Theo steps down! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Theo steps down!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:44 pm

davidmarver wrote:How about if we use interleague play run totals? That way it gives the NL teams a DH (like a pinch hitter late in the game since closers dont face pitchers).

These are '04 figures because that was my argument at the time (this was at the beginning of this season that this argument occured).

Boston: 18 games, 99 RS
Baltimore: 18 games, 70 RS
Toronto: 18 games, 73 RS
Tampa: 18 games, 95 RS
TOTAL: 72 G, 337 RS = 4.68 R/G

San Fran: 18 games, 106 RS
Colorado: 18 games, 103 RS
LA: 18 games, 83 RS
Arizona: 18 games, 71 RS
TOTAL: 72 G, 363 RS = 5.04 R/G

Don't worry...those NL pinch hitters are worthless out there. ;-7

You're using a teams 18 games (11% of season as a argument?
The 3 AL divisions outscore the 3 NL divisions all the time. A AL closer faces in reality, a tougher batting lineup. NL pinch hitters don't = a AL DH, not even close.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 303)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Yoda » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:45 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:My opinion...

Theo is a moron. There is no reason to leave this job. I want to see him go somewhere with a payroll of $100 million less, and try to win. Then we'll see how much he complains about Boston.

$1.5 million to be GM of the Boston Red Sox? Sign the freakin' deal Theo.

Wow... 8-o
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigken117 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:58 pm

Theo is a moron. There is no reason to leave this job. I want to see him go somewhere with a payroll of $100 million less, and try to win. Then we'll see how much he complains about Boston.

sure there was, he hated his boss. If you hated your boss and you knew you could get whatever you wanted if you quit, would you do it? Sure you would. So did Theo. And that's why Cashman resigned with NY. :-D

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 254)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:07 pm

bigken117 wrote:

sure there was, he hated his boss. If you hated your boss and you knew you could get whatever you wanted if you quit, would you do it? Sure you would. So did Theo. And that's why Cashman resigned with NY. :-D

How can he blame the Red Sox though? They offered him $1.5 million. It's one thing to just decide he doesn't want to do it anymore. Don't whine about it though. The Red Sox did nothing wrong. If he thinks Lucchino is bad, let him come sign under Steinbrenner...he'll committ suicide in less than a week. He probably wouldn't have even gotten the opportunity that he did if it weren't for Lucchino.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 116)

Postby bigken117 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:22 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:How can he blame the Red Sox though? They offered him $1.5 million. It's one thing to just decide he doesn't want to do it anymore. Don't whine about it though. The Red Sox did nothing wrong. If he thinks Lucchino is bad, let him come sign under Steinbrenner...he'll committ suicide in less than a week. He probably wouldn't have even gotten the opportunity that he did if it weren't for Lucchino.

He doesn't blame the Sox for anything. Or whined about anything. Theo will never be the bad guy here, no matter how the Boston Globe tries to spin and smear him. That was the money he was looking for. But when they undermined Theo's authority and accomplishments in the Sunday Globe, he had enough of him. I've never heard of George writing a column for the Post where he bashes his own GM.

As a Sox fan, I'm tremendously disappointed he left and wish Henry had the stones to fire Larry instead, but I commend him for salvaging his dignity and refusing the offer.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 254)

Postby Strasil42 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:26 pm

rotterdam_82 wrote:
wrveres wrote:which of course leads to alot more one runs games now doesnt it .. ;-D

Any stats to back that up?

No, didn't think so........

:-D
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:27 pm

bigken117 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:How can he blame the Red Sox though? They offered him $1.5 million. It's one thing to just decide he doesn't want to do it anymore. Don't whine about it though. The Red Sox did nothing wrong. If he thinks Lucchino is bad, let him come sign under Steinbrenner...he'll committ suicide in less than a week. He probably wouldn't have even gotten the opportunity that he did if it weren't for Lucchino.

He doesn't blame the Sox for anything. Or whined about anything. Theo will never be the bad guy here, no matter how the Boston Globe tries to spin and smear him. That was the money he was looking for. But when they undermined Theo's authority and accomplishments in the Sunday Globe, he had enough of him. I've never heard of George writing a column for the Post where he bashes his own GM.

As a Sox fan, I'm tremendously disappointed he left and wish Henry had the stones to fire Larry instead, but I commend him for salvaging his dignity and refusing the offer.

I heard on the radio that he was blaming Boston and they are the reason he left. I guess I shouldn't put all my faith into talk radio though. !+)

What did the Globe say about him? I did not hear them undermine his moves. What happened?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 116)

Postby wrveres » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:37 pm

Strasil42 wrote:
rotterdam_82 wrote:
wrveres wrote:which of course leads to alot more one runs games now doesnt it .. ;-D

Any stats to back that up?

No, didn't think so........

:-D

edited , since it has become apparent he cant take a joke .. :-t
Last edited by wrveres on Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1147)

Postby wrveres » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:41 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
bigken117 wrote:

I heard on the radio that he was blaming Boston and they are the reason he left. I guess I shouldn't put all my faith into talk radio though. !+)

What did the Globe say about him? I did not hear them undermine his moves. What happened?

the globe ran something about this today .. interesting read .. I didn't realize there were two diferent factions running the Sox, but they sure made it seem like it was a political or a Mafia type of fight. I know I wouldn't like to work in that type of atmosphere
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1147)

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:02 am

davidmarver wrote:Imagine if the Yankees hadn't given Cashman his job back so quickly and had waited until Theo left Boston.

Imagine what he'd do with a 200+ million dollar budget.

I don't think that he'd do anything more. What exactly has he proven that he can do better than Cashman?? He has made his share of mistakes just like Cash.

davidmarver wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:Who cares? They just better stay away from Riccardi. He already said no to them once, I hope that he says no again.

That's the scary thought, I'm thinking Ricciardi could bolt... :-o

Nothing against JP, but i got to ask all, why is Depodesta the bad GM, and no one ever has said a word about JP, who like Paul, is a numbers guy.

JP's record

78-84
86-76
67-94
80-82

That's much worse then DePodestas record in LA. Why does everyone hate Paul, yet i don't recall ever seeing a bad word about JP anywhere ever.

Well, don't the Dodgers have much more to work with than the Jays, as well as having much higher expectations?

And the fact that the Red Sox and Yankees aren't in the Dodgers division every season.

But I thought that the NL West was better than the AL East. :-?

HOOTIE wrote:
davidmarver wrote:And the fact that the Red Sox and Yankees aren't in the Dodgers division every season.

Wasn't it the Padre fans in the Rivera/Hoffman thread who claimed how much tougher Hoffman had it in the NL West?

Exactly.

wrveres wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:
davidmarver wrote:And the fact that the Red Sox and Yankees aren't in the Dodgers division every season.

Wasn't it the Padre fans in the Rivera/Hoffman thread who claimed how much tougher Hoffman had it in the NL West?

Yes it was. But they stopped with that argument after someone posted some almost comical stats to compare the two. The NL west is a joke.

[/size]

The point was ... That all of the teams are competitive in the NL West. Outside of Colorado, Trevor Hoffman does not get to close against the annual doormats known as the Orioles, Rays and Jays

DH or no DH, here are the numbers:

Boston - .281
Tampa Bay - .274
Baltimore - .269
Toronto - .265

Colorado - .267
San Francisco - .261
Arizona - .256
Los Angeles - .253

So, which division has better hitters??

bigken117 wrote:

Undermined?? He is 31 years old and had the best job in America. If he wanted to leave, he could have done so without a press conference. IMHO, it was obviously a power struggle between him and Lucchino but wasn't it Lucchino that got him the job in the first place?? How about not biting the hand that feeds you??

Sorry for the delay in responding to this. I haven't been around much. :-°
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers