Jays offseason - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Toronto Blue Jays

Jays offseason

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jays offseason

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:41 pm

2006 is an important year for the jays and JP ricciardi. the jays bounced back from the dismal 04 season and were contenders in the AL for longer than many expected. ricciardi is running out of time to make the jays a force in the AL again. will 06 be the year the jays finally reach the playoffs again?

there seems to be an agreement that the jays needs to add a power bat to the lineup, but it will be tough to get one in the free agency market this year.

there are also some other things the jays need to decide if they want to win.

Pitching

the jays pitching staff did a decent job in 05 and it even may be the case that we have too many guys who could be starting for not enough slots in the rotation.

send mcgowan back to syracuse or keep him in the bullpen where he performed well in the end of the year? it would be tough for him to start with so many candidates in the major league club.

towers has impressed me. i always thought of him as a guy who would either be on his game or he would get rocked, but it seemed that he cut down on the number of times he got rocked. is he that good? prolly not, but he has done a nice job for the jays and deserve to be kept for 06.

if it's a trade the jays need, chacin might be the guy. yeah, he gets the job done, but for how long? his 1.39 WHIP is a bit high, but i'm sure a lot of teams will love to have his ERA below 4 as a #3 or #4 starter. bush is in a similar situation of chacin, but his value right now may be lower than chacin's because of the time he spent in the minors after his poor start. i prolly trust bush more than chacin on the mound, so if i had to choose one, it would be bush. don't get me wrong, i'm not saying to trade chacin, but i'm saying that for the right price, it would be so bad trading him.

then we have lilly. i'm not entirely sure why, but i like him. i think he could be decent when healthy. his trade value is not high right now cuz of the injury he had in 05, so i think the jays might as well give him another shot and keep him too. if he faulters they don't have to pay him big bucks in 07 and by that time the jays should have some of the pitching prospects moving up.

as for the bullpen, i would love to see frasor as the closer. i think he's got the make up for it. not gonna be great, but he's gonna be solid. brandon league definitely needs more time to figure out his stuff and i think batista will be better as a long reliever than the closer. he could even get a start or two in place of injured starters.

Hitting

that power bat might not come after all, but what to do with rios? hill, adams and o-dog? koskie? hinske?

rios has disappointed some people, including me, who were very high one him. after almost two full seasons in the big leagues i'm not sure he's the real deal anymore. can the jays wait for him? maybe not. what can rios do that gross can't? i'm sure you can get good value in return for rios and plug gross in rios place and the lineup wouldn't lose anything. rios has shown some signs of breaking out, but right after that he takes a step back. he could break out in 06, but i'm beginning to doubt he will ever be that rios everyone expected him to be.

hill, adams and o-dog. gotta love o-dog and i think you can't trade that guy, even if he can't buy a hit sometimes. so you gotta keep playing him at 2B and let him save you some games, but how to deal with hill and adams? send hill back to triple A and call him up when koskie gets injured? i like hill better than adams, but i think you can still go with adams, who isn't bad himself, and let hill play in syracuse for a little longer, eventually you will have to find a place for hill to play on that team.

get rid of hinske!

i hope koskie bounces back in 06. he's a great defensive 3B who's gotta find his hitting stroke again and i think he can do it. i'm saying he'll be able to hit against lefties, but if he could get going early in the season and stay healthy to get at least 450 AB, then mission accomplished.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby go_jays_go » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:48 pm

Well put. ;-D

I seriously think Toronto signs Burnett this offseason. He was at the Raptors game throwing pitches to the "Raptor" with Halladay and Arnsberg. He said he loves Toronto and would love to match up with his close friend and pitching coach Arnsberg.

Should be interesting this offseason and I'm really looking forward to it.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mweir145 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:45 am

go_jays_go wrote:Well put. ;-D

I seriously think Toronto signs Burnett this offseason. He was at the Raptors game throwing pitches to the "Raptor" with Halladay and Arnsberg. He said he loves Toronto and would love to match up with his close friend and pitching coach Arnsberg.

Should be interesting this offseason and I'm really looking forward to it.

Yeah, I was at that game on Wednesday night and saw him there with Halladay. I was a bit surprised to see him at a Raptors game, but I'd heard he was in town. This can only be good news... ;-D

As for our rotation next year, this is how I see it right now:

1. Roy Halladay
2. Predicted signing of a #2
3. Gustavo Chacin
4. Josh Towers
5. Dustin McGowan

I've heard rumours of Bush moving into the bullpen, and I'm pretty sure the Jays plan to keep McGowan as a starter. They will also keep around Downs as a long reliever.

I'm not really that high on Lilly for next year, and I'm not really sure what the Jays' plans for him next year will be.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby go_jays_go » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:43 am

I said it before and I'll say it again. If they move Buish to the bullpen, why not put him as closer?
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mweir145 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:55 pm

go_jays_go wrote:I said it before and I'll say it again. If they move Buish to the bullpen, why not put him as closer?

Yeah, wasn't he a closer in the minors for a few years? That wouldn't be a bad idea, at all.

The problem is...Miguel Batista is the closer for the Jays in 2006, and the sooner we can get then into our heads, the sooner we can accept it. :-/
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby go_jays_go » Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:25 pm

mweir145 wrote:
go_jays_go wrote:I said it before and I'll say it again. If they move Buish to the bullpen, why not put him as closer?

Yeah, wasn't he a closer in the minors for a few years? That wouldn't be a bad idea, at all.

The problem is...Miguel Batista is the closer for the Jays in 2006, and the sooner we can get then into our heads, the sooner we can accept it. :-/

Yeah, he was a closer in college. I think we could also try and shop Batista because some teams are interested in him.

I guess we'll have to see how things pan out.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:42 am

Good post KC.

I think that next year is the best chance for the Jays, before the Yanks and Sox really reload and spend us out of competition.

As for pitchers I'm not the Lilly fan that you are, he is one part that I wouldn't mind seeing leave town. JP is definitely wants to sign a free agent #2 pitcher and he sure seems to have his heart set on Burnett. I don't really like Burnett either, he hasn't done it consistently ever in his career.

Matt Morris may be available. If it is the choice b/w Burnett and a bat or getting just Morris - I would put all of my effort into getting Morris.

Roy
Chacin
Bush
Towers
McGowan

As for closers, I'm not a fan of Batista but I really don't want to go through another season of CBC like 2004. Batista is better than anything else in our pen - so we either get somebody else or we stick with Batista. Julian Tavarez is available and if he can control his temper he may be closer material.

We had a great pen this year. It will only get better with the addition or Arnold and maybe another arm from our pretty good selection of minor league arms.

I would like us to get a big bat. The ultimate would be Konerko but that's just wishful thinking. I would like to see Hinske and Koskie leave. Even if we can't get anything for Hinske, he should be shown the door.

The one idea that I am firmly against is using Orlando as trade bait. We (and probably the entire AL) haven't seen a glove like his since Alomar. Good D up the middle with him and Wells makes our pitchers that much better. We will not be able to afford bigger bats than the Yanks and RSox the way that we will beat them is pitching and team defence. O-dog is our top glove and the glue that holds our team together, trading him just doesn't make any sense.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:22 am

if the jays are able to sign burnett it would be great, i think he's an update from lilly, but i don't think the jays should spent a lot on him. if they are able to sign him for a reasonable price, then go for it, if not, i think lilly will be fine and could go for much less than the burnett. other guys like washburn and millwood are not the answer for the jays.

as for bush, i think he should stay in the rotation and the jays should send mcgowan down to the minors. it's a long season and someone will likely get injured so mcgowan will get his starts. let's not forget scott downs who did a very good job for the jays in 05. ;-D not sure we can trust him to give him a spot in the rotation, but the jays have to find a place for him, possibly as the pete walker of 06.

it will also be interesting to see what the jays do with zaun and quiroz. zaun played very well in the beginning of the season, but his production went down as the season went on. perhaps he catched too many games? problem is that the jays can't send quiroz back to syracuse without putting him on waivers and i'm not sure that is a good idea. quiroz, however, has not shown he can handle being in the big leagues yet. if he's gonna turn out to be the jays future catcher, he better start showing that this year, the jays can't be calling huckaby every time someone goes down.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Return to Toronto Blue Jays