Carl Pavano on Trading Block?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Carl Pavano on Trading Block??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:51 pm

slomo007 wrote:I agree if we're talking about what it would take to get him...I see your point there. I guess I am directing this more towards blankman for saying that he "wants no part of him."

His arm stinks, but can't be worse than Bernie's.

I just don't see very many CFers out there for NY, possibly Damon but I'd rather have Pierre anyways personally, but then again you can just sign Damon rather than having to trade for Pierre.


Just because his arm is an upgrade over Bernie's doesn't mean that's a plus. The Yankees aren't looking to go from an F centerfielder to a D centerfielder. That would serve no purpose.

Pierre is a fine player, but the Yankees do not need him. They don't need Damon either. He's similar to Pierre, with probably even more downside. I'd rather the Yankees take a scrub with solid defense to play there until they can either develop a young CF, or find the right person to take over long-term.

The options available to New York right now are not ideal. So rather than go out and take one anyway (what the Yankees usually do) they should wait it out and put crap out there for a year or two if need be...then find the right guy.
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 53)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dyuen87 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:16 pm

:-? hmm i didnt know Pierre's defense was horrible and im still not buying that he's an awful center fielder. offensively however he is the best player out there for them. torii hunter K's a lot and so does mike cameron. plus from what ive heard pierre is a good influence in the club house.

however he is not the ONLY option. im curious who you guys want to play CF still.
Image
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 2514
Joined: 26 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:33 pm

dyuen87 wrote::-? hmm i didnt know Pierre's defense was horrible and im still not buying that he's an awful center fielder. offensively however he is the best player out there for them. torii hunter K's a lot and so does mike cameron. plus from what ive heard pierre is a good influence in the club house.

however he is not the ONLY option. im curious who you guys want to play CF still.


He is not a good CF.

He is not the best offensive CF available. Damon is a better hitter than Pierre.

I already said that I don't really care who plays center as long as they can play solid defense. They won't get the long-term fix this offseason. That long-term fix is not available for the right price. I'd rather play Bubba Crosby for a year than sign Damon for 5 years or trade the farm (what's left of it) for Juan Pierre.
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 53)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby brandnew » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:52 pm

K's don't really matter all that much.
Image
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3599
Joined: 8 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The 909!

Postby blankman » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:22 am

slomo007 wrote:I agree if we're talking about what it would take to get him...I see your point there. I guess I am directing this more towards blankman for saying that he "wants no part of him."

His arm stinks, but can't be worse than Bernie's.

I just don't see very many CFers out there for NY, possibly Damon but I'd rather have Pierre anyways personally, but then again you can just sign Damon rather than having to trade for Pierre.


It's the exact same argument for Damon. The cost is not at all worth it for either player. That's why I want no part of either.

All they need is a guy to run the ball down out there.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:26 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:
dyuen87 wrote::-? hmm i didnt know Pierre's defense was horrible and im still not buying that he's an awful center fielder. offensively however he is the best player out there for them. torii hunter K's a lot and so does mike cameron. plus from what ive heard pierre is a good influence in the club house.

however he is not the ONLY option. im curious who you guys want to play CF still.


He is not a good CF.

He is not the best offensive CF available. Damon is a better hitter than Pierre.

I already said that I don't really care who plays center as long as they can play solid defense. They won't get the long-term fix this offseason. That long-term fix is not available for the right price. I'd rather play Bubba Crosby for a year than sign Damon for 5 years or trade the farm (what's left of it) for Juan Pierre.


Completely agreed. I wouldn't give Damon 4 years and at his salary, I'd just ignore him.

I'd like to see Thompson get a shot or anyone that can just play defense.

Hunter's out there next year, just wait on him and see how he recovers.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:46 am

Cracking me up ...

First of all, this is a RUMOR, and of all things by the New York Post. I saw this on Rotoworld too and automatically looked at it as some reporter just creating an article.

Second. Didn't Pavano sign for three years? nope I am wrong, it was 5
06:$8M,
07:$10M,
08:$11M,
09:$13M club option ($1.95M buyout)
So the Yankees out spent everybody for his services, and then are trying to dump his horrible contract on the league, imagine that. And looking at those figures, they are going to have to swallow a huge portion of his deal.

Third. apparently Yankees fans learned nothing from the Vasquez deal did they? I thought you all were fans? I thought you watched every game, and we didn't know what we were talking about cus we didn't watch the ones that weren't shoved down our throat? .. ..

Pavano, if traded, could demand to be traded at the end of the year. its part of the MLB collective bargaining agreement. If The team he is traded too, doesn't in turn trade him away, he can become a free agent.

So New York is going to ..

A) pay very little of that 50.00 million while
B) trading him to some schlep of a team
C) who in turn gives up a prospect or two, while
D) Pavano walks away from the team.

Yeah right!!
Last edited by wrveres on Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 642)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:27 am

I can't see Pavano going anywhere and I don't think its in the team's best interest to give him away anyway.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby swingaway » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:46 am

how about this
twins get
Pavno,Duncan(isnt he a 3rd baseman?), cash that would lower Pavnos deal to around 8-9 mill, Soriano

Yanks get
Hunter, Romero (lefty bullpen guy)
Then sign Burnett and another Rp(timlin?) in free agency ;-)
1. Unit, 2.Burnett,3. Moose, 4.Chacon,5. Small, Wright, or Wang

Then for the 3rd team in this deal

Rangers get
Pavno
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 1638
Joined: 6 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: at the cafe

Postby blankman » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:01 am

swingaway wrote:how about this
twins get
Pavno,Duncan(isnt he a 3rd baseman?), cash that would lower Pavnos deal to around 8-9 mill, Soriano

Yanks get
Hunter, Romero (lefty bullpen guy)
Then sign Burnett and another Rp(timlin?) in free agency ;-)
1. Unit, 2.Burnett,3. Moose, 4.Chacon,5. Small, Wright, or Wang

Then for the 3rd team in this deal

Rangers get
Pavno


First, its PavAno and 2nd, how can both the Rangers AND Twins get him in the deal?

I don't think Burnett is even on NYY's radar.

And Duncan's defense is so bad that he won't be a 3B.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 17:52 hours
(and 96 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact