Media Bias - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Media Bias

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Media Bias

Postby RugbyD » Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:55 pm

this is for everyone who wants to talk about it but has been too lazy to open a thread. here you are, go nuts. Like i said in the iraq thread, a discussion on this topic is pointless b/c the rules of measurement are super-subjective.

and to anyone providing stats from the Media Reasearch Center, they are a staunch right-wing organization. This is not to say they anything they put out is garbage, but just that their own reporting has inherent bias that needs to be considered. Their data accumulation methods should be examined very closely, just as any political research should and not too easily taken at face value.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WharfRat » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:04 pm

As a former member of the media and a PR professional who works with media regularly, I'd like to point out before people start throwing around statistics that the vast majority of reporters I've known, met, and worked with don't let personal ideology get in the way of their work. You can talk about the media's voting habits all you want; a more worthwhile study would be, How many media types just do their job, without biased reporting? Unless you believe that it's impossible for people to be impartial.

Flail away. ;-D
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Coppermine » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:08 pm

In distinct contrast to the conclusions reached by Ann Coulter, Bernard Goldberg, Sean Hannity, and Bill O’Reilly, the media is, on the whole, far more conservative than liberal, though it is possible to find evidence for both views. The fact that conservatives howl so much louder and more effectively than liberals is one significant reason that big media is always on its guard for “liberal” bias but gives conservative bias a free pass.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:08 pm

I fully believe its impossible to be impartial. Opinion comes through not just topic stances - but through word choice, inflection, tone and body language - just to name a few.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:11 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I fully believe its impossible to be impartial. Opinion comes through not just topic stances - but through word choice, inflection, tone and body language - just to name a few.

Very true. Bias is a part of us all - like it or not. Just by being individuals with different minds, and different experiences, we have our own bias.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:12 pm

Coppermine wrote:In distinct contrast to the conclusions reached by Ann Coulter, Bernard Goldberg, Sean Hannity, and Bill O’Reilly, the media is, on the whole, far more conservative than liberal, though it is possible to find evidence for both views. The fact that conservatives howl so much louder and more effectively than liberals is one significant reason that big media is always on its guard for “liberal” bias but gives conservative bias a free pass.

You must be giving extra weight to talk radio. Outside of that forum, almost every study and measure I've seen says exactly the opposite.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RugbyD » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:21 pm

Coppermine wrote:In distinct contrast to the conclusions reached by Ann Coulter, Bernard Goldberg, Sean Hannity, and Bill O’Reilly, the media is, on the whole, far more conservative than liberal, though it is possible to find evidence for both views. The fact that conservatives howl so much louder and more effectively than liberals is one significant reason that big media is always on its guard for “liberal” bias but gives conservative bias a free pass.

Not media related, but I had to downgrade your credibility of claiming to being independent-minded when you referred to Steve Forbes as a "flat-tax nut". That wasn't too objective-sounding.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby wrveres » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:21 pm

ImageImageImage

Maybe it is because ... what these people are screaming, a majority of us aren't buying.

I do find it funny that one of these guys created an major news network that portrays it self as non biased
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 734)

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:28 pm

wrveres wrote:

ImageImageImage

Maybe it is because ... what these people are screaming, a majority of us aren't buying.

I do find it funny that one of these guys created an major news network that portrays it self as non biased

OK - now both of these posts constitute partisan sniping. Stop it both of you.

just trying to stop the snowball while it is still fist-sized. Please help me......
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:31 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I fully believe its impossible to be impartial. Opinion comes through not just topic stances - but through word choice, inflection, tone and body language - just to name a few.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. It's not a knock on the media that they are not impartial, it's human nature.

To deny that they express an opinion in their coverage of political issues is pure fantasy.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Next

Return to General Talk