nice deal on his contract. And when they say 2/3 of those prospects, I doubt the Mets would ever include both Milledge and Petit. Heilman is going to have to be included.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby DK » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:35 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:8-o Wow. If that is true Boston has to be picking up alot of Manny's contract.

Yeah, I'd say. There's no way that is going to happen unless the Mets are getting a nice deal on his contract. And when they say 2/3 of those prospects, I doubt the Mets would ever include both Milledge and Petit. Heilman is going to have to be included.

The thing that makes me most frustrated about this is that Minaya seems to be pretty open about dealing Petit for Manny (IE trade deadline rumors). Dealing Heilman I'm all right with, but Petit is our top pitching prospect and a hell of a pitcher (not a huge fastball, but extremely deceptive- think an overweight Dontrelle). I've been pimping a Pedro/Petit 2006/7 for a while and I don't want to see it go.

Obviously nobody wants to deal Milledge (me included), so it looks like if it happens the Sox would have to pick up most of the contract and receive Heilman/Petit. If there was another way, though...
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Amazinz » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:37 pm

And on the same day the NY papers report that the revival of trade negotiations with the Sox is remote (according to the Mets). That trade proposal sounds wicked smaat from Boston's perspective but urealistic from mine.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:39 pm

I know about Milledge, but how good is Petit? Considering the Mets would be getting Manny back, I would think Cameron, Milledge and Heilman would be the preferable package to send, and keep the young pitcher.

Then again, I don't know much about Petit. Either way, getting Manny out of Boston is a positive for me, just so long as they don't get an incredible package back.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:41 pm

Amazinz wrote:And on the same day the NY papers report that the revival of trade negotiations with the Sox is remote (according to the Mets). That trade proposal sounds wicked smaat from Boston's perspective but urealistic from mine.

Figures. :-b
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby dyuen87 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:43 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:I know about Milledge, but how good is Petit? Considering the Mets would be getting Manny back, I would think Cameron, Milledge and Heilman would be the preferable package to send, and keep the young pitcher.

Then again, I don't know much about Petit. Either way, getting Manny out of Boston is a positive for me, just so long as they don't get an incredible package back.

correct me if im wrong, but i think petit is a pretty big guy who's all about finesse and location. his fastball is in the high 80s - low 90s range. he's supposed to be pretty solid, but we thought kazmir was untouchable... so im guessing petit isnt.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Trot Nixon » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:51 pm

I'm actually all for that Milledge is a stud in the making and I'm really not a huge Manny fan....go for it
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Coppermine » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:58 pm

Personally, I'd like to keep Petit and Milledge. Heilman can go, but the Mets will desperately need lefty, long-term relief pitching. I think Manaya really wants Manny, and he would honestly be a great fit to the Mets lineup. I'd also rather trade Floyd while his value's high, but the Sox will want a center fielder with Damon on the way out. There's so much to all this, but I think it'll happen.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers