Team Chemistry: Does It Matter? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Team Chemistry: Does It Matter?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Do You Believe Team Chemistry Matters?

Yes, if only to some degree.
87%
No, not even a little bit.
13%

Total votes : 30

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:09 pm

The debate is quite pointless. Chemistry may or may not matter. I don't know and neither do any of you.

The only way to determine whether or not chemistry matters is to define it, measure it, and test whether or not it has an impact on team performance.

But, frankly, I haven't seen any who believes in chemistry try to do any such thing.

And that's what separates the stat guys from the chemistry guys.

When the stat guys claim something matters, they make an incredible effort to prove it using valid measures and objective methods.

Meanwhile, the chemicians assert chemostry matters, wave their hands, point to a few anecdotes and cite them as definitive proof, and then claim the stat guys are arrogant for not accepting their claimed authority.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Honus » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:11 pm

Nobody was saying that the White Sox had good team chemistry when they were in the process of blowing a 15 game lead to the Indians. Funny how getting on a roll, getting a few breaks in close games and winning have a way of making everyone get along.

A few years ago Bonds and Kent were practically trading punches in the dugout and yet both of them had great years and the Giants made it to the playoffs. These guys are among the top 1000 baseball players in the world. They are professionals who make a lot of money - other than the occasional fruit-loop, they aren't going to not try hard and screw an entire team (and themselves) just because they don't really get along with the third baseman, an outfielder and a relief pitcher.
We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out. Decca Recording, 1962
New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any other reason but because they are not already common. John Locke
Fortune favors the bold. Virgil
Honus
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Honus » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:12 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:The debate is quite pointless. Chemistry may or may not matter. I don't know and neither do any of you.

The only way to determine whether or not chemistry matters is to define it, measure it, and test whether or not it has an impact on team performance.

But, frankly, I haven't seen any who believes in chemistry try to do any such thing.

And that's what separates the stat guys from the chemistry guys.

When the stat guys claim something matters, they make an incredible effort to prove it using valid measures and objective methods.

Meanwhile, the chemicians assert chemostry matters, wave their hands, point to a few anecdotes and cite them as definitive proof, and then claim the stat guys are arrogant for not accepting their claimed authority.

Very well said. ;-D
We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out. Decca Recording, 1962
New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any other reason but because they are not already common. John Locke
Fortune favors the bold. Virgil
Honus
College Coach
College Coach

Postby baseball6791 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:04 am

The Jury wrote:I like these 2 views on team chemistry:

It may not really help, but it definitely doesn't hurt

and

Team chemistry might not win it for you, but lack of it can bite you.

But I also think that team chemistry is a much bigger factor in sports in which players have to work together at all times, such as hockey, basketball, and football. Baseball is sort of a sport in collections of individual talents are put against each other.

I agree with you have said, but only to an extent. I think that chemistry is what can help make a good team great. Will it make a team with no talent good? No. Will it make a team with lots of talent better? No question. For those of you have who have played/coached sports I think it would be hard for you to argue that chemistry is not a factor in a team. In some cases, winning will breed that chemistry, and the chemistry will propel the team to pull through the tough patches of a season. A team with enough talent can win with or without chemistry, but having it only helps.
As for the second part of the statement, I think that your view is probably one shared by most people who have not played baseball at a higher level. Baseball is absolutely a series of individual battles much more so than sports like football/basketball/hockey/soccer/etc., but I think that the amount of teamwork that is involved is baseball is vastly underrated.
Last edited by baseball6791 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Apollo » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:32 am

I think it matters. In football.

In baseball, who cares? They're going out there and playing for a contract, and they're not dependent on each other. Barry Bonds hates everybody, and everybody hits Barry, but he'll still hit a homer every 7 at-bats.

The White Sox had good chemistry once they were up 3-0 in the World Series. They had terrible chemistry when they were blowing the lead to Cleveland and Ozzie Guillen was saying that Damaso Marte was faking an injury. But nobody remembers that now.

And do you honestly think they went the entire year without somebody wanting to murder Carl Everett?

Chemistry sounds all well and good when everyone is partying after the World Series. But the White Sox won because their pitchers went bananas in the last 12 games. The Astros were in the World Series for the same reason. Don't let Harold Reynolds tell you otherwise.
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby fastek24 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:44 am

I really enjoy this discussion.Apolo and Gotowar had among others great comments
fastek24
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers