Off with their thumbs!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Off with their thumbs!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Off with their thumbs!!!

Postby chadlincoln » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:04 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/04/mayor. ... index.html

RENO, Nevada (AP) -- The mayor of Las Vegas has suggested that people who deface freeways with graffiti should have their thumbs cut off on television.

"In the old days in France, they had beheadings of people who commit heinous crimes," Mayor Oscar Goodman said Wednesday on the TV show "Nevada Newsmakers."

Goodman said the city has a beautiful highway landscaping project and "these punks come along and deface it."

"I'm saying maybe you put them on TV and cut off a thumb," the mayor said. "That may be the right thing to do."

Goodman also suggested whippings should be brought back for children who get into trouble.

Another panelist on the show, state university system regent Howard Rosenberg, said cutting off the thumbs of taggers won't solve the problem and Goodman should "use his head for something other than a hat rack."

Ya. That'll stop 'em.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 10983
Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bleachers at Wrigley Field

Postby acsguitar » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:10 pm

I'd totally pay to watch that! ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby Coppermine » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:10 pm

Oh, Nevada... haha, like the cousin we find oddly attractive but would never admit it.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby LooseCannon » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:22 pm

What an idiot ;-) I'd like to see people's faces when he first said that...
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4769
Joined: 17 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: In leather chair surfing the World Wide Web

Re: Off with their thumbs!!!

Postby wrveres » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:58 pm

chadlincoln wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/04/mayor. ... index.html

RENO, Nevada (AP) -- The mayor of Las Vegas has suggested that people who deface freeways with graffiti should have their thumbs cut off on television.

"In the old days in France, they had beheadings of people who commit heinous crimes," Mayor Oscar Goodman said Wednesday on the TV show "Nevada Newsmakers."

Goodman said the city has a beautiful highway landscaping project and "these punks come along and deface it."

"I'm saying maybe you put them on TV and cut off a thumb," the mayor said. "That may be the right thing to do."

Goodman also suggested whippings should be brought back for children who get into trouble.

Another panelist on the show, state university system regent Howard Rosenberg, said cutting off the thumbs of taggers won't solve the problem and Goodman should "use his head for something other than a hat rack."

Ya. That'll stop 'em.


I'd bet it would stop them .. ;-D
I'd almost guarantee that they don't do it agian, and their buddies would think twice about doing it too. ;-D

Off with their thumbs I say
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31781
(Past Year: 732)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Off with their thumbs!!!

Postby Madison » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:18 pm

wrveres wrote:
chadlincoln wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/04/mayor. ... index.html

RENO, Nevada (AP) -- The mayor of Las Vegas has suggested that people who deface freeways with graffiti should have their thumbs cut off on television.

"In the old days in France, they had beheadings of people who commit heinous crimes," Mayor Oscar Goodman said Wednesday on the TV show "Nevada Newsmakers."

Goodman said the city has a beautiful highway landscaping project and "these punks come along and deface it."

"I'm saying maybe you put them on TV and cut off a thumb," the mayor said. "That may be the right thing to do."

Goodman also suggested whippings should be brought back for children who get into trouble.

Another panelist on the show, state university system regent Howard Rosenberg, said cutting off the thumbs of taggers won't solve the problem and Goodman should "use his head for something other than a hat rack."

Ya. That'll stop 'em.


I'd bet it would stop them .. ;-D
I'd almost guarantee that they don't do it agian, and their buddies would think twice about doing it too. ;-D

Off with their thumbs I say


Sounds like a great plan to me! ;-D ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby acsguitar » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:24 pm

Holy crap I agree with Wveres and Madison's criminal punishment views... i need to go home I must be getting sick
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:57 pm

acsguitar wrote:Holy crap I agree with Wveres and Madison's criminal punishment views... i need to go home I must be getting sick


me too, I am as peaceful person as you'd find O:-) But this plan sound like it'd be so effective 8-o
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13262
Joined: 7 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Manhattan, KS

Postby DieHardCubbie » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:12 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Holy crap I agree with Wveres and Madison's criminal punishment views... i need to go home I must be getting sick


me too, I am as peaceful person as you'd find O:-) But this plan sound like it'd be so effective 8-o


Not likely to be effective...first off, the perp could always use the other hand after the first offense...and after that, holding a paint can without the use of your thumbs is not that difficult (not that I have tried... :-b )

Better off cutting off their whole hand.... ;-7
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 13084
Joined: 13 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: floating around on the 3rd rock

Postby wrveres » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:14 pm

DieHardCubbie wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Holy crap I agree with Wveres and Madison's criminal punishment views... i need to go home I must be getting sick


me too, I am as peaceful person as you'd find O:-) But this plan sound like it'd be so effective 8-o


Not likely to be effective...first off, the perp could always use the other hand after the first offense...and after that, holding a paint can without the use of your thumbs is not that difficult (not that I have tried... :-b )

Better off cutting off their whole hand.... ;-7


hey ...




Holy Chit ... JRM and DHC all in one day ... two of my favorites


welcome home !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-D ;-D ;-D
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31781
(Past Year: 732)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: unioreimi and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Monday, Sep. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Baltimore at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Seattle at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
Pittsburgh at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
St. Louis at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Houston at Texas
(8:05 pm)

Sunday, Aug. 31

Cleveland at Cody
(8:07 pm)
indoors

Monday, Sep. 22

Arizona at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
LA Angels at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
San Francisco at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Colorado at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact