Computer Problem... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Computer Problem...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Computer Problem...

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:20 pm

My girlfriend just bought a laptop a few months back. This morning she gets up and tries to use it....the mouse is acting very strangely. It is jerky as it goes along the screen, and it is very difficult to click on anything. Upon getting into a word processor, with much difficulty, the keyboard is now acting strangely...you hit a button and it wont register. Mash the keyboard a bit, and you will only have a few letters register. I know details are sketchy, and no one will likely know what this could be without seeing the computer, but does this jump out to anyone as anything?

Oh, and she ran virus scan last night, before any problems and it was clean. Just wondering if someone might have any idea what this could be. Thanks.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:23 pm

Is it a wirless keyboard/mouse if so maybee batteries..

Reinstall the keyboard drivers.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:40 pm

Sounds like a common problem with wireless mouse/keyboard. As acs said, either change batteries and/or reinstall drivers from the manufacturer's website.

I had a similar problem with my wireless keyboard/mouse from Logitech.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:32 pm

No...it's just the regular keyboard and I guess I was misleading when I said mouse...it's just the regular two buttons and pad that came with the laptop. :-?
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chadlincoln » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:50 pm

acsguitar wrote:Is it a wirless keyboard/mouse if so maybee batteries..

Reinstall the keyboard drivers.

The cafe is full of info. ;-D
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:56 pm

i just reread it and there is no mouse so either a) hit the damn thing harder or b) reboot it and see if it still happens. if that doesnt work then i cant help you.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:58 pm

how is the performance of the computer in other aspects? does the word process load in the same amount of time? do any programs seem slow or bogged down?
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Amazinz » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:03 pm

Are you running the laptop on battery or plugged in? If it's on battery first thing I would check is for battery low or a bad battery. When the battery power goes on a laptop keyboard and mouse are usually the first things to become unresponsive. The chance of corrupted keyboard or mouse drivers is very slim.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:10 pm

After checking the battery make sure there are no programs running in the background that are hogging the system resources.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:38 pm

Thanks everyone. ;-D

I think I did all these things this morning, but I'm definitely going to re-check to see if it could be any of the above. As far as I remember, (it was 6AM and I was rather groggy) everything loaded normally, but the machine was definitely not right. Keep the possibilities coming... ;-D
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

Next

Return to General Talk