ETHICS - HOLDING KEEPERS TO "TRADE" BACK - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

ETHICS - HOLDING KEEPERS TO "TRADE" BACK

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

colusion

Postby ayebatter » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:47 pm

You need to bring the idea of raising the leagues keeper list to 8 to the rest of the league. They'll either be for it or against it, but eveyone will be aware of it. B-)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1360)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:22 am

wrveres wrote:Thats "C"ollusion with a capital C

Agreed. ;-D

Very bad practice. :-t
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:24 am

wrveres wrote:Thats "C"ollusion with a capital C

big time collusion imo
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Music2004Man » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:52 am

I'm with everyone else. I think it's collusion and I would look out for the guy in the future.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Iconoclastic » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:02 am

Are you sure he's aware that it's collusion? Because it's such a rare occurence and unless you have it explicitly stated in league rules (which most fantasy owners don't read or forget the next day anyways) it's very possible he thinks it's just a brilliant move.

I would tell him that it's unethical and then expose him if necessary.
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby coleminer » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:18 am

Thanks for the input. I sent him an email stating if it isn't against the rules specifically, it should be (it isn't, I checked). But in any case in general it is - "best interest of the league", "protect the integrity of the league for years to come", "trades must not be unfair or unjust to either team, or to the league as a whole". I also stated I hoped it was a mistake.

I plan on proposing a specific rule similar to another league I'm in "Cheating will not be tolerated. Borrowing of player(s) through a prearranged trade with the intent to trade the player(s) back to the same team is prohibited and considered cheating. "

Does anyone else have better verbage. Thanks again!
coleminer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby carter » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:22 am

wait a second... your making the commish out to be a cheater, but i think he was just making you an offer, however slick it may be... but it looks like an offer if your getting something in return, no?..

who is his 8th player?

if someone in the league feels that his #1 draft pick will yield a better player then that 8th keeper, then a trade-off would benefit them in their mind.. that sounds like a trade to me

it sounds tricky, but its not exactly collusion... the league loses out on a chance at his 8th player, but that will just switch to whoever your gonna drop, no? .. they are still gonna have a dropped player to choose from in the draft.... (if i'm wrong, please explain it to me) .. even if i am wrong, be careful with the commish... i might NOT suggest that "borrowing rule" to him... it may upset him because he obviously thinks its ok, and maybe it is

if i were you, i would make a counter-offer or suggest going to 8 keepers,,, it seems he really wants this 8th keeper, see if he will up the anti on that offer.. if he refuses, just reject it
carter
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 14)

Postby rotterdam_82 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:43 am

I don't see how it's collusion? Can someone please explain what is wrong with trading a draft pick for a pre-determined player? It's complicated, but as long as you get to pick the player and you're willing to take that chance I don't see what is wrong.

As long as you explain to the league what is going on, and they're happy with it, then I can't see the problem. Perhaps it's just me?
Rate my team, leave me a link!
[url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349]English Villains[/url]
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby garf112 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:23 pm

I don't like that idea at all... The way we do it is that you can trade keepers for draft picks. But you can't get that guy back for a year after you have traded him. For instance, I trade A.J. Burnett for a draft pick just before this year's draft. I cannot trade for him back until one calendar year after the original trade. Also, if I trade a guy in season, I cannot draft him in the first round of the next draft (theoretically giving everyone a chance to pick him), nor can I trade for him back before the draft. We have specific language in our rule book devoted to this. We call it the "rent-a-player" clause.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby Nerfherders » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:51 pm

Hmm if his 8th best player is better than what you can get at your 1st round pick, accept the trade and dont trade back. You have every right not to trade him back, and he will then learn his lesson really fast. :)
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 5)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers