Cuban interested in buying. Pirates aren't selling. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cuban interested in buying. Pirates aren't selling.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mercer Boy » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:48 am

Mookie4ever wrote:If Cuban wanted to buy and the current ownership wanted to sell to him, I'm not sure that there's much that MLB could do about it.

Yeah, but doesn't MLB have to approve the sale of any team to any prospective owner? I thought a few years back they wouldn't let someone buy a team for whatever reason... :-?
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby wrveres » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:54 am

Mercer Boy wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:If Cuban wanted to buy and the current ownership wanted to sell to him, I'm not sure that there's much that MLB could do about it.

Yeah, but doesn't MLB have to approve the sale of any team to any prospective owner? I thought a few years back they wouldn't let someone buy a team for whatever reason... :-?

you are correct ..

There have been instances of people with the financial resources to buy a team that have not been approved by the laegue.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 754)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mak1277 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:38 am

Cuban is a Pittsburgh native and (from what I hear) would only be interested in owning the Pirates. He also inquired a few years ago about buying the Penguins, before Lemieux bought the team.

As a Pirates fan, the news that they wouldn't sell to him really depressed me. The main shareholder is a guy from West Virginia that is, by all accounts, kind of a bizarre guy. He's really the one that doesn't want to sell.

The team is definitely making money right now (helped of course by the coming all-star game), and I think the owners are more concerned with that than they are with winning...which sucks.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:22 pm

Cuban is making noise about buying the Pirates again.
http://whereisvanslyke.blogspot.com/200 ... -hope.html

Personally I don't think MLB will ever let it happen.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:26 pm

This guys loves his teams. I'd be curious to see what he does with a sports team he owns that doesn't have a salary cap.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby mbuser » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:47 pm

"I think one of the reasons McClatchy won't sell is, that if you can deal with the abuse that goes with losing, you can make $15 million or $20 million a year," he said on Patrick's show, mentioning figures that McClatchy has disputed as the Pirates' profit. "Would you put up with the abuse for $15 million or $20 million a year? ...

"Not me. Oh, no. I'd have to win. Winning vs. losing money, I'd take winning every time."

Cuban said he will lose some money with the Mavericks this season but is getting closer to breaking even.

"It's a simple equation," he wrote in his e-mail. "Running a team to break even vs. running it to make $15 million or $20 million means a lot more money for player development and players."

i LOVE it. keep stuff like that coming. let's get michael keaton back in the mix, as well ...
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby great gretzky » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:49 pm

I like Cuban. I don't see why his outspokeness is such a drawback. He is certainly open to experimentation as well. Avery Johnson as coach is proving to be wise, as was the Dirk draft pick, and he learned his lesson apparently with stacking the team with a bunch of run and gun types.

I think MLB could really use someone with his youth, enthusiasm and acumen. Its not like he is some old money loser, he was wise enough to sell hsi internet assets before it crashed.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby HYLRedSox » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:50 pm

I hope for the Pirates' sake that Cuban can pull off buying a team. Mark Cuban can by my team any day. Just look at what he has done with the Mavericks. I know that baseball is different than basketball, obviously, but he's a very smart guy and would do what it takes to put a winning team on the field.
Which is more than the current 'Burgh ownership can say...
HYLRedSox
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers