Big Hurt exercises 2006 option - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Big Hurt exercises 2006 option

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Big Hurt exercises 2006 option

Postby hooligan1 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:22 pm

So Frank is coming back to the ChiSox and the team declined the option on Everret. I guess they won't be in the market for a DH. Is this a good thing for the Sox? And from a fantasy perspective, is the big guy still capable of being a viable fantasy player? If I'm not mistaken (and I may very well be) he will only qualify at Util, one of only three fantasy-relevent guys who should be DH-only eligible. Also Hafner, Durazo.....and if you really want to reach Juan Gone.

What say you Cafe? Is Big Frank a guy who will be on your fantasy radar next year? Does his position eligibility affect your decision? Where do you see him batting in the line-up and what kind of numbers do you see him being capable of putting up?
Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Postby logan » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:59 pm

i'd take him late again this year just like last year. if he can stay healthy and improve on the bad average he put up during his short time last season he could put up great numbers. it will hard to say what he is gonna do as he has barely played in two years .
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:20 pm

I personally don't think he will be much of a factor. He's old, injured and extremely unreliable. I wouldn't expect much out of him.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:02 pm

Sox can decline his option but at the expense of $3.5 million...so Im pretty sure he'll be back in the white and black.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby DK » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:13 pm

When healthy, Thomas can absolutely mash the ball. At the age of 37 he hit 1 home run every 8.75 at-bats. To compare, at 37 Mark McGwire hit a home run every 10.3 at-bats. The average isn't there anymore but if you need power he is absolutely a guy to have on your radar.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby cordscords » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:27 am

Before he went down for the season in 2004 he led the AL in OBP. Last year I think he knocked out 12 HR in 105 AB.

He can still get the job done ;-D
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Music2004Man » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:10 am

I think that he can still get the job done but I wouldn't be looking at him until later in the draft. I think that his position eligibility, age and injury history are all big knocks against him. I see him as being similar to Griffey both of them were amazing players in their prime who have suffered a plethora or injuries later in their careers. Low risk/high reward pick late in a draft.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:11 am

Cleveland Steamers wrote:Sox can decline his option but at the expense of $3.5 million...so Im pretty sure he'll be back in the white and black.
I actually think the Sox will decline it. The relationship between Thomas and Guillen isn't very good. And I can't see him getting more than $6.5 mil as a free agent so I don't see the sense in paying him $10 mil.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby stumpak » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:37 am

The Sox will almost surely decline.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wrveres » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:21 am

Let him go play 1B in LA ....

he can join the super friends meeting at Cedar Senai with JD Drew and Nomar .... Damn won't those three guys, Thomas, Drew and Nomar look good .. .. "on paper" ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers