Just Manny being freaking annoying... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Just Manny being freaking annoying...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:33 pm

The lastest rumor has the Angels, D-Backs and Red Sox making a 3 way swap.
According to baseball sources, trade talks probably will expand to include the Arizona Diamondbacks, who could send third baseman Troy Glaus to the Red Sox in a three-way deal. In exchange for Ramirez, the Angels could send first baseman Darin Erstad and a prospect or two to Boston and additional players and prospects to Arizona.

link
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:37 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:The lastest rumor has the Angels, D-Backs and Red Sox making a 3 way swap.
According to baseball sources, trade talks probably will expand to include the Arizona Diamondbacks, who could send third baseman Troy Glaus to the Red Sox in a three-way deal. In exchange for Ramirez, the Angels could send first baseman Darin Erstad and a prospect or two to Boston and additional players and prospects to Arizona.

link

LMAO... Darin Erstad for Manny Ramirez? The Sox will never do that. They're not that stupid. Even for the cap room, Erstad still makes 8 or 9 million so it's not the difference they're looking for. Besides, Erstad stinks.

Edit: I just saw Glaus to Boston in there too. OK, that's not as stupid but it's still not a good idea for the Sox to do. That's even less cap room for still less talent.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:41 pm

dyuen87 wrote:
rlee wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:MANNY IN NEW YORK! MANNY IN NEW YORK! PLEASE!

By the time he starts causing trouble, his contract will be up. ;-D

As a Mets fan, I hope they stay far away from Manny. He's now approaching his mid-30s, and has 3 straight years of declining batting ave. and OPS. The package it would take to land him would be too expensive, probably one component would be Lastings Milledge. They have mortgaged their future too many times, going all the way back to trading Nolan Ryan for a beaten up, decrepit Jim Fregosi. No! No! No! Thanks. Bosox ... keep your resident headcase.

minaya wont give up milledge and take on manny's contract. but to say no way to manny, i say you're insane. if you remembered 2005, the biggest thing down the stretch was the Mets inconsistent offense. if you add manny's bat to that lineup, sure you'll get a declining average and probably a drop in homers, but you'll get 100+ rbis.

The Mets are built to win NOW. pedro will start a decline, if he hasnt already, glavine has finally got it together, and floyd is getting up there in age. they are a lot closer than most people realize and manny could put them over the edge.

I agree. The Mets are built to win now. You're probably only getting one more CY Young calibre season out of Pedro, and Glavine is at the end of his rope. You need to role the dice, preferably not giving up Milledge, but you need a huge bat like Manny's. You talk of his declining numbers, but how do you argue with .292 45hrs, 144rbis. Do you have any idea what kind of help that would be to the Mets offense? Not to mention it would blow away the single season record for the Mets in both HR's and RBI's...if those are his numbers, I'll take them on the decline any day of the week.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Phatferd » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:42 pm

DK wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:The lastest rumor has the Angels, D-Backs and Red Sox making a 3 way swap.

link

LMAO... Darin Erstad for Manny Ramirez? The Sox will never do that. They're not that stupid. Even for the cap room, Erstad still makes 8 or 9 million so it's not the difference they're looking for. Besides, Erstad stinks.

Edit: I just saw Glaus to Boston in there too. OK, that's not as stupid but it's still not a good idea for the Sox to do. That's even less cap room for still less talent.

I doubt this happens, but Erstad has 1 year left so that contract is done with in a year I can see Boston eating it to save 3 more years of Manny's salary.

It also says prospects to Boston. The Angel's could include McPherson and or Kendrick (I doubt Kendrick). They won't ship Kotchman if they get rid of Erstad. Even though Kendry Morales is looking really solid.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:52 pm

The Mets current core (Reyes/Wright/Beltran) is very young so I disagree that they are just built to win now. The pitching is old but will be replaceable through the minor league system as well as free agency. I think the Mets are in a best of both worlds scenario so hopefully they don't screw it up.

I say yes to Manny if it's primarily a salary dump. Why not? Win now. If it's going to cost too much young talent then forget it. Milledge has a good chance of being with the Mets in '07 and then you have a core of Reyes/Milledge/Wright/Beltran which is pretty damn exciting. Considering the Mets financial flexibility on top of that and I think the future is extremely bright.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Music2004Man » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:08 am

DK wrote:

link

This looks to be a really interesting trade rumor. I would guess that even with getting Glaus and Erstad the prospects that are going to be thrown around in that trade are going to be really solid.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Simulacrum » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:34 pm

link

Yeah, but what's in it for the D-Backs?! The link won't work for me without a password. Please someone elaborate a little on this.
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby chadlincoln » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:42 pm

jh2031 wrote:
chadlincoln wrote:Now that the Cubs are free of Sammy's salary and hopefully rid of Nomar (because we're getting Furcal ;-D ) I'd love to pick up Manny and have the Cubs put down some more $$$. Heck, we'll throw in Wood too. Please. Please just take him.

That's a lot of wishful thinking right there.

I can dream, can't I? ;-D
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby chadlincoln » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:44 pm

DK wrote:

link

I agree. That's a terrible deal. I wonder how negotiations will go with their new GM, whoever it is, coming in.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers