Who to take first? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Who to take first?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who to take first?

Postby rotterdam_82 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:20 am

With my Minor League draft on the way, who would you take first from a choice of Alex Gordon, Stephen Drew and Justin Upton? I have the third pick so the choice may be out of my hands, but I'd still like to gather as much info as possible on these guys.

I'm a little short on Corner Infield prospects, so Gordon looks the best option so far. But do Drew or Upton project to be moved at any point? Or are they too good defensively?

Who would you take?......
Rate my team, leave me a link!
[url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349]English Villains[/url]
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigken117 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:15 pm

Upton
Drew
Gordon

don't worry about their future position, concentrate on their future productivity. Upton has been said to be a special prospect in the ARod/Griffey mold. Don't miss out on him.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby San D » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:55 pm

I've read that Upton could end up in CF and that Drew is holding his own at shortstop. Upton definitely has the most upside, but you'll have the longest wait.

I think I'd go with Drew, Gordon, Upton unless you're pretty sure your keeper league is going to be around in 4 years.
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby rotterdam_82 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:48 am

Ok, so Upton is seen as the guy with the most talent but could be as far as 4 years away? That seems like an awfuly long time to wait, and I'm not sure I want to run the risk.

I'm still leaning towards Gordon as being the closest to the majors and playing the position I need. No chance Drew gets moved to 3B?
[url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349]English Villains[/url]
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Another first pick question.

Postby Surfs up » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:11 am

I have the first pick in our AL ONLY minor league draft. All the big names are gone , Gordon, Kendricks guys like that are gone. Who are a couple of players I could look at in the spring and grab one? Pitchers are very tough. Verlander. Zumaya both top prospects as is Liriano but all three could start in the majors. We can hold minors over year to year as long as they don't come up and stay in the majors more then two weeks. Then they have to be activated.So somebody two to thre years away is fine. Looking for that one special player. Remember AL ONLY!
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 200)

Re: Another first pick question.

Postby rotterdam_82 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:19 am

Surfs up wrote:I have the first pick in our AL ONLY minor league draft. All the big names are gone , Gordon, Kendricks guys like that are gone. Who are a couple of players I could look at in the spring and grab one? Pitchers are very tough. Verlander. Zumaya both top prospects as is Liriano but all three could start in the majors. We can hold minors over year to year as long as they don't come up and stay in the majors more then two weeks. Then they have to be activated.So somebody two to thre years away is fine. Looking for that one special player. Remember AL ONLY!

And the problem with starting your own thread was???
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby hybrid » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:00 pm

rotterdam_82 wrote:Ok, so Upton is seen as the guy with the most talent but could be as far as 4 years away? That seems like an awfuly long time to wait, and I'm not sure I want to run the risk.

I'm still leaning towards Gordon as being the closest to the majors and playing the position I need. No chance Drew gets moved to 3B?

Upton is not seen as 4 years away, he is one of the most polished/talented H.S. kids in recent years. Seeing as how B.J. flew through the minors, I wouldn't put it past Justin to do close to the same. I'd personally choose Justin if I had the choice, that being said he could move to the OF.

Gordon IMO would be the best pick in terms of upside and making it quickly to the majors. I worry about Drew, his make up and ability to stay healthy are big factors just like his brother. Also if Drew went to 3B he wouldn't put up the power numbers for that position anyways, but it's doubtful he would move there.

So in your case, Gordon looks to be the best option.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Return to Minor League & College Baseball