Furcal - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Mets

Furcal

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Furcal

Postby Coppermine » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:03 pm

Rumor has it the Mets are pursuing Rafael Furcal to play second base next year and providing a nice one-two punch at the top of the order. The Mets need a better on-base-percentage from the top of the order, and Furcal and Reyes are pretty equal as far as speed is concerned.

He is an excellent fielder, and can play second... although it would kind of be a waste of his awesome canon. Personally I don't care for Furcal because 1.) He's a Brave and 2.) He has a horse-face, but I can make an exception if he switches over.

On the down side, it doesn't look like Konerko wants to leave Chicago. Buzzkill!!!
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Furcal

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:26 pm

Coppermine wrote:Rumor has it the Mets are pursuing Rafael Furcal to play second base next year and providing a nice one-two punch at the top of the order. The Mets need a better on-base-percentage from the top of the order, and Furcal and Reyes are pretty equal as far as speed is concerned.

He is an excellent fielder, and can play second... although it would kind of be a waste of his awesome canon. Personally I don't care for Furcal because 1.) He's a Brave and 2.) He has a horse-face, but I can make an exception if he switches over.

On the down side, it doesn't look like Konerko wants to leave Chicago. Buzzkill!!!

For Furcal's sake, I think that would be a bad move for him. He needs to stay at short. If the Mets get him that would certainly be an upgrade, but only if they can do it for the right price while keeping their financial flexibility.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby HiddenIdentity » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:53 pm

How fast would the Mets be if they signed Furcal? Two of the top base-stealers plus Beltran and Cameron who can still run. And don't forget Wright who can still provide some speed.
HiddenIdentity
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby tcliff4 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:32 am

i'm wary of the move for a couple reasons. but most of all, because I think beltran would be a great fit batting second. he prospered at that spot in houston and would have a chance to steal and set the table for floyd, wright, and whoever the mets bring in. Which leads to the other point - the Mets need a slugger much more than they need another speed guy. Yeah, Furcal would be great and he and Reyes would cause all sorts of havoc on the bases, but it prob won't generate as many runs as bringing in a Konerko type. With so many holes to fill in their team, I'd rather see them sign a closer and a slugger and give the Hernandez kid a chance at second.
tcliff4
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:17 am

tcliff4 wrote:i'm wary of the move for a couple reasons. but most of all, because I think beltran would be a great fit batting second. he prospered at that spot in houston and would have a chance to steal and set the table for floyd, wright, and whoever the mets bring in. Which leads to the other point - the Mets need a slugger much more than they need another speed guy. Yeah, Furcal would be great and he and Reyes would cause all sorts of havoc on the bases, but it prob won't generate as many runs as bringing in a Konerko type. With so many holes to fill in their team, I'd rather see them sign a closer and a slugger and give the Hernandez kid a chance at second.

I completely agree... problem is, Konerko wants to stay in Chicago. He'd be the perfect fit.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Coppermine » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:50 pm

According to ESPN's early power rankings, the Mets are sixth with Beltran expected to have a better year, and Furcal to improve the speed and defense of the team in the infield.

I do think the Mets have a legitimate shot at dominating the NL East if...

Bullpen: They nab Billy Wagner to close out games and Heilman can pitch effective long-relief/hold situations.

Middle-of-order-power: Ideally, the Mets need Konerko. If not, Manny could still be an option, but I would be ok with holding onto Floyd and Cameron. It seems though that this is a good time to deal Floyd, coming off of a good year and his value being higher. I don't expect Floyd to have another injury-free year next year.

Furcal: Chances are, the Mets will land Furcal. I totally agree that Beltran would be more effective from the 2 spot, but a Reyes-Furcal one-two combo would be as effective as the Pierre-Castillo combo in Florida. If Beltran can break out of his season slump and bat third effectively in front of a Manny/Konerko type guy, David Wright will break out and be one of baseball's best in the 5th spot. That is, if you're like me and think Wright already is one of baseball's best.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby tcliff4 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:25 pm

I have a feeling that Wagner will be harder to sign now that the Phillies have a competent GM. But I would love to bring in BJ Ryan -- that kid has great stuff.
tcliff4
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:43 pm

BJ would actually be my first choice (well, it depends what we're talking about there...) but the Yankees are going to push hard for him.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:41 pm

Ryan is the better long term option but if I was to pick one of the two for next year it would be Wagner easily. I think the Yankees have a good plan (if the media is accurate) of signing Ryan to setup and eventually assuming the closer spot. Unfortunately the Mets don't have that luxury unless they signed both Ryan and Wagner. Too much competition for that to happen.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to New York Mets