Good computer games? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Video Games

Good computer games?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Good computer games?

Postby Half Massed » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:46 am

I was thinking of getting a new game or two, and I have no clue what's out there as I haven't bought a game in a while. Anyone have any recomendations of good, new(ish) games that are out there now, in the recent past, or are coming out soon? (The last game I bought was MVP 2005, so it's been a little while)
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby go_jays_go » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:57 am

I used to like the Age of Empires games. They are coming out with a new one and it looks pretty sweet. I'll have to check it out, but maybe that would be something you might enjoy.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby acsguitar » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:16 am

Ahh my speciality compute games!!

F.E.A.R is the best 3D shooter I have ever played. Incredible! Amazingly awesome. The game was worked on by the dude who did the RING the movie. Its creepy and gory and awesome. One of the best looking games ever. And it has the bullet time slow mo! I just beat it and i'm pissed that its over!!! I wanna play more.

However, if you don't have at least an amd 3000 or a p4 2.8 ghz and a pretty good video card then you will be miserable.

Quake 4 is decent tons of action good looking but not as good as F.E.A.R

Sid Meiers Pirates is pretty fun if you like sim games..

Far Cry is sick, Doom 3, Call of Duty 2 just came out and I'm waiting for my copy :)

The new need for speed looks cool but I'm not sure when it comes out. Soon I think.

I recommend FEAR though if your comptuer can handle it. Download the demo... If you can't get it to run as well as you want then don't buy the game.

Anyways I love PC games !!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:08 am

Simulation and strategy games are my specialty if you're into that sort of thing.

Age of Empires III was mentioned. That looks like the best real-time strategy (RTS) game to come out in a while, as the previous two games defined the genre. I prefer the Age of Empires series over the Warcraft series.

ACS mentioned Sid Meier's Pirates! I played the original Pirates game for the NES, and it was groundbreaking in itself. If you played the original, you would love this because it still keeps the feel from the old game while updating everything. My only problem with it was replay value... I played it religiously for hours at a time, but once I beat the game a couple times, I was done. It's since been uninstalled.

Speaking of Sid Meier, he's the master of turn-based strategy with the Civilization series, in my opinion, the greatest PC game series of all time (outside the emerging superiority of FPS's at least, but I'll let ACS handle that genre. Civlization IV just came out and it looks phenomenal, plus it got one of the highest rating ever on GameSpot. I'm planning on picking it up in the next few days. I was addicted to CivIII and the replay value was unbelievable. Just plan on losing sleep once you get passed the learning curve... the Civ games stretched my money further than any game ever has.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby logan » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:35 am

i bought Q4 when it came out and i'm enjoying it so far. can't wait for RTCW 2 though. id software/ravensoft make great games that run flaweless out of the box.
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Amazinz » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:40 am

Civ 4 is awesome. If you're a fan of that series this one is another must-have. ;-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:53 am

Civ 2 is awesome. Never played Civ 3 or 4 but if you want to spend an entire weekend playing a video game, Civ 2 is the one. Plus you can proly get it for like $10.

Counter Strike: Source is the best multiplayer FPS out there. It's a system hog so make sure you have a good system. Plus the learning curve is pretty steep so if you don't have patience, don't get it.

Heard good things about FEAR also but it seems to be a system hog as well.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby acsguitar » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:53 am

logan wrote:i bought Q4 when it came out and i'm enjoying it so far. can't wait for RTCW 2 though. id software/ravensoft make great games that run flaweless out of the box.

I had Q4 first and then got F.E.A.R Fear is way better but thats not to say that Q4 isn't a great game. F.E.A.R is amazing though. I'm just starting Q4 right now. I love the speed Q4 is moving at
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby RugbyD » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:18 pm

acsguitar wrote:I recommend FEAR though if your comptuer can handle it. Download the demo... If you can't get it to run as well as you want then don't buy the game.

Agreed. saw it on my buddy's comp and it looks real nasty. lots of detail. slo-mo is badass.

Oblivion coming out soon as well.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby slomo007 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:19 pm

RugbyD wrote: slo-mo is badass.

I couldn't just let this go without some sort of comment. :-D
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero