How would your 1st round look? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How would your 1st round look?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Music2004Man » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:43 am

RAmst23 wrote:I really think Crawford should be part of the top 12. Hit 15 HRs last year to go along with the 40+ steals, provides alot of speed without sacrificing too much power. On a side note, where does Dontrelle place next year? Is he going to repeat, or what are folks' thoughts?

Crawford did have a nice year next year but I think the worry is that the new manager won't let him run as much as Lou did. He will probably develop some more power this year but will it match the speed loss? (that remains to be seen)
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:35 am

i think helton is going to put up late-first-round numbers this year. i figure he'll do about .330/30/110/110/2. but there's obviously more risk than previous years, which knocks him to the bottom of the first round, IMO.

that said, i'm not anticipating needing to take him before the second round, so i'm not sure where that means i should put him in my top 10.

going by their numbers modulo risk:

pujols
arod
vlad
mcab
ortiz
teix
manny
santana
helton
crawford
abreu
d. lee
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby J35J » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:44 am

George_Foreman wrote:i think helton is going to put up late-first-round numbers this year. i figure he'll do about .330/30/110/110/2. but there's obviously more risk than previous years, which knocks him to the bottom of the first round, IMO.

that said, i'm not anticipating needing to take him before the second round, so i'm not sure where that means i should put him in my top 10.

pujols
arod
vlad
mcab
ortiz
teix
manny
santana
helton
crawford
abreu
d. lee

I like Helton to rebound some this year as well. I don't have quite that high of expectations but I can see .325 28-30 95 105. I think i would take him in the second rd as well!

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Postby Music2004Man » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:33 pm

George_Foreman wrote:i think helton is going to put up late-first-round numbers this year. i figure he'll do about .330/30/110/110/2. but there's obviously more risk than previous years, which knocks him to the bottom of the first round, IMO.

pujols
arod
vlad
mcab
ortiz
teix
manny
santana
helton
crawford
abreu
d. lee

I agree with you that Helton is going to rebound and have a good year next year but I can't see him knocking in 110 or scoring 110 in that lineup. The kids around him are young and getting better but I think those predictions are too high. I could see him knocking in 100 and scoring 90.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:41 pm

Pujols
A-rod
Vlad
Teix
Cabrera
Ortiz
Santana
Manny
Soriano
Tejada
Abreu
Lee
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Yoda » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:56 pm

HOOTIE wrote:Everyone has Abreu in top 12, or better. He's good, but is that a bit high? He ranked 19th in dollars earned in a 5X5 last year. Do you see him jumping up to 12th?

I don't necessarily think that players should be strictly ranked based on how they will finish but also based on how consistently they perform.

Without looking it up, Abreu proly finished top 25 in every season for the last 5 years. That shows consistency and in fantasy baseball, it is very rare to find someone that contributes in all 5 categories year to year.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby davidmarver » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:15 pm

Yoda wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:Everyone has Abreu in top 12, or better. He's good, but is that a bit high? He ranked 19th in dollars earned in a 5X5 last year. Do you see him jumping up to 12th?

I don't necessarily think that players should be strictly ranked based on how they will finish but also based on how consistently they perform.

Without looking it up, Abreu proly finished top 25 in every season for the last 5 years. That shows consistency and in fantasy baseball, it is very rare to find someone that contributes in all 5 categories year to year.

Exactly...in the past 5 years, there has been such little variance in Abreu's 5x5 statistics that he's consistenly a top-producer.

His 5x5 range:
HR: 20-31
Runs: 99-118
RBI: 85-110
SB: 22-40
.AVG: .286-.308

The least amount of games he's played in the past 5 years is 157.

I'd be ecstatic getting Abreu at #12.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Oliver Perez » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:36 am

Everyone, PLEASE throw out Tejada. Declining to the max. Michael Young is new hotness among SS's. I think people are still clinging onto ghosts of the past when it comes to these drafts.

Tiexiera joins 1st round talent, as well as Jason Bay. Don't draft Clemens round 1. It's just a bad idea.

Out: Tejada, Clemens, Shefield

In: Bay, Young, Tiexiera
Oliver Perez
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NikkiSixx » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:41 am

1.) Albert Pujols
2.) Alex Rodriguez
3.) Vladmir Guerrero
4.) Bobby Abreu
5.) David Ortiz
6.) Miguel Cabrera
7.) Alfonso Soriano
8.) Mark Tiexiera
9.) Manny Ramirez
10.) Johan Santana
11.) Derek Lee
12.) Miguel Tejada
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 431)

Postby davidmarver » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:01 am

1. ARod
2. Pujols
3. Teixiera
4. Ortiz
5. Ramirez
6. Cabrera
7. Guerrero
8. Abreu
9. D. Lee
10. Santana
11. Utley
12. Soriano

Crawford, Young, Bay, Sizemore, Wright, Figgins were all considered for the round also.

A few notes:

If Manny doesn't stay in Boston, both he and Ortiz would drop a few slots.

If Soriano remains in Texas, he may switch slots with Utley especially if the Phillies move back their fences.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers