Urbina charged with attempted murder - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Urbina charged with attempted murder

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Urbina charged with attempted murder

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:53 am

That'll put a damper on your FA negotiations

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/arti ... p&c_id=mlb

CARACAS, Venezuela -- Free agent pitcher Ugueth Urbina, who finished this past season with the Philadelphia Phillies, was arrested on a charge of attempted murder after he and a group of men allegedly attacked several employees at his family home using machetes and trying to set them on fire, police said Tuesday.

Urbina, who was detained late Monday, has insisted he had nothing to do with the violence that broke out at his home last month. Five workers were injured in the incident, and one of them suffered burns on the back and right arm, police said.

One of the five, Argenis Farias, has accused Urbina of being among several men who threatened the workers with machetes and poured gasoline on them in an attempt to set them afire.

Urbina's lawyer has said the pitcher was sleeping at the time and was not involved. The authorities said Urbina would be formally charged soon once he appears before a judge.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:55 am

8-o

If this is true, he deserves to be put in prison for a very long time. That is some violent stuff.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Phatferd » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:19 pm

Some of these South American countries are just out of control. With all of these kidnappings for ransom and unstable governments. I know a lot of these players are very loyal and want to help out the less fortunate in their hometowns, but I never understood why most of these guys don't move here once they make it.

They always seem to stay in their countries in the offseason. If I lived in a place that's unstable and all this crazy stuff happens, I would move my family out of there.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby stumpak » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:27 pm

This is the biggest blow I have sustained keeper-wise since Darryl Kile.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Coppermine » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:57 pm

Seems like Uggie is have a lot of problems down there in Venezuela. I wonder what he did that has guys with machetes coming after him and his family and trying to set them on fire.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Iconoclastic » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:47 pm

Those guys at baseballthinkfactory have some funny comments on this

Minaya and Bernazard are traveling to Venezuala to let UUU know they still believe in him and are interested.

Hey, I don't want to judge the trade until we find out how many people Placido Polanco has killed this off-season.

So does anybody think Antonio Alfonseca had a finger in this?

Attacking your employees with a machete I can understand. But setting them on fire? Forgive me, but that's just over the line.

how many times did I tell them not to burn the souffle?

I'm so sick of players like Ugueth Urbina and Albert Belle lighting their employees on fire and then attacking them with machetes.

Stupid language barrier...some MLB team told him they'd sign him if he could "work on his cutter" and improve his fastball so he would really "throw some gas". Apparantly that was mis-translated as "cut your workers and throw some gas on them". Honest mistake.

Figures Urbina couldn't finish the job. If that were Mariano Rivera, those guys would be dead.
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:49 pm

Iconoclastic wrote:Those guys at baseballthinkfactory have some funny comments on this

Hey, I don't want to judge the trade until we find out how many people Placido Polanco has killed this off-season.

Figures Urbina couldn't finish the job. If that were Mariano Rivera, those guys would be dead.
Wrong but hilarious. :-D
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby BritSox » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:54 pm

Coppermine wrote:Seems like Uggie is have a lot of problems down there in Venezuela. I wonder what he did that has guys with machetes coming after him and his family and trying to set them on fire.

You've misread the story. It's Uggie and his people that attacked the employees, not the other way round.

ed: ALLEGEDLY.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Coppermine » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:07 pm

Oh geez.

What's up with South Americans and machetes? They should be using handguns like right here in the gold ole' US of A!
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Minor League Skilz » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:09 pm

After all the stuff he has gone through in that country I am getting out of there. I am not basing this on any fact but I have a feeling he was set up. He will probably be found guilty too.
Minor League Skilz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers