Willy Mo to go? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Cincinnati Reds

Willy Mo to go?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Willy Mo to go?

Postby RynMan » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:01 pm

Heya Reds fans (particularly you slomo!)

As you may see by my av and sig, I am keen to have Willy Mo on the A's next year. We need a right handed power bat and Willy Mo fits the mold of young, cheap, and powerful for an outfield spot.

My questions to you are:

a) Do you think the Reds will deal him?

b) What do they want for him?

c) If you were to do a deal with Oakland involving Willy Mo, who would you be asking for?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:22 pm

When I first saw your new sig and av I went directly to Rotoworld to make sure I hadn't missed a blockbuster trade or something!

As for the questions, keep in mind that I am not from Cincy and therefore am out of the loop when it comes to what the "general fans" think.

However, I can give you my perspective.

The Reds obviously can part with some power. Griffey is likely first target to shop, but if they can't get any takers on him that leaves a few options.

Austin Kearns' value is just too low right now, it really looked like he was a lock to be a future all star only a year or two ago...but now many teams are likely not even interested. He is out of the question given the low value in return.

Casey is somewhat of a fan favorite, but if it were up to me, he would be my first choice to send packing. He's an above average batter but below average fielder and comes at quite a price. 1b is waiting for either Griffey or Dunn.

If they decide it would hurt the fanbase too much to trade Casey, that would leave Pena (I don't see Dunn being traded unless it's just a slam dunk for the Reds).

Obviously we need pitching - badly. Blanton for Pena? I would prefer Harden but that's asking too much! I think Blanton is about right. Haren would work too. Basically just any of your good young future aces.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby RynMan » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:45 pm

Thanks for the response Mo and sorry about the confusion with the sig hehehe. It was quite the exercise getting him out of a striped Reds jersey and into a plain white A's one.

I don't see Billy shipping either Blanton or Haren. Haren actually got a 3 year deal this season so he isn't going anywhere. Blanton is an unusual case but I don't think Billy is going to part with him because he is going to be cheap for a while yet.

How about Zito? To me, he sounds like the logical choice to move. His contract is over at the end of 2006, and we probably won't be able to re-sign him. Is it likely that the Reds would trade Pena for Zito, with plans on extending his contract?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby slomo007 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:51 pm

RynMan wrote:Thanks for the response Mo and sorry about the confusion with the sig hehehe. It was quite the exercise getting him out of a striped Reds jersey and into a plain white A's one.

I don't see Billy shipping either Blanton or Haren. Haren actually got a 3 year deal this season so he isn't going anywhere. Blanton is an unusual case but I don't think Billy is going to part with him because he is going to be cheap for a while yet.

How about Zito? To me, he sounds like the logical choice to move. His contract is over at the end of 2006, and we probably won't be able to re-sign him. Is it likely that the Reds would trade Pena for Zito, with plans on extending his contract?

With the Reds, anything is possible. I mean they signed Milton to a multiyear deal. I hope they don't take Zito though - I don't trust him at all. Maybe if you took on Milton's contract in addition. ;-D

What's going on with Meyer? How about a combination of him and the Duke?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby RynMan » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:05 am

slomo007 wrote:With the Reds, anything is possible. I mean they signed Milton to a multiyear deal. I hope they don't take Zito though - I don't trust him at all. Maybe if you took on Milton's contract in addition. ;-D

What's going on with Meyer? How about a combination of him and the Duke?

LOL, I totally forgot about your love affair with Zito! ;-7
I'd rather eat glass than take on Milton's contract. :-D

Meyer apparently was injured this season, and didn't have a very good year when he was on the field. I think his ERA was around 5, but the beat writers put it down to the injury. But yeah, that might be a possibility to trade those guys. I have heard rumblings about the A's possibly letting Zito go, and leaving Kennedy and Meyer to battle it out for the 5th spot in the rotation....but who knows. Haven't even heard of Duke getting moved, but like you said....anything is possible. He would be a very good starter for some team if given the chance... ;-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby slomo007 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:08 am

I don't really want Duke as a starter....I want him as a middle reliever/setup man. I know that sounds crazy, but Cincy really needs that. Ramon Ortiz would be suited well for that role also, but he is stubborn and cries like a school girl when he comes out of the bullpen.

I would go straight up for Blanton or Haren.

Or Meyer+Duke both.

Which would you rather?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby RynMan » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:34 am

It's done then. Meyer+Duke for Willy Mo?

I'm happy with that....where do I sign?

Oops, let me call Billy first. ;-)
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby slomo007 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:42 am

RynMan wrote:It's done then. Meyer+Duke for Willy Mo?

I'm happy with that....where do I sign?

Oops, let me call Billy first. ;-)

Keep in mind that I am not happy about this deal, but considering the alternatives I would probably strongly consider it. My first goal would be to try VERY hard to get someone to take Casey. Pena has talent, there's no doubt about that. But he has a long way to go to become a superstar. He really needs to mature in to a hitter rather than a swinger. Hopefully he can mature in the coming years....it will be fun to watch him.

That being said, would Oakland want a guy who Ks so much and walks so little? Isn't that going against The Philosophy?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby RynMan » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:26 am

slomo007 wrote:That being said, would Oakland want a guy who Ks so much and walks so little? Isn't that going against The Philosophy?

I think it would be okay. They need a right handed power bat, and if you shortlist the guys who are right handed with power that are cheap, and have a good OBP, the list is very small let alone existent. Willy Mo is the closest thing to what the A's could use, that they realistically could land.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ThatDude » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:03 am

there was a lot of talking about Hendry liking Kearns/Dunn alot during the season, and the Cubs have deep stable of pitching spects, and a hole in RF with Burnitz's option not being picked up

then again, the Cubs major needs dont include a right handed free swinging power bat. some kind of Pena+Freel for Jerome Williams+Angel Guzman+'maybe one other pitcher' deal, then i would get interested.

and id get real interested in any deal for Dunn
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Cincinnati Reds