How would your 1st round look? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How would your 1st round look?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby baseball6791 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:56 pm

1. Pujols
2. A-Rod
3. Vlad
4. MCab
5. Tex
6. Ortiz
7. Manny
8. Soriano (depends on where he ends up)
9. Santana
10. Abreu
11. Sheff
12. Bay

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lbbaseball14 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:27 pm

I dont see why Teixeira isnt a clear cut number 3 after the likes of Pujols and A-Rod... I love Vlad and I understand that he still has the potential to have monster seasons but he only stole 13 bases this year and Tex seems like the much safer pick IMO.
*Thanks to Super Manny*
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby cordscords » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:00 pm

lbbaseball14 wrote:I dont see why Teixeira isnt a clear cut number 3 after the likes of Pujols and A-Rod... I love Vlad and I understand that he still has the potential to have monster seasons but he only stole 13 bases this year and Tex seems like the much safer pick IMO.

I've got Tex as my clear cut #5. I've got my top 5 guys set in stone already for next season, no change I'm tinkering with it. At #6 that's where I scratched my head.

I believe Tex had 100 more AB than Vlad did, and that gave him a chance to out perform him. I also believe that Tex's average will take a small dive around the .285-.290 mark.

So if you give Vlad extra AB to catch up in HR, and the wide margin in BA, I'd glady draft Vlad ahead of Tex.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby Field » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:05 pm

I think if you do a search this was done a few weeks ago right during the post-season to kill sometime. But anyways I'll take a shot at it:

1. A. Rod - Fantasy Stud, a level above all other 3rd basemen and everyone else for the matter who isn't named Albert.

2. Pujols - Fantasy Stud can't go wrong with either just my preference is Alex because of the eligibility.

3. Vlad - Injuries are only concern could drop below Ortiz depending on spring training news. However, when healthy he joins Pujols/Arod land.

4. Teixiera- Still improving? Will be here or above for years and years.

5. Manny- Next 3 are all interchanable in my eyes. Manny got his batting average up to where it should be in the second half. Lots depends on if he gets traded.

6. Mcab - Cooled off a bit, wonder what he could do if he played at almst any other home park for half his games.

7. Ortiz - Loss of Manny would hurt, but still good enough to be a force in fantasy; the last two years have more than proven that. I think Manny is a better pure hitter so I prefer him over Ortiz.

8. Soriano - Best fantasy secondbasemen with numbers that actually back up this selection, if only the average were a bit better.

9. D-Lee- Was always a solid player, this past year was amazing to watch and didn't fade as most thought he would. I am a believer especialy with a healthy Aramis batting behind him.

10. Santana- The only pitcher worthy of a pick this early. Back-to-Back terrific campaigns. A very safe bet.

11/12. Crawford/Sheffield/Abreu/AJones - All I think are worthy of a late round selection and can help your fantasy team in different ways. Most would argue with me about Jones here, but I think he has turned a corner and become the player we all thought he could be. Abreu's drop-off worries me some considering most of his power came from one-month of the season. Crawford is an improving player and a steal threat who doesnt hurt the power categories. And well Sheff is just consistent.

The second round is pretty much a mess in my opinion very difficult to seperate talent. Especially if you feel pitchers such as Carpenter, Peavy, Oswalt, Prior, Pedro, Clemens, Halladay, RJ and Willis fit in somewhere. Aramis and Bay are nice picks in round two as well as Young the rest of the hitting options I don't particualrly like in this round. Maybe Wright, Hafner, Lance, Tejada, and Ichiro. I dont think it's wise to pick guys would get their value from predominantly one cateogry- steals in this round, but you might be forced to: Figgins, Reyes. Should Utley go in this round? Im not sure. What a mess.
Last edited by Field on Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Lord Provost » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:08 pm

For #12 I would consider Victor Martinez. His potential and production are scarce for that position and he will produce in that powerful lineup. Theres no other catchers that can match him for power and average. Despite having a bad 1st half this season he was still in the top 3 for production.
Lord Provost
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby zergeR » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:14 pm

For #12 I would consider Victor Martinez. His potential and production are scarce for that position and he will produce in that powerful lineup. Theres no other catchers that can match him for power and average. Despite having a bad 1st half this season he was still in the top 3 for production.

VMart is the best catcher, sure, but worthy of the first round? I wouldnt take him in the top 40, let alone top 12. Drafting catchers early, especially that early, isnt a great idea.
zergeR
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby lbbaseball14 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:49 pm

Victor Martinez is great and I do like his potential to put up some very nice numbers next year but he should not be taken until the 3rd round at the earliest... and thats a reach.
*Thanks to Super Manny*
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Lord Provost » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:50 pm

I guess it depends on individual strategy. If I can get 90-100 RBI guys at positions like catcher and shortstop then I try and fill those with premium guys like Martinez, Young and Tejada in the early rounds since 1st and 3rd are usually deep. The next tier of those shortstop and catcher positions drop in average to around 15-20HR and 70 RBI players. Last season was probably the worst season Martinez will have after that horrid 1st half.
Lord Provost
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:53 pm

Lord Provost wrote:I guess it depends on individual strategy. If I can get 90-100 RBI guys at positions like catcher and shortstop then I try and fill those with premium guys like Martinez, Young and Tejada in the early rounds since 1st and 3rd are usually deep. The next tier of those shortstop and catcher positions drop in average to around 15-20HR and 70 RBI players. Last season was probably the worst season Martinez will have after that horrid 1st half.

Playing the positional scarcity game is a dangerous one, especially in the first round. It bumps him up slightly, but no way into the first round. You want to go with the best production, period. If all else is equal, then go for the weaker position, but there are much stronger choices than Victor Martinez.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby lbbaseball14 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:56 pm

I guess it depends on individual strategy. If I can get 90-100 RBI guys at positions like catcher and shortstop then I try and fill those with premium guys like Martinez, Young and Tejada in the early rounds since 1st and 3rd are usually deep. The next tier of those shortstop and catcher positions drop in average to around 15-20HR and 70 RBI players. Last season was probably the worst season Martinez will have after that horrid 1st half.

That strategy is position scarcity and I believe in this strategy as well.. but only to a certian extent. Position does affect value but if you have a choice between Manny and V-Mart you have to take Manny everytime.
*Thanks to Super Manny*
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers