I'm thinking about throwing my next poker game. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

I'm thinking about throwing my next poker game.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What should I do?

Poll ended at Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:38 am

Play your best.
60%
Let them win one.
40%

Total votes : 10

Postby Art Vandelay » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:34 am

If it's a $5 game among friends do you really think they'll stop playing it if they continue to lose? I wouldn't even consider throwing it...but I would find another game with some bigger stakes.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Half Massed » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:27 am

I also do a $5 weekend thing with some friends and the winning person changes more or less frequently. If someone started winning every time, it would make it less fun. I wouldn't throw the game, but I'd try playing with a completely different style. That would also throw your friends off as well.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby bronxxbomber » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:14 am

it's $5 i really doubt that your pals would be mad if you kept winning. what they probably will do is not go up against you (since you're a shark B-) ). what i would do is limit the amount i play with them and not try your best once in a while :-b .
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby baseball6791 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:21 pm

Let them win one every once and a while and then win it back the other times ;-D

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby StlSluggers » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:58 pm

I'm thinking about winning my next game. I've lost my last... er, I mean... all of my previous games, so my friends are starting to think I suck at poker. I don't mind sucking, but I don't want anyone to know I do. Do you think a win might throw them off?

;-7 :-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Baseballer02 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:11 pm

Just keep conversation, drink with the group, joke around, etc. while taking all their chips and they'll never realize that you're the one winning all the time. Keeps things fun and friendly and you make your money.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby kentx12 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:16 pm

bronxxbomber wrote:it's $5 i really doubt that your pals would be mad if you kept winning.

Really it is only $5. I play in a game each Sat. night where some people loose alot of money sometimes up in the hundreads of dollars and it seems most every weekend they are back.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby bleach168 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:33 am

DO NOT throw the game. If your friends catch on to you, they WILL stop playing with you.

However, DO get wasted while playing. If for some reason you still beat your friends, laugh at them as you spend their money on more beer.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 52)

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:23 am

I wouldn't mind throwing a game if I thought that it would matter but it doesn't, IMHO. It's only $5. I would rather get better and beat you. Anyway, I agree that spending a night hanging out and playing cards and paying $5 is a small price to pay.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:55 am

Lofunzo wrote:I wouldn't mind throwing a game if I thought that it would matter but it doesn't, IMHO. It's only $5. I would rather get better and beat you. Anyway, I agree that spending a night hanging out and playing cards and paying $5 is a small price to pay.

Yeah, exactly. We have our 10 dollar game every Monday night, with the same guy hosting. It's 10 dollars, it's not going to make or break anyone. Your friends are not going to stop playing with you for 5 bucks, I promise you that. If they catch on to your scheme though, it could be a different story. The male ego is a powerful thing.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Previous

Return to General Talk