How would your 1st round look? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How would your 1st round look?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:30 pm

1. pujols
2. arod
3. vlad
4. mcab
5. manny
6. tex
7. ortiz
8. soriano
9. santana
10. abreu
11. sheff
12. young
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rob0417 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:47 pm

I think everyone is way too big on MCab. is he a first round pick sure is he top five no way. ARod, Pujolis, Manny, Ortiz, Texitera and probably Soriano and Vlad should go before him.
rob0417
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:54 pm

1. Arod
2. Pujols
3. Tex
4. Ortiz
5. Vlad
6. Soriano
7. Cabrera
8. Crawford
9. Abreu
10. Manny
11. Lee
12. Bay
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 275)

Postby J35J » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:49 pm

kentx12 wrote:I am suprised to see people having Bay ranked that high. He wouldnt be in my top 12. I am not sure how it will be before my drafts next year but I would say something like this.

1. Alex Rodriguez
2. Albert Pujols
3. Vlad
4. Mark Texiera
5. Manny Ramirez
6. David Ortiz
7. Miguel Cabrera
8. A. Soriano
9. Bobby Abreu
10. M. Tejada

I realize most people will have Santana in there top 12 but I wont take a pitcher in the 1st round so he dosent crack mine.

I agree with most of this. I won't take a pitcher in the first rd and I'm not as high on Bay as most seem to be, at least not 1st rd high! I like this top 10 list as well.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Yoda » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:55 pm

J35J wrote:
kentx12 wrote:I am suprised to see people having Bay ranked that high. He wouldnt be in my top 12. I am not sure how it will be before my drafts next year but I would say something like this.

1. Alex Rodriguez
2. Albert Pujols
3. Vlad
4. Mark Texiera
5. Manny Ramirez
6. David Ortiz
7. Miguel Cabrera
8. A. Soriano
9. Bobby Abreu
10. M. Tejada

I realize most people will have Santana in there top 12 but I wont take a pitcher in the 1st round so he dosent crack mine.

I agree with most of this. I won't take a pitcher in the first rd and I'm not as high on Bay as most seem to be, at least not 1st rd high! I like this top 10 list as well.

Jason

I like the top 10... but I'd take Ortiz over Manny... Also, I may replace Abreu with Santana...
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:15 pm

Manny has the potential to go Terrell Owens - he has first round numbers but a little too much risk compared to the other guys.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 275)

Postby Music2004Man » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:26 pm

prhood wrote:I'd probably rank Ortiz and Ramirez ahead of Soriano. Drop Abreu dow below Bay and perhaps move Bay up a notch. But otherwise it looks good. It's the 2nd 12 where it becomes tricky.

I have to disagree with you here Hood. I can't see Bay being ranked above Abreu for next year. I know that Abreu is older but he's been one of the most consistent players in baseball for the last 5 years. Bay on the other hand has only put up his production for one year. I know you don't want to miss out on young studs but I would still rank Abreu ahead of Bay. He still hits in a hitters park and has better protection around him then Bay.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Music2004Man » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:31 pm

Field wrote:I think if you do a search this was done a few weeks ago right during the post-season to kill sometime. But anyways I'll take a shot at it:

1. A. Rod - Fantasy Stud, a level above all other 3rd basemen and everyone else for the matter who isn't named Albert.

2. Pujols - Fantasy Stud can't go wrong with either just my preference is Alex because of the eligibility.

3. Vlad - Injuries are only concern could drop below Ortiz depending on spring training news. However, when healthy he joins Pujols/Arod land.

4. Teixiera- Still improving? Will be here or above for years and years.

5. Manny- Next 3 are all interchanable in my eyes. Manny got his batting average up to where it should be in the second half. Lots depends on if he gets traded.

6. Mcab - Cooled off a bit, wonder what he could do if he played at almst any other home park for half his games.

7. Ortiz - Loss of Manny would hurt, but still good enough to be a force in fantasy; the last two years have more than proven that. I think Manny is a better pure hitter so I prefer him over Ortiz.

8. Soriano - Best fantasy secondbasemen with numbers that actually back up this selection, if only the average were a bit better.

9. D-Lee- Was always a solid player, this past year was amazing to watch and didn't fade as most thought he would. I am a believer especialy with a healthy Aramis batting behind him.

10. Santana- The only pitcher worthy of a pick this early. Back-to-Back terrific campaigns. A very safe bet.

11/12. Crawford/Sheffield/Abreu/AJones - All I think are worthy of a late round selection and can help your fantasy team in different ways. Most would argue with me about Jones here, but I think he has turned a corner and become the player we all thought he could be. Abreu's drop-off worries me some considering most of his power came from one-month of the season. Crawford is an improving player and a steal threat who doesnt hurt the power categories. And well Sheff is just consistent.

The second round is pretty much a mess in my opinion very difficult to seperate talent. Especially if you feel pitchers such as Carpenter, Peavy, Oswalt, Prior, Pedro, Clemens, Halladay, RJ and Willis fit in somewhere. Aramis and Bay are nice picks in round two as well as Young the rest of the hitting options I don't particualrly like in this round. Maybe Wright, Hafner, Lance, Tejada, and Ichiro. I dont think it's wise to pick guys would get their value from predominantly one cateogry- steals in this round, but you might be forced to: Figgins, Reyes. Should Utley go in this round? Im not sure. What a mess.

Field,

Welcome to the Cafe. Great analysis and it's always nice to have some new opinions but I have to disagree with one of your points here. You said that Lee didn't drop off in the second half of the year. He hit 370 in the first half with better power numbers and dipped to 280 in the second half (much more in line with his career numbers). If people end up taking him in the top 10 next year I think they are going to get hurt like those people who took Beltre in the top 10 last year.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:54 am

Everyone has Abreu in top 12, or better. He's good, but is that a bit high? He ranked 19th in dollars earned in a 5X5 last year. Do you see him jumping up to 12th?
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby RAmst23 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:14 am

I really think Crawford should be part of the top 12. Hit 15 HRs last year to go along with the 40+ steals, provides alot of speed without sacrificing too much power. On a side note, where does Dontrelle place next year? Is he going to repeat, or what are folks' thoughts?
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers