Theo steps down! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Theo steps down!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RocketsDWM » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:26 pm

stevethumb wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:Please. Spare me the "Theo's fault" theory. He only brought a championship to Boston for the first time in 86 yrs and has devevloped a farm system that is already beginning to pay dividends at the major league level (Papelbon, DelCarmen, soon to be there: Craig Hansen, Pedroia, Lester). He also signed terrific free agents, mainly Ortiz and Foulke who provided the spark for the title run (terrific value in Ortiz who just resigned for not a huge sum). And I am still not sure how he went broke for 2004 when he basically had the same salary in 2003. Its not like the Sox spent 210 mil that season and broke the bank.

This off-season:
Damon for 9-10 mil is not a bad deal at all. If he costs more than that, then forget him. For this day and age in the FA market, thats not a bad deal for a CF who plays everyday and is a great leadoff hitter.

Timlin will cost them? A one yr deal worth 2 mil I believe? Thats going to cost them? He was only one of the premier set up guys in the league.

And Manny will not leave- this happens every off-season, MLB fans should know that by now.

If we can get Wagner or Ryan to go along with Foulke this season, the bullpen should be fine. As well, Papebon will most likely join the rotation along with Miller again, add to that another quality arm such as Kenny Rogers or Washburn and u have a talented rotation headed by Schill.
....let's not get carried away w/"theo built the farm"...lester and delcarmen and hanley and delgado were already there when theo was hired nov 2002...the red sox are a mess

Perhaps a more appropriate comment would have been that he has maintained and managed the farm system well. He has not traded big name prospects for short-term fixes like other gm's of the sox have done that have depleted our system. He has made some good draft picks and they just need time to develop. Craig Hansen and that OF from Oregon St. seem to be good picks right now.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:11 am

Mookie4ever wrote:Who cares? They just better stay away from Riccardi. He already said no to them once, I hope that he says no again.

That's the scary thought, I'm thinking Ricciardi could bolt... :-o
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby mweir145 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:12 am

jecarney64 wrote:This is very shocking, seems like a power struggle between Theo and Luccino, and Larry has won. Maybe Theo is getting out at the right time, but the yankees don't seem to be building a dynasty either - Kevin Brown... Aaron Small...an aging Randy Johnson....

2006 and beyond is all Blue Jays... B-)
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:26 am

mweir145 wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:Who cares? They just better stay away from Riccardi. He already said no to them once, I hope that he says no again.

Nothing against JP, but i got to ask all, why is Depodesta the bad GM, and no one ever has said a word about JP, who like Paul, is a numbers guy.

JP's record

78-84
86-76
67-94
80-82

That's much worse then DePodestas record in LA. Why does everyone hate Paul, yet i don't recall ever seeing a bad word about JP anywhere ever.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby mweir145 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:14 am

HOOTIE wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

Nothing against JP, but i got to ask all, why is Depodesta the bad GM, and no one ever has said a word about JP, who like Paul, is a numbers guy.

JP's record

78-84
86-76
67-94
80-82

That's much worse then DePodestas record in LA. Why does everyone hate Paul, yet i don't recall ever seeing a bad word about JP anywhere ever.

Well, don't the Dodgers have much more to work with than the Jays, as well as having much higher expectations?
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby davidmarver » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:06 am

mweir145 wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

JP's record

78-84
86-76
67-94
80-82

Well, don't the Dodgers have much more to work with than the Jays, as well as having much higher expectations?

And the fact that the Red Sox and Yankees aren't in the Dodgers division every season.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:27 am

mweir145 wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

JP's record

78-84
86-76
67-94
80-82

JP record

311-336

Shouldn't Toronto have bigger expectations then being .480 the last 4 years?
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:34 am

davidmarver wrote:And the fact that the Red Sox and Yankees aren't in the Dodgers division every season.

Wasn't it the Padre fans in the Rivera/Hoffman thread who claimed how much tougher Hoffman had it in the NL West?
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BritSox » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:55 am

RocketsDWM wrote:This is one of the worst days in Red Sox history. How can u let a young, talented GM walk away without offering the power and the money. Give him Billy Beane money that u were about to shell out for him a couple of yrs ago. This is truly disgraceful. Theo, the best of luck, Lucchino should be gone not u. Im still in shock.

It's not the money. He was reported as having agreed to the money. It's the constant leaks he's tired of.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby bigken117 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:25 am

It's Larry Lucchino writing Shaughnessy's columns for him. There's no way Theo looks like the bad guy in this.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers