Character, the new blueprint for success, or so they say? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Character, the new blueprint for success, or so they say?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Character, the new blueprint for success, or so they say?

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:02 pm

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/sportsevent/ ... 1309990001

Kenny said they accepted less talent for character instead. Does this imply CLee was lacking charcater, and Pods has it?

Improving era 1.30 will do wonders. The offense scored 124 fewer runs this year. Kenny said they got blown out alot in 04, that they wanted more oba, less power. The 04 team had a .333 oba average, versus the champs .322. If you have a 4.91 era, you are going to get blown out alot. So why don't they say, in 04 the pitching was bad, in 05 it was great? What they are saying is scoring less runs, having a lower oba, but gaining character was the difference.

Does Manny have great character? He's always disrupting the clubhouse in some way. Yet he got a ring in 04. But now character is the way to go? And how exactly do you know if a guy has good character?

Chicago's post season era was 2.55. Wow. The worst pitcher was at a 3.47 era. Chicago had a .476 slugging% in the playoffs, versus a .425 regular season slugging %. Seems great pitching, and slugging was the key in the post season.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Re: Character, the new blueprint for success, or so they say

Postby bronxxbomber » Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:24 am

HOOTIE wrote:http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/sportsevent/ ... 1309990001

Kenny said they accepted less talent for character instead. Does this imply CLee was lacking charcater, and Pods has it?

Improving era 1.30 will do wonders. The offense scored 124 fewer runs this year. Kenny said they got blown out alot in 04, that they wanted more oba, less power. The 04 team had a .333 oba average, versus the champs .322. If you have a 4.91 era, you are going to get blown out alot. So why don't they say, in 04 the pitching was bad, in 05 it was great? What they are saying is scoring less runs, having a lower oba, but gaining character was the difference.

Does Manny have great character? He's always disrupting the clubhouse in some way. Yet he got a ring in 04. But now character is the way to go? And how exactly do you know if a guy has good character?

Chicago's post season era was 2.55. Wow. The worst pitcher was at a 3.47 era. Chicago had a .476 slugging% in the playoffs, versus a .425 regular season slugging %. Seems great pitching, and slugging was the key in the post season.

well said. it's like the gm forget that the pitching held up most of the season and their bats woke up in the playoffs.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Half Massed » Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:10 pm

Well, he's just fluffing them up. Trying to instill a bit of legend in them and all that. As long as he doesn't say they win due to a hearty breakfast each morning, I'll be ok. ;-)
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Niffoc4 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:41 pm

Its funny that Williams would mention character as a plus for this team, because I was just reading about how guys like Bobby Jenks were talented players with character/makeup problems who put it together this year... basically that Williams had placed talent in front of character and it worked...
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby stumpak » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:24 pm

It's amazing how this sort of analysis alludes sportwriters and TV talking heads. The real story is not that the Sox discovered some sort of magic formula, the real story is that a team degraded its offense over the offseason, installed an productive offensive philosophy and still managed to win it all because his pitching was so good. No GM is perfect, but I am sick of hearing that the Sox are soem sort of new paradigm when they managed to make their team WORSE than it otherwise would have been over the last off season.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Big Pimpin » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:52 pm

Niffoc4 wrote:Its funny that Williams would mention character as a plus for this team, because I was just reading about how guys like Bobby Jenks were talented players with character/makeup problems who put it together this year... basically that Williams had placed talent in front of character and it worked...

I had read something along those lines as well. Guys like Jenks, Freddy, AJP, Everett, they all had character issues, but the White Sox were willing to take the chance on them and it certainly paid off.

stumpak wrote:It's amazing how this sort of analysis alludes sportwriters and TV talking heads. The real story is not that the Sox discovered some sort of magic formula, the real story is that a team degraded its offense over the offseason, installed an productive offensive philosophy and still managed to win it all because his pitching was so good. No GM is perfect, but I am sick of hearing that the Sox are soem sort of new paradigm when they managed to make their team WORSE than it otherwise would have been over the last off season.

You can argue this all you want, but I see no validity to this contention. You may think they're not as talented, but going from sitting home watching the playoffs to winning the WS proves, without question, that they made their team far better over the last offseason.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby davidmarver » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:15 pm

People are also looking for a way to set their championship team apart from the others. Since numbers won't support that kind of claim, they look for superficial attributes. Kinda lame, but that'd be the explanation.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:16 pm

davidmarver wrote:People are also looking for a way to set their championship team apart from the others. Since numbers won't support that kind of claim, they look for superficial attributes. Kinda lame, but that'd be the explanation.

Strangely, I agree.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby RAmst23 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:51 pm

I think we looking back and studying these White Sox, people will probably come to the conclusion of "How the hell did that happen?" The offense downgraded, and the pitching got better really out of nowhere. Jon Garland posts an ERA of 3.50 with 18 wins, and Contreras pitches 200+ innings and racks up 15 wins. If anyone wants to point at who the important members of the White Sox were this year, it should be these two.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby baseball6791 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:31 am

bigh0rt wrote:
davidmarver wrote:People are also looking for a way to set their championship team apart from the others. Since numbers won't support that kind of claim, they look for superficial attributes. Kinda lame, but that'd be the explanation.

Strangely, I agree.

As do I.

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers