busch stadium auction - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

busch stadium auction

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

busch stadium auction

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:14 am

http://www.lelands.com/auction.aspx

some really nice items up for bid. i would give my left arm for albert pujol's locker.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:35 pm

I have a $5,000 cardit card that I always keep open for use in case some major emergency ever arises. I wonder if any of this stuff constitutes an emergency?

:-? :-)
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:58 pm

i think it qualifies. its not exactly a kidney selling emergency, but some of that stuff is priceless, like the albert's locker or the urinal from the locker room. apparently larry walker went nuts with a sharpie and was signing anything not nailed down and even some stuff that was.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby JTWood » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:48 am

Well, from an investment standpoint, Albert's locker setup there is supposed to go for somewhere between $2,000 & $3,000. If I got it for $3k, I think I'd be able to pay it off in about 2 years. At 8% interest on the card, the total cost would be under $3,500 assuming I only paid off the interest each month.

Let's say I wanted to sell it in about 20 years. At 3% straight-line inflation, I'd need to be able to sell it for ~$6,300. I think that's extremely doable. I have a feeling this would be worth more than that once he retires.

Ah, but this is crazy-talk. I don't even have anywhere secure that I could keep such an item like this, and it's certainly not staying in my house so my cats could jump on it.

:-/
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:28 am

Am I the only one that's confused about why the jersey is going for more than the locker?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:54 pm

StlSluggers wrote:Am I the only one that's confused about why the jersey is going for more than the locker?

my guess is that at the end of the auction the locker will end up going for a higher price than the jersey. some people may be put off from bidding early on the locker because they figure it will end up out of their price range so why bother. i could see that locker going for a substantially higher price than the listed estimate though. that thing should be in a museum, not someone's basement.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:05 pm

my guess is that at the end of the auction the locker will end up going for a higher price than the jersey. some people may be put off from bidding early on the locker because they figure it will end up out of their price range so why bother. i could see that locker going for a substantially higher price than the listed estimate though. that thing should be in a museum, not someone's basement.

I completely agree. I am seriously considering getting in on that auction if the price doesn't get above $3,500. I don't see how it could go for less than the jersey. I mean, how many jerseys will Albert sign in his life? However many it might be, I am 100% sure that it will be more than the number of lockers he will use at home stadiums.

Anyways, what are the odds that his locker goes for $3,500 or less?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:46 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
Anyways, what are the odds that his locker goes for $3,500 or less?

i would say pretty much zero. i would definitely get in on the action if it went for less than that, and i have never got in any sort of auction before. of course with my luck, if i purchased it albert would immediately get injured and never play again. maybe i should stay away from the auction, or just get a larry walker signed garbage can.

on a different note, at some point that locker is going to have income generating ability aside from the appreciation aspect. if albert makes the HOF, you could lease the locker to some museum or exhibit.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:59 pm

Definitely. As I was walking through my dream world of Pujols-locker ownership this morning, I was imagining actually saying this to myself:

"If I actually won this locker, I would have to get all of the paraphenalia to go in it. I'd need cleates, a glove, a bat, and a jersey - all signed, of course. A 'complete set' like that would have to attract some pretty nice bids from more than one museum or professional collector. I wonder how I would go about getting those things? I bet I could just write him a letter and ask him how much I needed to donate to his charity to get those things. Of course, I couldn't afford that this year. One day, though, I could do that. But would I ever even want to sell a collection like that? Hell, where would I even keep it?"

That was a fun 5 minute conversation with myself. It was sort of like the "what if I actually won the lottery" dream that allow to creep into my head once every year or so.

:-B
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JTWood » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:23 am

Bidding on the locker is ~$4,600 now. That's getting to be more like it. I still think it should it 5 figures.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Next

Return to St. Louis Cardinals