Guzman or Weaver? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Guzman or Weaver?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby prhood » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:20 am

Why in such a hurry to trade Guzman? The Dodgers have 2 fine SP prospects Billingsley and Miller who should begin making an impact in 2006.

But if you must, I'd look at Cain, Liriano, Verlander, McCarthy, James or Baker. The list is not exhaustive or in any particular order.

I'd dangle Guzman in the market, indicate you are looking for a prospect SP and see what nibbles you get. That will give you some indication of his market value. You can check the minor league stats of the players offered at Baseball America.
prhood
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Music2004Man » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:21 pm

I wouldn't trade Guzman unless you can get a highend pitching prospect for him. I'm thinking you should be able to get someone in the league of Cain, Liriano, Verlander, Baker, McCarthy (just to name a few).
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:28 pm

brandnew wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:
brandnew wrote:Updated... now for Weaver.

i would still stick with guzman.... guzman can be a superstar,,, if you are going to trade him, go after a top SP prospect....

Which top SP prospects would you reccommend? I'm drawing a blank...

the only ones i would consider for guzman is cain, verlander, liriano, billingsley.... still not saying i would do the deal but those 4 are the only ones i would consider straight up for guzman....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sultans of Squat » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:15 am

Wow, I don't understand how you ended up w/ a shortage on SP prospects (w/ 15 keepers to start from), if that's really what you wanted, but I'm currently doing my 10 keepers w/ the Dodgers for a very similar kind of league.

I agree w/ the last few posts that I would not deal Guzman for most any SP prospect, especially given your 6x6 format (just like ours). And would only give any consideration at all for the likes of Cain, Billingsley, Verlander, etc. I wouldn't even do Liriano or McCarthy -- I need to see more proof from Liriano given his history, and McCarthy doesn't seem to have the kind of stuff to put him up there although he may just be good enough anyway (and I do own him in 2 other leagues). Baker's not even worth mentioning, if you mean Scott Baker.

Guzman might not stick at SS, but he doesn't have to -- and it doesn't seem like his defense is no good from what I hear, but rather, just people's concerns about his size. Heck, Guzman probably has way better shot at sticking w/ SS than BJ Upton anywhere in the infield. :D If Jeter and ARod stuck at SS like they did, I'm not sure why a guy an inch or two taller shouldn't be able to given that he's supposedly decent w/ the defense -- probably better than Jeter was in the minors, if I'm hearing right.

I don't wanna say too much since a few others in my league are reading this forum (including prhood higher up) ;) but suffice it to say stick w/ Guzman unless you're getting King Felix in the deal. :D
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby prhood » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:45 am

Yeah Sultan I picked up on your presence - still planning to trade me Guzman for Ulloa Enmanuel? :-P
prhood
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Sultans of Squat » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:27 am

LOL. Oh, don't let pizz hear me talking down on McCarthy, ok? ;) On second thought, maybe he should hear -- are you listening, pizz?? -- so that I might have a better shot at getting McCarthy from him. ;)

Anyway, to the OP, I bet there are still other decent SP prospects for you to draft. You mentioned that you kept all the best Dodgers prospects, but can you list the SP prospects you did actually keep (and then traded away)? I'm asking because I only see Jackson on your roster, and he's probably not amongst the current top 3 Dodgers SP prospects depending on who you ask. There are at least 3 others worth equal or more attention than Jackson -- Billingsley's been mentioned already, and I assume prhood and others were refering to Greg Miller (or was it Adam Miller?).

Also, there are probably still some other SP prospects available in your draft pool. Surely, everyone did not keep every single one of their franchises' decent SP prospects. But then again, not every franchise has as much depth as the Dodgers and a few others...
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby brandnew » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:34 pm

Sultans, the league rules are you get 15 ML keepers, and 40 Minor League Keepers. Jackson qualifies as a Major Leaguer, so I had to keep him on my ML roster.

I actually made a deal with Guzman a few days ago... it was:

Guzman, Rincon, Miller, my 5th, 7th, 9th for Chipper, Saltalamacchia, 3rd (With that pick I got Verlander :-D ), and Boyer

I traded for Patterson a couple days ago, too, so I'm hoping that Verlander/Billingsley/Patterson/Baker/Penny will be a good enough staff down the road, maybe with a FA or two mixed in there...

Here are the pitching prospects I have kept/traded for.

Justin Orendoff (Dodgers)
Jesus Castillo (Dodgers)
Eric Hull (Dodgers)
Ryan Ketchner (Dodgers)
Mike Megrew (Dodgers)
Brent Leach (Dodgers)
Scott Elbert (Dodgers)
Anthony Swarzak (Twins)
Kevin Slowey (Twins)
Joshua Wall (Dodgers)
Luke Hochevar (Dodgers)

Jonathan Broxton (Dodgers)
Blake Johnson (Dodgers)
Blaine Boyer (Braves)
Franquelis Osoria (Dodgers)
Hong-Chi Kuo (Dodgers)

Do you guys see any that I'm missing? Any sleepers that I should keep that I don't already have on there?
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Minor League & College Baseball