5-8
55%
9-12
18%
Would not pick him early
5%

Total votes : 38

Postby Iconoclastic » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:09 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:I'm loving this no closers till the 8th round business.

That means guys like Rivera, K-Rod, Lidge and a healthy Gagne are not recognised as Top 80 picks by many.

If you honestly believe that then you also don't take SP until to the mid-rounds either.

Sure the top closers have top 80 value. But why take them in the 5th round when you can get slightly lower valued guys, maybe 7th round value, on waivers or the last few picks of the draft (Turnbow, Timlin, Wickman, you name it). In the meantime with those 5-7th round picks you gain much more from filling out your offense or starting pitching than you lose from going from the top tier closers to the next tier.
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:50 pm

I don't think the WS changes anything for me ...
I'll probably stay away from Konerko and Dye since they may be slightly overrated, but Lidge will be fine for next season ..

Mitch Williams wasn't very good anyways, he just had a good season that year. His ratios were horrible for a closer, and if I remember right, didn't he lose it after bieng sent to Houston?

anyways, 40 saves, excellent ratios and 100 k's seems about round 5 or 6 territory to me.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1147)

Postby fastek24 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:43 am

Thanks for the insightful replies. More then anything else it points out the philosophy about picking any closer early. I have to say that I am of the school that says not to pick a closer early.By nature they carry all kinds of issues both on and off the field, they are even more prone to injury then starters andthey are the most unpredictable wonder how many were buying into Danny Kolb and Gagne this year.I'd rather spend an early pick on a reliable if not stud starter and take my chances that a late,late middle reliever hits the jackpot.

Of course there is always luck in the game but I think banking on any closer increases it.If someone had bet you Dusty Hermanson or Todd Jones would help you more then Gagne this year you'd have bet "dollars to doughnuts."

In no other position is the waiver wire so valuble early on and during the season.That's where you got Street this year.Let me pose this question would you ever make a closer a "keeper" I would find it hard not to keep Rivera but am hard pressed to think of any one else.What do you think?
fastek24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:51 am

I wouldn't take any Closer until Round 8 or 9, regardless of who they are.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 817)

Postby giants8307 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:08 am

Iconoclastic wrote:

That means guys like Rivera, K-Rod, Lidge and a healthy Gagne are not recognised as Top 80 picks by many.

If you honestly believe that then you also don't take SP until to the mid-rounds either.

Sure the top closers have top 80 value. But why take them in the 5th round when you can get slightly lower valued guys, maybe 7th round value, on waivers or the last few picks of the draft (Turnbow, Timlin, Wickman, you name it). In the meantime with those 5-7th round picks you gain much more from filling out your offense or starting pitching than you lose from going from the top tier closers to the next tier.

I tried that. I ended up getting takatsu/dotel/percival. I'm getting krod/lidge next year.
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby baseball6791 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:55 am

wrveres wrote:I don't think the WS changes anything for me ...
I'll probably stay away from Konerko and Dye since they may be slightly overrated, but Lidge will be fine for next season ..

Mitch Williams wasn't very good anyways, he just had a good season that year. His ratios were horrible for a closer, and if I remember right, didn't he lose it after bieng sent to Houston?

anyways, 40 saves, excellent ratios and 100 k's seems about round 5 or 6 territory to me.

I agree with wrveres here, and on the topic of when to take closers here is what I think. There are a handful of top teir guys who I would take around round 5, Lidge, K-Rod, Nathan, Rivera, probably Cordero now, maybe Gagne (although I wouldn't risk him this year), because they are solid closers, who barring a MAJOR meltdown have a rock solid hold on the job, will put up 40+ saves with good ratios and K's. After that top teir of guys, you are better off waiting to grab the next hot thing (i.e. Turnbow) then trying to grab mid-level guys in rounds 8-12 who could end up being worthless. Usually (depending on league size/settings/etc.) I try to grab one of the top guys and tehn unless a great bargin comes up later, be a hawk on the W.W and make sure to grab up what is available.

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby prodpaul » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:09 am

I have Lidge on one of my keeper leagues and I plan on Keeping him. I have no worries with him. ;-D

Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Music2004Man » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:01 am

Sorry man, I'm from Philly too and the Carter HR killed me but I can't see the comparison to Williams. Mitch isn't anywhere near Lidge's league. Lidge will be fine next year and I think he falls somewhere between the 3 and 7th closer picked depending on your preference. I said that he would be drafted between the 5th and 9th rounds.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby cordscords » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:49 am

giants8307 wrote:
Iconoclastic wrote:

I tried that. I ended up getting takatsu/dotel/percival. I'm getting krod/lidge next year.

That's exactly what can come back to haunt you. I like to have 1 premier closer, and then try and grab the Beaz's of the fantasy world.

As for Lidge, round 5-8. 6th would be ideal.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 156)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:11 am

I would definitely take him in rounds 4 or 5. It doesn't make sense to have a rule not to take a closer before round 8. There are very few closer jobs out there and even fewer reliable closers. The good ones are pure gold.

I would take Lidge, Nathan or Mariano if they were available in round 5.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers