55%
9-12
18%
Would not pick him early
5%

Total votes : 38

Brad Lidge

Postby fastek24 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:36 pm

I wonder what effect the world series fiasco will have on Lidge.I remember, yes I'm that old, the effect it had on Mitch Williams who was the promising Philly reliever who gave up the famous Joe Carter home run. He never was any good again. He only had that one bad home run and Houston fans are more forgiving then the great Philly fans. I thought I'd post a poll and ask in a mixed 12 team legue where you would draft him. I am one of those as are many of you who don't like picking closers early in a draft,but all things considered in what round would you take him if he was available?
fastek24
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:39 pm

I'm not going to invest heavily in him, but I would still take him at the right price.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby kentx12 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:12 pm

I am not going to take any closer in the top 7 rounds. After that I will try to get 3 to 4 mid level closers after everyone has the top ones.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby The Jury » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:28 pm

I've learned my lesson and I'm not going for early closers this year, but if I was, I wouldn't let what's happened this postseason turn me away from Lidge. I'm sure he'll be fine next year.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby NZF » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:35 pm

I would definitely take him in the 5th round if he was available.

I'd be more concerned about injury risk, Clemens retiring and an ordinary Astros offense that any mental issues and I'd be very surprised if the HR he gave up in the playoffs will have any effect on him at all. In the end it made little difference to the outcome of the series unlike the one Mitch Williams gave up.

The closer mentality he's shown to date just doesn't evaporate on one bad pitch.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:36 pm

I'm careful not to draft closers too early, but in the 5th-8th round range seems about right.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:38 pm

5th round or so is about right,,, but i dont usually mess with closers til round 8 or so
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:15 pm

I wouldnt take him till after round 8, only because he is a closer...not because I think his value has diminished. I wont take closers in the top 8 anymore unless a guy like KRod would somehow slimp by in round 8, same with Lidge, Nathan, etc.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby NZF » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:23 pm

I'm loving this no closers till the 8th round business.

That means guys like Rivera, K-Rod, Lidge and a healthy Gagne are not recognised as Top 80 picks by many.

If you honestly believe that then you also don't take SP until to the mid-rounds either.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bronxxbomber » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:08 pm

I'm another guy who doesn't really draft closers high at all. I've been burned too many times. Lidge is an elite rp, so he deserves to be drafted in the first 5 rounds. I like drafting the best closer available around 5 or 6. You have to be really careful when you do this because after this round you're usually left with the middle tier guys. You can strike gold though if you make the right picks. Last year I got ryan (round 6) and c.cordero (round 8). it's very important that if you wait on a closer you get someone with plenty of upside and limited competition for the job.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers