Arizona Fall League Standouts - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Arizona Fall League Standouts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Arizona Fall League Standouts

Postby Lord Provost » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:31 am

Have any players in the AFL caught your attention? Any players who might make their clubs next year? I'm curious for anyones thoughts on some of these Angels prospects like Kendry Morales, Howie Kendrick and Brandon Wood. Other players like Stephen Drew, and Daric Barton have gotten my attention. It seems to be a hitters league so its hard to put alot of trust in the stats.
Lord Provost
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lord Provost » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:44 am

My appologies, I meant to post this in one forum below.
Lord Provost
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby wrveres » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:09 am

I don't trust AFL stats ...
They are simlilar to spring training, where as you don't know if players are soley working on certain types of things or not. IE pitchers working on change ups, or curve ball ... That type of thing.

that said ..

I wish they would televise it. I have to believe it would draw better than bowling on ESPN² ..
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby dyuen87 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:09 am

well as long as it's here ill give my input. been reading a few AFL articles and one name that jumps out at me is Brandon Wood. kid is a friggin monster. it's late so im not gona look up his numbers, but he matched the AFL home run record or something? i wonder how long the angels are going to have him down in the minors for. he may be a september callup next year, or even earlier. a shortstop with tejada-esk power? something to keep an eye on.

a few other names that i think deserve a mention, ryan shealy, zimmerman, and of course yankee farm hand eric duncan. :-D
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:38 am

I've been keeping up with Milledge and Jacobs. That's about it. I would definitely watch if they'd televise it. Milledge is playing well and Jacobs seems to be wearing down after a full minor/MLB season.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby rlee » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:59 pm

Are teams using players with more experience in the AFL league than they used to? Some players with a bit of major league experience, lots of guys with AA experience. It strikes me that it used to be for high potential guys with rookie league, A ball experience. Maybe it's just my imagination. :-?
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Amazinz » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:42 pm

Not really. Last few years there have been some pretty big names that go to the AFL for extra work: Tex, Baldelli, Upton, Huston Street, Blalock, Crawford, etc.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:46 pm

Kendry Morales

.384 batting average, not much power but he's hitting quite a few doubles (12)

OBP of .439 as well... he has a chance to make the Angels ML roster in ST
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Postby bigken117 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:25 pm

Brandon Wood is definitley the best one there. If Felix doesn't qualify as a prospoect to Baseball America anymore, he will be the #2 guy behind Delmon.
One caveat I have is as of yesterday, he was hitting .287, versus the league average of .295 and team average of .311. He also had only 6 BB in 94 AB. But hey, when you have over 100 XBH you can do that if you want. He's the name behind Delmon I have in mind for my waiver priortiy in keeper leagues next year.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:33 pm

With the AFL, you have to remember the pitchers are generally lousy. So, offensive stats should be taken with a huge grain of salt.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers