Team Chemistry: Does It Matter? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Team Chemistry: Does It Matter?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Do You Believe Team Chemistry Matters?

Yes, if only to some degree.
87%
No, not even a little bit.
13%

Total votes : 30

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:33 pm

wrveres wrote:Not to hi-jack but ...

Kevin Brown was good before he went to New York.
Carl Pavono was good until he went to New York.
Jared Wright had a solid season before he went to New York
Randy Johnson was a pitching God before he went to New York
Jeff Weaver was good before he went to New York
Javier Vasquez was good before he went to New York ..

I could go on and on, but you get the idea.

Why do you think that is?

I agree with you to an extent. Brown was good before he went to New York, but he was hardly an elite pitcher. He was a massive injury risk and his attitude problems were well-known (a problem that directly affected his time in New York when he punched a wall.) He actually didn't have a terrible 2004 though.

Lots of people were skeptical on Pavano. There was alot of risk with him...he had only one good year under his belt and was an injury risk as well. He also only pitched half a season, so who knows.

Everyone hated the Wright signing and for good reason. Just a very bad move.

Randy, Vazzy and Weaver are the three big enigmas. However, Randy and Vazzy didn't get a whole lot of time in New York. They each only got one season. Vazquez pitched well for half of that season, but fell apart afterwards. Randy was on and off for his first season, much like Roger Clemens in 1999. Clemens went on to pitch very well for them after that season.

Maybe it just takes time to get used to New York, as was the case with Clemens, A-Rod, etc. They did pull the plug rather quickly on Vazquez. Maybe he could have improved with another year in NY. The Yankees don't have patience though, so we'll never know.

The other explanation would be coaching. That might explain the constant mechanical problems with RJ, and why they could never get Contreras to be the pitcher he is today. :-?

I don't really know.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:40 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:

I agree with you to an extent. Brown was good before he went to New York, but he was hardly an elite pitcher. He was a massive injury risk and his attitude problems were well-known (a problem that directly affected his time in New York when he punched a wall.) He actually didn't have a terrible 2004 though.

Lots of people were skeptical on Pavano. There was alot of risk with him...he had only one good year under his belt and was an injury risk as well. He also only pitched half a season, so who knows.

Everyone hated the Wright signing and for good reason. Just a very bad move.

Randy, Vazzy and Weaver are the three big enigmas. However, Randy and Vazzy didn't get a whole lot of time in New York. They each only got one season. Vazquez pitched well for half of that season, but fell apart afterwards. Randy was on and off for his first season, much like Roger Clemens in 1999. Clemens went on to pitch very well for them after that season.

Maybe it just takes time to get used to New York, as was the case with Clemens, A-Rod, etc. They did pull the plug rather quickly on Vazquez. Maybe he could have improved with another year in NY. The Yankees don't have patience though, so we'll never know.

The other explanation would be coaching. That might explain the constant mechanical problems with RJ, and why they could never get Contreras to be the pitcher he is today. :-?

I don't really know.

Maybe a change at pitching coach is exactly what the Yanks need ..

I don't know either .. :-o
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 757)

Postby Tavish » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:49 pm

HOOTIE wrote:I think winning brings team chemistry. I'm sure it matters some, but how much?

End of discussion.

How great would the White Sox' chemisty have been had they gotten off to a bad start? How great was the Dodger's chemistry the first month, how bad was it the rest of the season? I will buy "veteran leadership" or "playoff hunt experience" well before I buy the team chemistry theory.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby wrveres » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:56 pm

Tavish wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:I think winning brings team chemistry. I'm sure it matters some, but how much?

End of discussion.

How great would the White Sox' chemisty have been had they gotten off to a bad start? How great was the Dodger's chemistry the first month, how bad was it the rest of the season? I will buy "veteran leadership" or "playoff hunt experience" well before I buy the team chemistry theory.

well the Astros did get off to a bad start and ... .. well you know the rest.
They had to adjust to a new 2B, a new 1B and new OF'ers, and leadership has a ton to do with chemistry IMO, be it veteran leadership or other wise. (Managerial)

I would even go so far as to say that the chemistry in Houston was created by Veteran Leadership.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 757)

Postby The Jury » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:27 am

I like these 2 views on team chemistry:

It may not really help, but it definitely doesn't hurt

and

Team chemistry might not win it for you, but lack of it can bite you.

But I also think that team chemistry is a much bigger factor in sports in which players have to work together at all times, such as hockey, basketball, and football. Baseball is sort of a sport in collections of individual talents are put against each other.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:37 am

I'm the only 'No'? Are you serious? Have you guys ever played/coached sports?

In my lifetime, I've witnessed winning breed chemistry, not the other way around. Winning a State Title in High School Soccer is what brought me so close to my teammates; our comradery didn't make us any more skilled/likely to win, not in the slightest. I can say the same about the team I coached this year, as well.

Man, chemistry sounds like an awful nice premise, but something I'd rather leave to the screen writers and media to promote when they don't have anything to say about how talented players/teams are...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby fastek24 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:32 am

IMO team chemistry is like momentum when it comes to baseball both boil down to who is pitching tomorrow!
fastek24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stevethumb » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:51 am

the way your poll is phrased, "yes" is the only reasonable answer even if you don't believe in team chemistry...i feel it is overrated but does have some effect but your poll doesnt offer me that choice
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby chadlincoln » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:59 am

slomo007 wrote:Anyone who answers no to this question after seeing the White Sox win the WS needs to rethink things. Chicago was most definitely not even close to the most talented team, but what they did, they did well and team chemistry played a role. Everyone knew why they were there, and each player knew the others' weaknesses. Iguchi doesn't come up to the plate trying to smack HRs when he's got Konerko behind him, and so on. Team chemistry goes a long way, IMO.

Exactly. Where were the big names? Where were the huge stars? Frank Thomas? You have to have some skill involved, but you can't hate the guys next to you and be as good.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:23 pm

Are you inferring it's the pitching coach? Basically age, and poor signings by Cashman/George.

Brown was 39 when he got to NY, he was about done.
RJ was 41, decline had to come at some point.
Wright had 1 good year, you could say it might have been a fluke.
Pavano had 1 good year, ditto Wright, and park induced.
Weaver and Vasquez just didn't get comfortable in NY.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers