Media Bias - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Media Bias

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Coppermine » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:06 pm

RugbyD wrote:Not media related, but I had to downgrade your credibility of claiming to being independent-minded when you referred to Steve Forbes as a "flat-tax nut". That wasn't too objective-sounding.

That wasn't really a partisan comment as much as it was an anti-flat tax comment. From a completely capitalist standpoint, I am completely in favor of the progressive tax system. It has nothing to do with my political leanings.

I do, honestly, try to make my decisions as unbiased as I can. I voted for Bush in 2000 but Kerry in 2004 (which was a very difficult decision for me). I feel like right now, today, and the way our political climate is, i'm being showered with conservative media much more than liberal. Perhaps I'm way off, but that's a personal viewpoint.

Still trying to stay on the fence, but right now i'm being pushed very hard toward the left.

I still like to consider myself a libertarian at heart :-]
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dannyolbb » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:20 pm

Coppermine wrote:
RugbyD wrote:Not media related, but I had to downgrade your credibility of claiming to being independent-minded when you referred to Steve Forbes as a "flat-tax nut". That wasn't too objective-sounding.

That wasn't really a partisan comment as much as it was an anti-flat tax comment. From a completely capitalist standpoint, I am completely in favor of the progressive tax system. It has nothing to do with my political leanings.

I do, honestly, try to make my decisions as unbiased as I can. I voted for Bush in 2000 but Kerry in 2004 (which was a very difficult decision for me). I feel like right now, today, and the way our political climate is, i'm being showered with conservative media much more than liberal. Perhaps I'm way off, but that's a personal viewpoint.

Still trying to stay on the fence, but right now i'm being pushed very hard toward the left.

I still like to consider myself a libertarian at heart :-]

I'm in much the same boat.

I will not disagree that in the 60's through the early 80's the media was liberal. However, I do not think anyone would disagree that the media has been heading to the right as time goes by. Conservatives completely dominate radio...

Oh, shoot, I'm late for a date. I'll finish this later.
[size=18]03[/size]
dannyolbb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby 3 run homer » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:28 pm

There obvious bias in media that's why most major markets have a couple of big hitting papers, such as here in DC we have the post which has been deemed the liberal paper and we have the times which is tagged as a conservative paper.

As has been pointed out before, it's human nature to lean to one side or the other.
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Hail to the Redskins, Hail to victory, Braves on the warpath fight for ol' DC
3 run homer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Coppermine » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:41 pm

I thought the Washington Post was considered conservative?

Not sure though.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Coppermine » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:00 pm

Also, to be fair, and while I'm talking about nutjobs, can I lump the Turners and Howard Dean into the nutjob category? I'm certainly not going to contest that.

But I think more Americans now get their news from conservative media than liberal. CNN is junk and MSNBC is nauseating. But five minutes of Fox news (the number one news network), and I'm feeling nauseated myself. So, as a result, I avoid left and right wing media (since both quite pervasively exist now) and just listen to my good buddy Robert Siegel on All Things Considered.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JRM4833 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:02 pm

I don't think it's possible to name an unbiased news source. They all lean. And I've never seen any evidence that the majority of that leaning wasn't to the left. But obviously some outlets, like Fox, lean to the right. C-Span is as close to unbiased as you can get.

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby acsguitar » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:23 pm

Media IMO is always more conservative then liberal. I've always been under the opinion that the Republican party has done a great job of convincing that masses that the media is "liberal"

This isn't ment as a bash just my conspiracy theory. Please follow closely.

1. Republicans plant the seed that all media is liberal.

2. The new media goes with a story that seems to favor a liberal cause.

3. Conservatives already don't agree because they are against this liberal cause.

4. However, Liberals and fence sitters say to themselves. "Hey this might just be that liberal media again. Maybee we shouldn't listen to this. After all the media is decidedly liberal." Therefore these people take the conservative side as they see the Media as mabyee being bias towards conservatives.

5. Next comes a story that seems to favor the conservative side. Now the Conservatives love it without doubt. However, now the liberal and fencesitters say to themselves, "Hmmm...if the "Liberal" Media is making this conservative issue look good then it must be incredibly great! Why would a liberal media outlet put a conservative issue in good light unless it was the absolute truth. It must be even better then the news makes it out to be."

Anyways my point is that the Republican party/ Conservative's have done a great job of convincing the country that the media is liberal. Even if the media was extremely conservative by calling the media liberal every conservative story looks wonderful while every liberal story can just be accredited to the liberal media.

Its a brilliant plan.

Another point. I see the media as extremely conservative. If it was liberal I would expect to see more information about the body count on the Iraqi side. Now for example lets say Conservatives= Favor the War in Iraq but don't care for iraqi civilians, And Liberal= Don't care for the War especially because of the destruction to Iraqi civilaisn.

Then you could say that the Liberal side would bring forth the # of Iraqi deaths while the conservative side would hide this to make the war look better.

Our case now is that we never hear about Iraqi deaths which would favor a conservative media agenda.

Anyways I am a Media Communications major and have a Bachelors degree in it. I've always considered myself an anti-media communications major to some extent in that I feel the media is a plague on society.

Anyways not bashing the repulicans I am admittadly super super liberal.

Just thought it was an interesting theory.

Dirka Dirka
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby wrveres » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:26 pm

Man you are young ... :-o

don't worry, If you keep making money like you are making now, your political afflition will be switching parties in no time at all . :-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 642)

Postby acsguitar » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:26 pm

wrveres wrote:Man you are young ... :-o

don't worry, If you keep making money like you are making now, your political afflition will be switching parties in no time at all . :-)

hahahah Stupid Taxes and Social Security!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby RugbyD » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:36 pm

i warned y'all this would be a useless exercise in subjectivity, but nooooooooooooooooo, nobody wanted to listen :-b .
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk