Crisp Underrated?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RynMan » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:34 am

wrveres wrote::-b

Post padder. ;-7
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bronxxbomber » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:25 am

i like crisp a bunch too, but i think this is the best he can do.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby rotterdam_82 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:30 am

bronxxbomber wrote:i like crisp a bunch too, but i think this is the best he can do.

I don't know. I've read a lot of reports that have him down as 'improving'. I reckon there might be a few 20/20 years in him.....
Rate my team, leave me a link!
[url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349]English Villains[/url]
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Music2004Man » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:59 pm

rotterdam_82 wrote:
bronxxbomber wrote:i like crisp a bunch too, but i think this is the best he can do.

I don't know. I've read a lot of reports that have him down as 'improving'. I reckon there might be a few 20/20 years in him.....

He might also benefit from his lineup getting better. Cleveland's lineup is young and definitely improving. Sizemore, Crisp, Peralta, Hafner and Vmart is a great top 5.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby dkakridas » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:12 am

Actually, Crisp is underachieving in one area....steals. He is one of the fastest if not the fastest runner on the team. He needs to work on reading pitchers and getting better jumps. I could see him switching places in the lineup with Sizemore next year and if he can be a little more patient, he could up his SB's considerably.

I am pretty happy with his power and average. No reason, Coco does not work his way up to 30-40 SB's on a consistent basis hopefully starting next year....
dkakridas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stumpak » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:11 am

I would say that he is overrated. How are his stats any different from the typical Randy Winn year? No one gets too excited about him.

Crisp is a nice 3rd OF only a deep league.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dkakridas » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:16 am

He is not overrated because he is still young and has improved his stats each year. His plate discipline is going int he right direction and he has added power without sacrificing his average. Also, he plays good defense and is well liked by his teammates and manager.

Because he has exceeded his stat projections for the past two years, you can't call the guy overrated. Remember, he missed a good deal of time this past year and still exceeded his overall stats from last year. His final numbers would have been all the more impressive had he played a full year. Did I mention he hits at the top of the lineups in one of the best young lineups in baseball?

You have not seen Coco's best seasons yet....
dkakridas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dkakridas » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:18 am

stumpak wrote:I would say that he is overrated. How are his stats any different from the typical Randy Winn year? No one gets too excited about him.

oh, and BTW, people in San Francisco are VERY excited about Randy Winn right now. Being in Seattle really limited his numbers and he showed inthe second half last year what he can really do in a hitters park. He was a top 3 hitter the last couple months of the year last year- that's all of baseball! If you are lucky enough to get a Winn (present day) or a Coco in your OF, consider yourself fortunate....

Crisp is a nice 3rd OF only a deep league.
dkakridas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stumpak » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:39 pm

Amazing, everyone thought Winn was waiver wire fodder in August and now he beingheld up as underrated. Look at Winn's history--in terms of SB, HR and BA numbers he is remarkably consistent, including his composite numbers for last year. While I am sure there will all sorts of people who project his two months in SF over a full season, the fact is that there is nothing to indicate that he will do any better than .300 and 15-20 in SBs and 10-15 in HRs. Nice numbers, but if I am in anything less than a 12 team league I am not getting so excited about having that sort of production from my 3rd OF. He has been a .750 OPS guy for so long that his SF numbers are a clear abberration.

As for Crisp, watch this board throgh March and watch the fantasy magazines as well. I guarantee you that he will be so prominent on everyone's "breakout" list that by March there will be at least one person in every league that takes it as gospel truth that he will increase power, turn in monster SB numbers, etc. Sure this could happen, but there will be a couple of people in every league that will draft him like he has a 95% chance of turning in an Abreu season. Ergo, he will be overvalued.

This sort of thing happens with a few guys every year, and I think Crisp will be one of those guys this season. Did anyone play in a league last year where Bonderman did not go ahead of where his 2005 numbers put him?
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:56 pm

stumpak wrote:As for Crisp, watch this board throgh March and watch the fantasy magazines as well. I guarantee you that he will be so prominent on everyone's "breakout" list that by March there will be at least one person in every league that takes it as gospel truth that he will increase power, turn in monster SB numbers, etc. Sure this could happen, but there will be a couple of people in every league that will draft him like he has a 95% chance of turning in an Abreu season. Ergo, he will be overvalued.

This sort of thing happens with a few guys every year, and I think Crisp will be one of those guys this season. Did anyone play in a league last year where Bonderman did not go ahead of where his 2005 numbers put him?
We'll see but he put up pretty much the same numbers last year and was ignored.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers