Today's installment of Pokerplaya's Poker Woes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Today's installment of Pokerplaya's Poker Woes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Today's installment of Pokerplaya's Poker Woes

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:36 pm

So I'm playing in the Million Dollar Free Roll 2 - and I make it down to the final 30. The top 10 make it to the next tournament, winner wins 1,000,000. Top 500 of that tourney win at least 50 bucks. Not bad. I like my chances, I'm 15 of 28. Navigated a field of over 1700.

I'm first to act - AQ off suit. I raise big, about a quarter of my 75,000 in chips. One caller, in middle position calls this massive raise, with his 90,000 in chips.

Flop comes A - J - 4. Two spades. I bet all in, not going to slow play this at all. If he has AK - so be it. He calls.

K - 5 suited. Spades. Turn is a rag, so is the river - except it's a spade rag. And I go home. All because the guy in middle position risked about 20% of his chips with a K5 suited.

Whoa. 8-o

I've been beat worse before, much worse. This one particularly stung because I could taste that secound tourney, and potentially going on to be on TV if I made the final table of that. Yes, a long way off, but considering I had not lost a showdown all night, I felt real good about my play.

First time ever I had made it through 99% of the field without taking a beat. Until I lost. :-b
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LooseCannon » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:18 pm

Damn that sucks...
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby curious_george_43545 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:26 pm

that is horrible luck :-/ , played it well though
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby kentx12 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:53 pm

That was truely a bad beat. Hope you can make it that far again.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Tavish » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:54 pm

Not that his call was unthinkable, but it was somewhat loose. Everyone plays a little loose now and then. His odds really didn't change much after the flop so its not that surprising he called the all-in. No matter what 3:2 bad beats hurt.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Half Massed » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:58 pm

Tough break man.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:06 pm

yikes :-t
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:29 pm

Tavish wrote:Not that his call was unthinkable, but it was somewhat loose. Everyone plays a little loose now and then. His odds really didn't change much after the flop so its not that surprising he called the all-in. No matter what 3:2 bad beats hurt.

You're right, it wasn't unthinkable persay. But it was close. Some things to consider...at the time, my table image was really tight. I had buckled down considerably, because my 75,000 chips may have gotten me to the top 10 had I not played a hand. In fact, I considered folding the AQ because I was in first position. The fact that I was in first position gives another reason for bells to go off in your head. You're not going to play the A10's and KQ's as often in first position at a full ring able. So, while not unthinkable, I think it was close. You make that call all the time, you will definitely lose long term.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby bigken117 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:30 pm

You played it well, you got your money in with the best hand, that's all you can hope to do. But that deep into a tourney, calling a huge raise with only a K5 for a starting hand, that's tough.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby DK » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:30 pm

Ooph. That stinks. You played the odds and lost. You did the smart thing with your hand, but you got burned. It happens sometimes.

Rock on, brother. B-)
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to General Talk