Bartolo Colon - AL Cy Young

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:03 pm

21-8 3.48ERA 157K 1.16WHIP

riveira 2nd and santana 3rd.

Colon Article

Colon named AL Cy Young winner
Angels right-hander easily outdistances runner-up Rivera
By Mike Scarr / MLB.com

Bartolo Colon added another piece of hardware to his trophy case Tuesday when he was named the American League's Cy Young honoree.

A clear-cut winner of the award as voted by the Baseball Writers Association of America, Colon was named on all 28 ballots with 17 first-place votes and 11 second-place votes to easily outdistance Yankees reliever Mariano Rivera. Twins left-hander Johan Santana finished third.

Rivera secured eight first-place votes, with Santana getting three. Cliff Lee, Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland and Kevin Millwood rounded out the voting.

Colon, who already this year has been named baseball's top pitcher by The Sporting News and the AL's outstanding pitcher in the Players Choice Awards, won his first Cy Young Award and became the first Angels starter since Dean Chance in 1964 to be so honored.

A strain to the back of his right shoulder forced Colon to leave Game 5 of the ALDS against the Yankees in the second inning, which turned out to be his last appearance of the year. Colon has not begun throwing a ball yet, but he expects to be fully recovered by Spring Training.

The 2005 season was Colon's finest in the big leagues. His 21 wins (against eight losses) led the AL and his 3.48 ERA was eighth-lowest in the league. Colon was fourth in the AL with a .724 winning percentage and he also placed among the league leaders in strikeouts, innings pitched and both road and night earned run average.

"It would be a great honor to win the Cy Young Award, Colon said after his last regular-season start. "It would be an honor for my family and my country."

Colon had posted a 20-win season once before in his career, but never with the same team. In a 2002 campaign split between Cleveland and Montreal, the right-hander won 10 games for each team. His next highest total for wins is 18, which he accumulated with the Indians in 1999 and matched last season, his first with the Angels.

The 21 wins for Colon this season was also the first 20-win campaign by an Angels pitcher since Nolan Ryan went 22-16 in 1974. Clyde Wright, who won 22 games in 1970, shares the franchise wins record with Ryan, but Colon now holds the No. 3 slot among Angels, tying Ryan's 21 wins in 1973.

Colon proved he was the staff ace capably all season and was as equally effective in the first half of the season as he was in the second. He posted an 11-5 record with a 3.42 ERA before the All-Star break and a 10-3 mark with a 3.55 ERA mark afterward.

The 32-year-old proved his value this past season by going 11-2 after an Angels loss, and was at his best in August, when he posted a 5-0 record with a 1.72 ERA in six starts. Colon's presence in the rotation also helped the Angels weather the losses of Kelvim Escobar and Jarrod Washburn to the disabled list for varying periods.

"It was so great to be on the same staff with him," fellow Angels right-hander Paul Byrd said. "It's not just the way he pitched, but the way he goes about his business. I definitely learned a lot from him. He was the best pitcher in the league, if not in baseball, in my opinion. He absolutely deserves the Cy Young Award."

During the 2004 season, Colon suffered from a sore left ankle that contributed to a slow start. Aside from the lower back strain that plagued him over the last month, Colon was injury free in 2005 and did not miss a start.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bronxxbomber » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:07 pm

he wouldn't have been my choice, but he wasn't a bad one. too bad santana didn't get it. here's another instance where wins might be a bit overrated.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:11 pm

Wouldn't have been my choice either, but I can see the argument. He was on my fantasy team, and he didn't help it enough. :-b
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby WharfRat » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:18 pm

Boooo for Chunk Colon. Give me Santana!
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:24 pm

bronxxbomber wrote:he wouldn't have been my choice, but he wasn't a bad one. too bad santana didn't get it. here's another instance where wins might be a bit overrated.
;-D
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Coppermine » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:29 pm

WharfRat wrote:Boooo for Chunk Colon. Give me Santana!

He is a bit of a chunk.

If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:29 pm

:-t :-t
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby giants8307 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:43 pm

As I suspected, Gammons voted for colon. :-P
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:16 pm

pokerplaya wrote:Wouldn't have been my choice either, but I can see the argument. He was on my fantasy team, and he didn't help it enough. :-b

I definately do not agree on Colon winning it. Santana should have gone back to back.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby dyuen87 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:20 pm

wow what a mistake this one was. i would've liked to see mo get it, but the real choice should have been santana here. :-t colon. :-t
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers