Return to Baseball Leftovers

Total K's vs. K's per 9

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Total K's vs. K's per 9

Postby cannonarm21 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:13 pm

I am in a head to head 6x6 league.
These are the categories
R,HR,RBI,SB,AVG,OPS,W,L,S,ERA,WHIP,K

I am currently trying to talk the guy who runs the league into changing total K's to K's per 9. I have noticed that pitching has really become "less important" in our league. Teams are are stacking their offenses and chasing K's and Wins by picking up pitchers all the time. It seems they think if they can sweep offense or win 5-1, they can squeak out some pitching categories by being waiver wire wh0res, and holding on to 4 junk closers.

I feel that K's per 9 would really limit this. If you establish a strong pitching staff, you would have a good chance of winning L,ERA,WHIP and K's/9. That way if someone wants to pick up 8 pitchers a week, they may be able to get wins, but in most cases their pickups would kill every other pitching categories. I think this also puts a high premium on top of the line closers.

Any input to help sell my case appreciated. Or if you disagree, maybe tell me why. Thanks.
cannonarm21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:18 pm

K's per 9 would limit the waiver wire loading up on K's approach. I'd suggest putting in an IP limit. I see that you're playing head to head and I know Yahoo doesn't allow you to put in a maximum IP limit, only minimum per week.

Weekly roster changes suck but they do help cut down on the junk pickups you're talking about.

K's/9 would limit me in my waiver wire digging because it's not about quantity but about quality.

I'm just like you: The best pitching staff should have the best chance of winning and shouldn't have those chanced diminished because of loop holes to do so. I hope this helps in your arguement.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:40 pm

yeah, i think putting an IP limit for each week would help you slow down the add/drop in your league.

k/9 is not necessarily an indication that the pitcher is good or bad. most of the times a pitcher with a high k/9 will have better stats than one with low k/9, but take jon garland this year. it's hard to argue he didn't have a good year in 05, he's ranked 79 in the SP k/9 list. the likes of joel pineiro, greinke, jamey wright, eric milton, jeff francis and kip wells with their ERA above 5 are all in front of him on the same list. jason schmidt with 4.40ERA and 1.42WHIP is fifth on the same rank.

i think that replacing k for k/9 won't help much. there are a lot of middle relievers that can give you higher k/9 than starting pitchers. k/9 will only give owners more options when it comes to choosing who to add for the weekend because you would be increasing the value of middle relievers.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby Minor League Skilz » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:16 pm

I am pushing for this in my league this year too. It is H2H and we had limits on pitching pickups. It didn't work out great so we plan to tweak the rules at the winter meetings.

With our categories mid relief would not help so the k's/9 really does make it about quality over quantity. I will let you know what we decide.
Minor League Skilz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:47 pm

i prefer start limits to IP limits if you're going to go that route. of course, you could just change W to W-L. :-)
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:17 pm

George_Foreman wrote:i prefer start limits to IP limits if you're going to go that route. of course, you could just change W to W-L. :-)

Start limits would work well too.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Yoda » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:27 pm

We use start limits... 5-8 per week in our H2H. The best non-Yahoo system rule we came up with.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bronxxbomber » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:29 pm

Why not have a set amount of pickups for the season? In my league we had 40 for the whole season. Also k/9 sounds like a great stat and you should try and get that too. Why not see if you could get both changes.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby baseball6791 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:25 pm

I like the K/9 stat, but I would also implement an IP limit.

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:46 am

another reason your league leans towards hitters is because you have a negative picthing category.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 734)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers